It's the middle-of-July reading thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Jul 20 2015, 2:12am

Post #26 of 33 (388 views)
Shortcut
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a fictional story based on real life events - for 75 years from the mid-nineteenth century to the beginning of the Depression, orphans in New York were put on trains and sent out to the Midwest. Some ended up as little more than indentured servants working on farms, others were eventually adopted by their new families, and some ran away. There were 200,000 children sent out on these trains in total.

The book centers on one girl who was put on a train in 1929 after she was orphaned a few years after her family emigrated from Ireland. Her story is interlaced with a present day story of a girl in the foster care system, with a lot of parallels in the two girls' stories.

I really liked this book - it was an easy read in terms of speed and accessibility, but the subject matter is one that I'd never heard of, and it was hard to read in places when some less than pleasant things happen to the orphans. I'm amazed that this was allowed to happen for so many years, and that it's not really a well known historical tale. In theory, they were trying to give the children a better life (some were living on the streets of NY), and in many cases, that did happen, but still, shipping kids off and letting pretty much any random person be allowed to take them home seems rather incomprehensible to me. There was some interesting historical information and photos at the end of the book about real life "train riders."

Mikah
Lorien

Jul 20 2015, 2:59am

Post #27 of 33 (381 views)
Shortcut
I am in agreement with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

To the best of my knowledge, O'Brien has not revealed it and as you point out, most likely never will. It was indeed bad enough being a baby buffalo, but you just don't really know what people are capable of. On second thought, maybe we do know what people are capable of and that is what causes us to question the story..sigh.

I am very sorry about The Fellowship reading. I did read along some of the posts the first month and thought it was coming along nicely Everyone's insights always make me think of the stories in a way that I hadn't before. I love book discussions for that reason. Regrettably, I was just under so much stress that I was in no condition to participate. Had too much on my plate at the time. I am wondering if possibly people were really busy during the time it was going on or possibly they had stuff going on too? Either way, I will keep my eyes peeled for the next book reading, if it should so happen!Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 3:12am

Post #28 of 33 (377 views)
Shortcut
*waves wildly! Hullo Mikah!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mikah
Lorien

Jul 20 2015, 3:35am

Post #29 of 33 (373 views)
Shortcut
Runs over and gives a bear hug! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Brethil! I was just telling CG earlier how much I have missed you guys! I hope you are all well! I hope Rem Rem is good too!!!!

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 5:35am

Post #30 of 33 (368 views)
Shortcut
*waves* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, Mikah!

Couldn't resist saying hi while I saw your around the boards. Smile

*sigh* Yes, I've also been unable to participate in the LOTR read-through since the first couple chapters, regrettably. Always hopeful for the future, though...

And *waves at CG, if he sees this*! Haven't seen you all as much since I've been away from the RR.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 12:22pm

Post #31 of 33 (347 views)
Shortcut
That's a very handy chart, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I plunged in at "The Truth," the one about newspapers, and am enjoying it immensely so far. How can one person write so many books??? And just when I had finally thinned out my overstuffed home library. Smile

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 12:25pm

Post #32 of 33 (347 views)
Shortcut
There's enough of us waving to to stir the air on this hot, summer day. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

*Waves back at Cats!!* Good to see you as well, and I certainly don't want to lose touch with folks here.

Mikah
Lorien

Jul 20 2015, 1:55pm

Post #33 of 33 (336 views)
Shortcut
Runs over and hugs Cats too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ya Cats! It is great to see you! I too, am hopeful for the future!Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.