The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mysterious theme....

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 14 2015, 12:46am

Post #1 of 13 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Mysterious theme.... Can't Post

This theme plays many times during the movies, ever when I hear it, I question maself what theme is that...

I think it plays when something mysterious is happening...

Here some points:

My Dear Frodo 6: 36 - 6: 55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfKpqqU-mlI

Old Friends
4:37 - 4:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QcbvM0Ng1w

Troll Hoard 1: 02 - 1: 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_4r4o4LrKM

The Gathering of the Clouds 0:39 - 0:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buXoBUvP6Hw

Courage and Wisdom 2:53 - 3:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv7IqnXyoIQ

Do you know what theme is that?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

(This post was edited by DainPig on Jul 14 2015, 12:51am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 14 2015, 4:11am

Post #2 of 13 (1570 views)
Shortcut
I love this "theme" [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminds me of the music from The Shadow of the Past from the FOTR OST. It has that sense of mysterious, brooding ancientry.

I've no idea what it represents. In the Troll Hoard instance, it almost sounds like Gollum's Theme; like something that played in the Forbidden Pool sequence in TTT.

There's some themes on my website (link in footer) that were identified on the Special Editions on the Hobbit soundtracks. Those were just the major, obvious ones though... this seems like one of those minor ones that could pretty much represent anything.

On a related note, that theme for the map of the Lonely Mountain that played in FOTR was reprised in AUJ very briefly, and I can't wait for the Complete Recordings (fingers crossed we get them) to hear it again.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 14 2015, 9:21am

Post #3 of 13 (1451 views)
Shortcut
From what I can tell... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the JWFan forums, which have a super-thorough track-by-track analysis, it was what they call a theme for "Thorin's Pride" in AUJ.

But it seems to have been used for Thranduil in the other two films, so I suppose you could call it "The Pride of Kings" or something :p

But it hasn't been officially identified, as far as I know.

Also, Thorin's theme grew out of the FOTR map music - see here: https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/551838066319843328

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 14 2015, 11:47am

Post #4 of 13 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always maintained on JW Fan that it was a theme intended to represent the animosity between Thorin and the Elves, hence why it was largely transplanted to Thranduil from film 2 onwards. I don't think the rendition heard when Bilbo is defending Thorin should necessarily sway people's influence, as I'm not convinced that was Shore's original intention there.

This is not to be confused with Bilbo's Burglar motif, heard at various points in the AUJ soundtrack.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 14 2015, 5:20pm

Post #5 of 13 (1278 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It reminds me of the music from The Shadow of the Past from the FOTR OST. It has that sense of mysterious, brooding ancientry.

I've no idea what it represents. In the Troll Hoard instance, it almost sounds like Gollum's Theme; like something that played in the Forbidden Pool sequence in TTT.

There's some themes on my website (link in footer) that were identified on the Special Editions on the Hobbit soundtracks. Those were just the major, obvious ones though... this seems like one of those minor ones that could pretty much represent anything.

On a related note, that theme for the map of the Lonely Mountain that played in FOTR was reprised in AUJ very briefly, and I can't wait for the Complete Recordings (fingers crossed we get them) to hear it again.

By the way, the mysterious map music from FOTR can be heard a couple of times in the 'Old Friends (Extended Version)' track on the special edition the AUJ soundtrack (it's also in the standard version of the track but only appears once).

I too would like Complete Recordings!

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jul 14 2015, 5:20pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 14 2015, 5:26pm

Post #6 of 13 (1277 views)
Shortcut
From what I've gathered (mainly from what Doug Adams has said online) [In reply to] Can't Post

This music refers to the struggle of the dwarves but is built upon the rising figures of elven music (since the elves did not help the dwarves).
My Dear Frodo

These seem to relate to being sneaky or hiding things. Some people call this a 'burglar motif' but according to Doug Adams no such thing exists.
Old Friends
Troll Hoard

These two seem to refer to Thranduil (it also appears in DOS once when he speaks to Thorin)
The Gathering of the Clouds
Courage and Wisdom

All these bits of music do sound very similar to me so there could be a strong connection between them all.

Doug Adams
Bree

Jul 14 2015, 9:59pm

Post #7 of 13 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

It applies broadly to the Dwarves and their plight. It's not directly related to any other themes, though as a few have noted, it's a very different sort of a theme for the Dwarves (elegant leaping arpeggios rather than compact and stepwise).

More in time.

Doug Adams

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 15 2015, 4:57pm

Post #8 of 13 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Now that we're talking about mysterious themes [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone know something more about the theme starting at 6:58 in "Brass Buttons"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7QdAW3GF_g

Is it even a theme? Or is it just a random piece of music? It kinda sounds a bit similar to the male choir part at the end of "Out of the Frying-pan"

(This post was edited by Skaan on Jul 15 2015, 4:58pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 15 2015, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 13 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Doug! :wave:

What does the choral music at the end of "Brass Buttons" that recurs in "Out of the Frying Pan" represent?

Variation on Thorin's harmony. Similar devices occur throughout all three scores.

http://www.jwfan.com/...=24673&p=1124290

These bits of music always frustrate me. They're so beautiful and yet weren't used in the films!

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jul 15 2015, 5:40pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 15 2015, 8:23pm

Post #10 of 13 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad that i finally know the answer for this, because i've been wondering about this ever since AUJ came out.

Although i'm afraid i'll have to ask: what do they mean with a variation on Thorin's harmony? Do they mean a variation on Thorin's theme? And any other examples of when it was used throughout all three scores?

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 15 2015, 9:31pm

Post #11 of 13 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not completely sure.

Harmony is generally the supporting music that adds detail to music and interacts the melody with it in interesting ways. You need some understanding of music theory to know exactly how it works.

My understanding is that this piece relates the chords that support Thorin's theme (it plays upon 'Thorin's harmony'). But I'd need 'The Music of the Hobbit' films book to actually study it properly. Too bad the book is not out yet!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2015, 12:10am

Post #12 of 13 (996 views)
Shortcut
This too sounds very Gollum's-themey to my ears [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost as if Gollum's Song is about to start. Or maybe I'm obsessed with Gollum and don't know it Laugh

It does give evoke a sense of sadness and mystery though...

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jul 24 2015, 1:56am

Post #13 of 13 (761 views)
Shortcut
what do you mean by "Map music"? [In reply to] Can't Post

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.