Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Any ideas/ insight as to what happened here...

aruman
Rivendell

Jul 14 2015, 1:24am

Post #1 of 5 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Any ideas/ insight as to what happened here... Can't Post

Last night I finished The first half of the two towers (book 3). I've read this book many times, but it just occurred to me, I still don't know what happened with this…

Pippin has just looked into the Palantir, and the Nazgul flies overhead.

Gandalf lists several possible outcomes to the Nazgul's journey to Orthanc:

1.) first of all, Gandalf mentions that (he believes) while in Orthanc, Saruman has the power to withstand the Nine. To me, this seems like it might imply that ALL nine may eventually journey to Orthanc, which doesn't seem to have happened.

2.) Gandalf mentions that Saruman might try to trap the nazgul

3.) he speculates that Saruman might try to slay the Nazgul's steed.

Furthermore, I wonder how the presence of the Ents would affect any Nazgul entrance into Isengard.

Considering that we never hear about this issue again, or what happened during the Nazgul's trip to Isengarf, as far as I can remember, I guess nothing really critical happened here.

Has anyone ever read anything about this, maybe in the letters, or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

(This post was edited by aruman on Jul 14 2015, 1:33am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 14 2015, 12:55pm

Post #2 of 5 (1448 views)
Shortcut
I have the same impressions that you do. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf suggests all kinds of things could happen, but none of them seem to come to pass. The most I can make out from the logic of the story is that a Nazgul does fly to Orthanc, sees the devastation, and either 1) turns around and goes home, having drawn his own conclusions, or 2) tries to have a little chat with Saruman, who probably refuses to communicate and stays safely inside his tower, and the Nazgul goes home without attacking the Ents or any further ado, considering the whole situation lost.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 14 2015, 1:10pm

Post #3 of 5 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Pippin has just looked into the Palantir, and the Nazgul flies overhead. [In reply to] Can't Post

This was just coincidence:

’But it was not coming for me, was it? faltered Pippin. ‘I mean, it didn’t know that I had. . .’
‘Of course not,’ said Gandalf. ‘It is two hundred leagues or more in straight flight from Barad-dur to Orthanc, and even a Nazgul would take a few hours to fly between them. . .’

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 15 2015, 1:10pm

Post #4 of 5 (1375 views)
Shortcut
That's right - and perhaps Saruman quickly drops way down Sauron's list of priorities [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice that while Gandalf speculates a bit about what Saruman will do now, he starts that passage from having pointed out how Saruman has got himself into a pickle now (no captive to send, no palantir with which to explain himself...). Gandalf's point, I think, is to explain how Saruman is in every bit as bad a position as he would have been had he agreed to help Gandalf. Then Gandalf quickly moves onto to a greater concern - what might Sauron learn from Saruman or Wormtongue about Gandalf, hobbits, or the heir of Elendil? So overall, I don't think Tolkien is all that interested in writing about a Saruman vs Nazgul showdown - for all that would be a set piece action scene for another storyteller!

Anyway, maybe no showdown happens: Nazgul A ought to be able to report back not only that Saruman's power has been broken, but perhaps it can also tell that Saruman has not got the Ring. If it can report back both of those things, then I'd imagine Saruman would drop way down Sauron's list of priorities.

I'm also thinking that Sauron is quickly given other things to ponder: Aragorn looks in the palantir and wrests it from Sauron's control, seemingly with the intent of goading Sauron into hasty action. He deliberately reveals his identity, and perhaps Sauron jumps to the conclusion that Aragorn has the Ring as well as the palantir.

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

My avatar image s looking a bit blue, following the rumbling of my 2 "secrets" Wink : http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=855358#855358

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

squire
Half-elven

Jul 15 2015, 1:59pm

Post #5 of 5 (1373 views)
Shortcut
"A set piece action scene for another storyteller" [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, Tolkien resisted writing explicit battle scenes, whether magical or mortal. He was far more interested, I think, in the moral equation than the physical, something that I think a lot of writers, filmmakers, and even fans are less interested in compared to evoking the excitement and adrenaline rush of combat. As well, he knew that magic once described in detail becomes less magical, and more scientific, to a modern audience's eyes.

"How does he do that, exactly?" the reader would ask if given a detailed account of Gandalf's battle with the Nazgul on Weathertop, a blow by blow of the battle of the peak with the balrog, duking it out with the Witch King on the Pelennor, Galadriel resisting the onslaught of Dol Guldur, or your original suggestion of how Saruman might fend off the attack of a winged Nazgul.

Not that we don't get hints and occasional glimpses of magical might - the balrog on the bridge, the breaking of the gate of Minas Tirith, flashes of white fire good for five Nazgul-repelling points to save Faramir - but less is definitely more with Tolkien in such matters.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.