The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Aesthetic Differences from LOTR ???

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jul 14 2015, 8:47pm

Post #1 of 11 (1391 views)
Shortcut
Aesthetic Differences from LOTR ??? Can't Post

I just watched The Hobbit trilogy in a rush, which is a great experience, (and of course I'm continuing with LOTR) and it got me thinking about all the conscious decisions PJ made for The Hobbit aesthetically speaking, which are meant do differentiate one trilogy from the other.

Which ones do you think they are?

For once the camera work is different: LOTR has this very "guerrilla" style in many scenes, which makes it feel more "real" and gritty. The Hobbit has this perfectly controlled camera movements which makes it very "taleish" in comparison.

Also, the color palette of course is different, and I dare to say all the indoor filming and green screen used is not only meant for practicality, but to achieve a more controlled aesthetic, a very styled one, much more than LOTR.

what do you think?

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jul 14 2015, 10:15pm

Post #2 of 11 (1308 views)
Shortcut
They should've done it like LOTR, like PJ originally said... [In reply to] Can't Post

...He actually said it would be weird to film The Hobbit in 3D and in a different way, because the two trilogies (then trilogy & duology) are supposed to be tied to one another. Apparently, they changed their minds when Avatar came out, proving that 3D would generate lots of extra money from ticket sales. Eventually, they killed the aesthetic of The Hobbit by deciding to film it digitally and in HFR. As a result, they had to rely on computer effects and it just became a soulless CGI fest. In the beginning, they seemed to have good ideas, but those ideas seem to have been tossed away, unfortunately. I would've much preferred for the aesthetic to have been more akin to that of the LOTR trilogy, since it's supposed to be set in the same world.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2015, 10:27pm

Post #3 of 11 (1303 views)
Shortcut
For many, many years people thought there was no way to film ME, [In reply to] Can't Post

Then they think there is no other way to film ME. This happens all the time with change, it seems.

In a sense, who knows, but in general I tend to think that attempts to recapture the past, the experiences of our past or to build from foundations of nostalgia tend to be unlikely to succeed.

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 15 2015, 1:31am

Post #4 of 11 (1229 views)
Shortcut
I really disagree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

This is to say nothing about whether or not TH is more successful of an aesthetic than LOTR, but the film industry tends to move in waves. Some are good, and some are bad, but I wouldn't say intentional plays at recreating experience or nostalgia are typically failures. A good example of someone working towards nostalgia to a fever pitch of marketing brilliance is J.J. Abrams with the new Star Wars. This film is going to shatter all box office records, and in no small part due to building upon nostalgic foundations. I also happen to think that it will simply be a good film because of the talented team and cast on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY

(This post was edited by Bishop on Jul 15 2015, 1:32am)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Jul 15 2015, 4:14am

Post #5 of 11 (1188 views)
Shortcut
I am burning... [In reply to] Can't Post

with excitement for the new star wars movie. That comicon real looks so promising. So old school. So good.

Bishop
Gondor

Jul 15 2015, 4:25am

Post #6 of 11 (1184 views)
Shortcut
Right?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello sir! Not to derail this thread, but a friend of mine said something the other day that really hit me. He said the last time a movie event had this much of a positive aura around it was for FOTR. And I agree with him.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2015, 8:46am

Post #7 of 11 (1118 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure that would leap out to me as an example someone recreating an aesthetic [In reply to] Can't Post

Or a broader recreation but even if, for the sake of argument, we put it in one pan of he balance, I would imagine it and its companions would be heavily outweighed by the sequels, remakes and reboots in the other pan.

I thought it was a fairly generally held take that it is less likely that "Original Sequel 5: The Son of Original" is going to turn out to be better than "Original", than the reverse.

But it's possible that folks generally think it heads the other way and I've just not come across that as the usual view.

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jul 15 2015, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 11 (1012 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not because of nostalgia - it's purely because the aesthetic of The Lord of the Rings trilogy was superior - it looked like fantasy, but still felt and seemed real - and making a prequel to it that looks very different simply doesn't work. If you want it to be an installment in that series, then make it look like one, because shoehorning LOTR references into it can't possibly justify the lack of that aesthetic or anything that even comes close to that aesthetic - and if you don't know if recreating that aesthetic will be possible or a successful attempt, then at least TRY to do it instead of making it look like a completely different franchise, or at least try to have it resemble the established look in a way that makes it visually consistent enough. It seemed like they weren't even trying. There's nothing wrong with attempting to make it look like the way an older film does for the sake of visual consistency - I have much more respect for directors who do that than for those who are just trying to stay relevant and on top of the business.

Different ways to film ME are just fine, as long as it's a different version of ME as well, which was not the case here.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 15 2015, 6:30pm

Post #9 of 11 (1002 views)
Shortcut
More mature filming on more immature book material [In reply to] Can't Post

What struck me reading that thread is that the Hobbit could have been filmed before LOTR.
That way, you would have somewhat immature filming on immature book material

If so, we can be sure that nothing like trying to equal the trilogy to come would have been attempted in the first movie. It would have been more humble : two movies, maybe only one.

The magic of the discovery of Middle Earth would have still been discovered and the benefice of freshness would have been there. Audiences would have liked it, but it would never have become a smash hit like a trilogy : it would have become something slightly less than Fellowship of the Ring.

Then the LOTR trilogy would have come with a much more dramatic texture and a wider scope, 3D-enhanced. Mature filming on mature material. Audiences would have been in awe in front of Peter Jackson talent 10 years later. Suggesting he, and no one else, would have done the trilogy.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2015, 9:54pm

Post #10 of 11 (947 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if you mistook my point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't suggesting a preference for LOTR because of nostalgia. Instead that creators seeking to replicate instead of innovate rarely produces success.

The rest I wouldn't agree with at all, mind you. It sounds like something which would address the sort of concerns which worry about DVD cases matching - quite the wrong aspirations, I would say.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Jul 16 2015, 10:32am

Post #11 of 11 (885 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

So far, this new SW movie looks to be the most expensive fan film ever made. Abrams just seems a little TOO enamored with Episodes IV-VI to offer much of a fresh perspective on the series; it more likely needed someone who DIDN'T come in wearing rose-tinted glasses. Crazy The fact that he's apparently deviating from Lucas' original Episode VII-IX storyline doesn't help, either (I still claim there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the prequel trilogy storyline; you can argue all you want about its execution, but that's a different matter Tongue ... and at least they still FELT like SW to me).
I, for one, was glad "The Hobbit" was drawn out into a trilogy. I appreciated the almost real-time feel it had... and if there's anywhere in the film universe I'd want to feel as though it were taking place in real-time, it's Middle-Earth. Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.