Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
For "Sherlock" fans - favorite episode?
Poll: For "Sherlock" fans - favorite episode?
A Study in Pink
The Blind Banker
The Great Game
A Scandal in Belgravia
The Hounds of Baskerville
The Reichenbach Fall
The Empty Hearse
The Power of Three
His Last Vow
View Results (33 votes)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 12 2015, 11:03pm

Post #1 of 9 (1984 views)
Shortcut
For "Sherlock" fans - favorite episode? Can't Post

I'm re-watching my favorite episode of "Sherlock," episode 5 "Hound of the Baskervilles," and I was wondering which episode was the favorite of other fans? I do really like the first one quite a bit as well (well, all of them, really), but the "Hound" episode is a great adaptation. I read the original story to compare, they substituted a mine field for the bogs in the original - very clever! My daughter likes the "Scandal in Belgravia" episode best, also compared it to the original and again a very good adaptation. But what about the rest of you? Let's talk "Sherlock!"

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2015, 3:41am

Post #2 of 9 (1942 views)
Shortcut
I like Scandal best too [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking Irene Adler and making her a dominatrix... that's just inspired. Cool

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2015, 7:08am

Post #3 of 9 (1934 views)
Shortcut
I voted The Empty Hearse [In reply to] Can't Post

But I loved all three of the last season. I thought the first two seasons were clever and well done, but Sherlock's arrogance came this close ( thumb and index finger almost touching) to turning me off completely. Sherlock, in the few stories I read, wasn't nearly as insufferable as the film and tv versions of him are. I just don't buy the whole idea that brilliant people are obnoxiously rude, or that they should be given a pass if they are.

Anyway, it was mainly Martin's performance in the first few that kept me watching long enough to get involved in the stories and appreciate the way Moffat and Gatiss adapted the stories to our time.

But I grew to love Holmes as well as Watson in season three. EvilHeart The characters were fleshed out and more three dimensional without sacrificing story. At least it seemed that way to me.

I can't wait for the Christmas special! Laugh

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 13 2015, 8:37pm

Post #4 of 9 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Scandal in Belgravia [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially liked the back & forth between Sherlock and Irene Adler, somewhere between a chess match and a tennis match. She wasn't brilliant, but she was still clever enough to be a challenge for him, plus the cool thing was that he couldn't read her at all like he could everyone else. Their tension and flirtation were fun throughout the episode. I wish she'd come back for another episode. (Showing her face in Season 3 didn't count for me.)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2015, 6:12pm

Post #5 of 9 (1811 views)
Shortcut
not sure if my division... [In reply to] Can't Post

to sort of quote a meme quoting Lestrade...

Moftiss have created a wonderful brilliant clever adaptation.

blahblahblha I read the books in high school and love this show.

I liked Hound of the Baskervilles (UMQRU???)

but after waiting for a season and looking at all the online specualtion on How Sherlock Survived It...

Empty Hearse fulfilled fannish expectations (while spoofing fandom) without giving us a clue.

SlySlySlySlySly

Clever girl,.

Oh, wrong film.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 20 2015, 11:02pm

Post #6 of 9 (1797 views)
Shortcut
My sister is a complete Sherlock fan! [In reply to] Can't Post

She loves this show!
My favorite episodes are all of season two, and I liked the Blind Baker. I loved the Chinese storyline to it.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2015, 6:00am

Post #7 of 9 (1753 views)
Shortcut
'Beheadings - lovely little village' [In reply to] Can't Post

from my favorite episode, The Power of Three. Hilarious, follows on from The Empty Hearse well, sets up His Last Vow beautifully, and it's great to see Sherlock almost missing the point - and giving due credit to John's abilities as a doctor. Plus there's some fun editing along the way - wipes going back and forth to look like stripes, choreographed and orchestrated to the characters' movements. Yes, I do get excited by such things...

BTW, there's a lovely preview (or is it a 'preview'...) of the Christmas special on PBS's web site. Little Archie (he of the Beheadings scene) makes an appearance.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 8 2015, 3:08pm

Post #8 of 9 (1655 views)
Shortcut
My favorite... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was "The Sign of Three". I enjoyed all of Season Three's dealing with Sherlock's long disappearance and the changes in John's life that resulted. This was probably my favorite because wedding speech! and the locked door mystery of the soldier.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2015, 3:05am

Post #9 of 9 (1499 views)
Shortcut
"Belgravia", but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm heartened to see a number of votes go to "Baskerville" as well. There was a while when I felt like the only person I knew who liked that episode. Fortunately I've met a few more people who agree on that recently.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.