Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite fellowships (friendships, romances, or special relationships) in LOTR
Poll: Favorite fellowships (friendships, romances, or special relationships) in LOTR
Frodo and Sam
Frodo and Bilbo
Frodo and Gandalf
Sam and Rose Cotton
Sam and Bill the pony
Merry and Pippin
Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard
Merry and Theoden
Merry and Dernhelm (Eowyn)
Pippin and Beregond
Pippin and Gandalf
Gandalf and Bilbo
Gandalf and Gwaihir
Gandalf and Shadowfax
Gandalf and Aragorn
Aragorn and Arwen
Aragorn and Boromir
Legolas and Gimli
Gimli and Galadriel
Eowyn and Faramir
Tom Bombadil and Goldberry
Other
View Results (159 votes)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2015, 7:59am

Post #1 of 8 (2139 views)
Shortcut
Favorite fellowships (friendships, romances, or special relationships) in LOTR Can't Post

There are many key relationships that are missing from this list; I apologize. The more I thought about it, the more I realized just how important friendship is in The Lord of the Rings. I know Tolkien intended friendship to be one of the major themes, but I hadn't really thought before about all the varying types of friendships there are in LOTR. However, I wanted to keep the list to a reasonable length. So, feel free to vote "other" and tell us who you think make a memorable team.

BTW, I almost didn't include Frodo and Sam; they seem to be a given, but I figured I'd incur much wrath if I left them off. LaughAngelic

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 11 2015, 8:01am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 11 2015, 2:20pm

Post #2 of 8 (2089 views)
Shortcut
Most friendships listed are nearly a given [In reply to] Can't Post

With the decided difference of Gimli and Legolas as they put aside any elf/dwarf animosity and their relationship became even more than the best of friends, as thier comradeship lasted more than lifelong. Heart

To watch their relationship develop is a pure delight! Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2015, 7:27am

Post #3 of 8 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the friendship between Gimli and Legolas is unique among the LOTR relationships [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for them, but I couldn't limit it to them alone. LaughBlush I also voted for:

Frodo and Sam
Frodo and Gandalf
Sam and Bill the pony
Merry and Dernhelm
Pippin and Gandalf
Aragorn and Gandalf
Aragorn and Arwen
Gimli and Galadriel

I know it seems almost meaningless when you vote for so many, but each relationship is powerful and special in its way. These just resonated with me in particular. The Aragorn/Arwen story didn't at first since there is so little in the story itself, but when I read it again after reading the appendices I realized how much she inspired him and how much he respected her for her wisdom. It wasn't just about her being beautiful the way it seemed when I first read it.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 13 2015, 7:34am)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 13 2015, 9:49am

Post #4 of 8 (1983 views)
Shortcut
<3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Shadowfax Heart

But of course, Merry and Pippin too. I quite liked Faramir and Eowyn too, but it's like twenty seconds of them incl. the EEs? Laugh In the movies anyway yeah.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2015, 11:40pm

Post #5 of 8 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Faramir and Eowyn [In reply to] Can't Post

The story of their romance isn't all that detailed in the book, but it's really lovely. Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2015, 6:32pm

Post #6 of 8 (1850 views)
Shortcut
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllll [In reply to] Can't Post

that wasn't hard or anything....

It was always Legolas and Gimli, just because Legolas is my Spirit Animal, since 1978, and I know so many "Gimli's". I always related to the Elves (or at least to Legolas' nature boy talk to trees and ride hroses without saddle or rein thing), but am surrounded by dour, doughty Dwarvish PA Dutch types here in Pennsylvania. The usefulness of diversity in human types, of diversity in approach to life and of skills etc is beautifully illustrated by the Legolas/Gimli friendship.

Also: Sam and Bill the Pony... and Legolas and Arod.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 29 2015, 5:57pm

Post #7 of 8 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Tempting [In reply to] Can't Post

I was tempted to click all of them! I restrained myself and only chose about one-third of them.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 4 2015, 12:02am

Post #8 of 8 (1720 views)
Shortcut
I love all of them! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I find the romance of Arwen and Aragorn extremely beautiful.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.