Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Here is an Exercise you ALL might want to DO?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 1:17am

Post #1 of 19 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Here is an Exercise you ALL might want to DO? Can't Post

called "How to Understand PJ"

it simple, watch again with
ALL of the Commentaries for each Film.

Since Bom has watched each @ different times,
" An Account beyond Measure"

it's really fun to sit with PJ & PB in the room with you..
YOU can't help & love their thinking..& humor..

Bom is doing his own Hobbit Marathon Now that way..

YOUR famly might want to watch it with you..
since you can always Pause & discuss any of it
in a Round Table Forum
with your kids?
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 10 2015, 1:18am)

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jul 10 2015, 6:54am

Post #2 of 19 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Eh [In reply to] Can't Post

"How to understand PJ"?
For what?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 10 2015, 7:11am

Post #3 of 19 (1343 views)
Shortcut
for his way of directing The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 9:18am

Post #4 of 19 (1301 views)
Shortcut
NoelG is right, people might want to [In reply to] Can't Post

STOP second-guessing PJ & PB & give it a try, to get to know them?

There is an Expression that applies here:
"Just because you don't understand something
Doesn't mean you need to reject it..?"

It's been Boms experience often here that people reject parts
of the these films without taking the time to try to understand
the thinking that went into it?

It's as if people decide, they
KNOW what these movies
SHOULD be,..YET?

Creative adaptions aren't necessarily the Embellishments
ALL people can agree on..so they take the easiest way out?

Reject it ...

Now that people have Lived with his version of the LOTR
for years..it's settled into the fabric of Mass culture, BUT
we are still getting "used to" the the NEW & Current Trilogy.

Observations from their point-of-view.. could be helpful.
bom is NOT implying anything more..

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2015, 12:03pm

Post #5 of 19 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Nice reminder [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy watching the appendices but I tend to forget about the commentaries and I think the only one I've watched with commentary is AUJ, once, when it first came out on disk. Thanks Bomby, now I have something new to pass the time until BOTFA EE comes out! Laugh Wink

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Merovech
Bree

Jul 10 2015, 6:01pm

Post #6 of 19 (1143 views)
Shortcut
I see it differently. [In reply to] Can't Post

This applies: Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean you don't understand it.

I think it's a bit of a cop-out to assume criticism on these films stems from a lack of understanding the intricate subtleties (Tongue) of just what the filmmaker was going for (according to you).

There's plenty of things in these films that I dislike (I was disappointed with the trilogy in general), but I think I know why they were done. Most of the time, though, my assumed reasons behind the bad decision just make it worse. I don't think that thinking about it more will fix that, unless I get into the whole mental gymnastics thing, where I might attempt to justify the things I disliked by divining some great reason for a bad decision so I can tell myself it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

Of course, unless stated in a direct quote from the production team, all reasons and 'thinking that went into it' is conjecture. Just because one side's conjecture projects a positive approach doesn't make it any more truthful.

(This post was edited by Merovech on Jul 10 2015, 6:13pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 6:30pm

Post #7 of 19 (1128 views)
Shortcut
OKAY...BUT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if there is ANY other director & writer
that has truly taken the time to help teach
Film-making as much as PJ has...
ANYWHERE?

Bom's College degree is Radio, TV, Film
{Film emphasis..1972} & shot film for TV News
before it went to video tape?

Industry types have learned so much from his
Behind-The-Scenes explanations since 2001..?

AND his
World-Class crew are Still teaching co-workers
on the Films, they are involved with
all over the World..

Years ago, ol' Bom used to get "American Cinematographer"
magazine, NOW on-line..
There were constant articles like
"What lessons did we learn from The Two Towers?",
or "WHAT is New from New ZEALAND"

Bom is no way is "Lecturing" anyone..just trying to
HELP all our friends to enjoy these films in a way
that might have been forgotten?
About...{See post below from Elarie?}
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 10 2015, 6:33pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jul 10 2015, 7:15pm

Post #8 of 19 (1103 views)
Shortcut
I love commentaries... [In reply to] Can't Post

they are often one of the first things I watch when I get a new Blu-ray/DVD. I have watched the commentaries for AUJ and DOS multiple times, as well as the behind the scenes footage. Together or alone both are very informative and a great insight into the master mind of PJ.

However, while I understand and accept the reasoning behind PJ's decisions that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with every last decision that was made. That said for myself at least - and I think possibly a few others - it isn't that we don't understand PJ it's that in regards to certain aspects we disagree with him.

Does that make us negative people? On the contrary...it just means our opinions are different from PJ's and all those who agree with him.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 10:13pm

Post #9 of 19 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Funny, I really don't like commentaries.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always listen to them once to hear what they say but I find it really frustrating - like having someone talking in the row in front when you want to concetrate on the film. I enjoy the documentaries and watch them through many times, but when I'm watching the film I don't want the distraction.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 11:01pm

Post #10 of 19 (1038 views)
Shortcut
I can't bear commentaries, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I never listen to them now. After several attempts I have realised they are just not for me. I find them completely distracting and very annoying. Like you, I liken the experience to sitting in a film with someone talking all the way through it.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jul 10 2015, 11:09pm

Post #11 of 19 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Uh... [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't listen to commentaries to watch the film. You listen commentaries to get insight into the film. Wink It's like another level of behind the scene footage. If you want to know how the actors learned their stunts then you watch the behind the scenes footage. If you want to see them actually perform those stunts then you watch the movie. Same with commentaries, if you want to know more about the directors thought process in making the film you listen to the commentaries. If you want to see the finished product of those thoughts then you watch the film without commentaries.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 11 2015, 8:19am

Post #12 of 19 (991 views)
Shortcut
But you are watching the film while the commentary track is playing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I can't watch the film without getting absorbed in the film. Then it's really frustrating to have the soundtrack faded out just to be told that this scene was an last minute addition and originally they were intending ..... and so on. Call it a testament to the quality of the film if you will (and if you won't, I will!) When it's playing in front of my eyes I want to lose myself in the story. If PJ were in the room in person I would ask him (very politely) to save his insights for the documentaries. Then I'd give him a nice big cup of tea to keep him quiet so's I could carry on watching the film! Cool

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 11 2015, 10:47am

Post #13 of 19 (976 views)
Shortcut
dmouse, dear..what the two, DO is fade themselves out? [In reply to] Can't Post

They allow the Dialogue to play many times

Then, take the point of a scene & embellish
it with their thoughts on technique, lighting,
the actors technique, the mechanics,...etc.

The one thing that does come across is
Their LOVE for the Books, & Do Apologize
directly to US? Fans...when they deviate from the TEXT!

Phillpa makes a statement.."Shorthand Story-Telling"
condescending much from the Book into
short, multiple meanings..

NEVER heard that one before?

GREAT..

Also, you all need to remember ol' bom
feels extremely Privileged to have lived
long enough
to witness,.. bom's Favorite Books
turned into bom's, Favorite Movies...

In the Case of BOT5A..49 years?

That was... aLooong Time...
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jul 11 2015, 12:44pm

Post #14 of 19 (956 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

not really. At least not for me. When I sit down to watch a film my intent is to...watch the film. Therefore my focus is on the action and dialogue on the screen, and in this senses the commentaries would be a distraction. However, when I'm listening the commentaries my focus is on what the filmmakers have to say about the various scenes, characters, etc...not the actual action or dialogue of the film.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you sit down to listen the commentaries it's a good idea to be the mindset of "I want to hear what the filmmakers have to say" otherwise the commentaries will be a distraction.

I guess what I'm trying to say - at least for myself - is you have to be in the right mind set to listen to commentaries.

Code

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2015, 1:21pm

Post #15 of 19 (948 views)
Shortcut
I get what you're saying [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched DOS with commentary yesterday (thanks to Bomby's reminder thread Smile ) and I had to almost tell myself out loud, "Quit thinking about the movie and listen to the commentary!" And I had to hit the rewind button several times because I started following the movie even without sound and thinking about it and then missed what they were saying. But when I was really listening, it was fun and interesting and a nice addition to the appendices, so I'm glad I did it. I just wish there were more people involved in the commentary. If I'm remembering correctly, the LOTR had some commentary by the four hobbits that I really enjoyed and it would be great to hear some of the Hobbit actors' thoughts as the movie was playing on screen.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 11 2015, 6:06pm

Post #16 of 19 (922 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I feel privileged to have been around long enough to see these films... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just as you do. And I share your admiration for the work Peter Jackson and his team do, the imagination and care and craft that goes into the films. And I do want to hear what they say so I listen once....

But after that I'd rather enjoy the films every chance I have. If they want me to spend more time on the commentary they shouldn't make the films so compelling, should they! Tongue

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jul 12 2015, 7:35am

Post #17 of 19 (875 views)
Shortcut
You are so on the money. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know D.M. when I first read your post i was astonished that someone who defends the films hasn't a detailed understanding that the commentaries provide about the film makers preferences, perceptions and decisions which are unique to these commentaries.

However I then considered your remark more carefully and thought "hold on I love film!" I watch 3 or 4 a week, I have never listened to the commentaries or watched the extras on any of them it wouldn't cross my mind, it is what is on the screen that matters and how I receive it. Even with the LOTR films I only started watching the documentaries years later, I have never listened to the commentaries, it would not occur to me. If I want my annual pilgrimage its the films I watch.

So thank you for your thoughts, it helps put in perspective why I am absolutely fascinated to see what P & P have to say about BOFA and what they left out at a theatrical level as not being crucial to the general film going audience.

I think your post, like many of the best bits of communication, has unintended consequences and your witness that you sit down and get totally immersed in these films without hesitation is a great testament to your love for the films.

My views are polar opposite and your placement reminds me of something else, I am finding it hard to stop discussing the films. I need to exercise much more self discipline, and focus on all the other rich enjoyable experiences which work for me, in the same way these films do for you.

If I turn up again before I have taken in and digested the final extended edition call me out as "fail" and in the mean time I wish you many happy times re watching the films unencumbered ! SmileSmile

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 12 2015, 7:51am

Post #18 of 19 (875 views)
Shortcut
Thanks.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And may you find as much pleasure in the films you can watch without commentaries as I do in these!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 14 2015, 12:18am

Post #19 of 19 (791 views)
Shortcut
dmouse...Here is something to consider..? [In reply to] Can't Post

When ol' bom got the see the Third Film
last December, it was after the extended cuts
of the first TWO...a Marathon that had started @ 11 AM.

Well, PJ came on screen, to congratulate us in the Audience
as some of first people in the USA to see it...since this
was , I think 3 or 4 days BEFORE the General Release.

Bom was
BEAMING
BIGTIME...not just
Because of that fact...it was

Finally! after such a Long wait.... it was like
PJ was looking at Bomby right-in-the-eye, talking to this
tired old guy...Bom was finally getting his wish that
BECAME a goal that starting 48 years ago..

Bom got to feel SPECIAL!!!. & was in tears
since my personal Marathon-Long WAIT, was over.

Goldberry didn't last long enough to see it,
but it was OUR special Fantasy we had talked about
many times in the Hospital before his demise.

I got to see it for the both of us..

When PJ & Phil are in the room alone with me, @ home,
bom doesn't feel alone anymore, @ LEAST for the couple of
hours listening to these nice people, who do REALLY CARE
for the "BOOKLifers" like bomby..& you.

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.