The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
GoPros used in the DOS barrel sequence

Goldeneye
Lorien

Jul 9 2015, 7:56pm

Post #1 of 11 (893 views)
Shortcut
GoPros used in the DOS barrel sequence Can't Post

I saw a post on the Hobbit subreddit today, which mentioned that a number of fans disputed the fact that GoPros were used in some parts of the barrel sequence in DOS. Of course this was confirmed by Weta some time later, but I just wanted to know what those of you here thought. To me it was a bit distracting and obvious, but the shots didn't really last long enough to be a huge annoyance. There really is no comparison between a $80,000 RED Epic and a $300 GoPro...

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 9 2015, 8:12pm

Post #2 of 11 (840 views)
Shortcut
That was discussed here some time ago.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and had a (predictably!) mixed reception. I don't pretend to know about the technicalities of film cameras but my feeling is that if - as I understand it - the shots you're talking about are the ones where the audience is almost in the river with the barrels that really tells you my answer. Maybe the resolution isn't as good but those shots do have an immediacy that more polished ones might not. They make the action feel very real.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2015, 8:48pm

Post #3 of 11 (818 views)
Shortcut
Not that bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea behind the shots, but there's something about the quality that's a little jarring. I'd rather have them there though than not have them at all. They're kinda fun.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 9 2015, 8:53pm

Post #4 of 11 (807 views)
Shortcut
I am wildly against the use of them [In reply to] Can't Post

The GoPro shots look horrible, are completely jarring and totally compromise the cinematic integrity of the world PJ has created in these six films. Imagine if he had taken a shot of one of your home movies from when you were a kid and spliced it into the film somewhere...that is essentially what we got.
I've sort of learned to get over it because there is nothing I can do now, but if there was one thing I could change about the trilogy, it would be the use of these cameras.
They should have either thrown away an Epic, or had an underwater rig that they used in the studio river, or something...anything but what they did. Terrible choice PJ, terrible choice.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 9 2015, 9:29pm

Post #5 of 11 (781 views)
Shortcut
Those were definitely shots that would've been better done with CG... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for once :p

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jul 10 2015, 12:28am

Post #6 of 11 (730 views)
Shortcut
not for me [In reply to] Can't Post

they certainly looked completely different to the surrounding shots, its very obvious now you look at it,

i assume those shots were not true 3d shots? so had to be done in post production, makes me think how many other shots were done like this , i always assumed every shot was meant to be filmed in true 3d, but now im thinking otherwise.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2015, 12:45am

Post #7 of 11 (730 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed those shots [In reply to] Can't Post

Putting the audience in the water really worked for me, and I didn't notice any quality problems, maybe because they just went by so fast.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 10 2015, 10:11am

Post #8 of 11 (625 views)
Shortcut
That would make no difference to the 2D image though... [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's still really obvious in 2D that the quality dips...

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 11:17am

Post #9 of 11 (600 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but I think the point of that - well, it seems so to me anyway - [In reply to] Can't Post

..is that if you're in fast flowing water you can't see as clearly. I think that's what makes those moments feel much more real.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 11:17am

Post #10 of 11 (602 views)
Shortcut
OKAY! PJ has stated that he is Always [In reply to] Can't Post

looking for ways to make Something, Anything more dangerous
so, putting US in the Water? was his way to include us in the
sequence.

Secondly, it was also been said that rendering 3 D water digitally
was a BRAND New thing that... they spent many hours
trying to get right.

So, eventually they decided a few Close-ups under water or
@ water level with a Go-Pro camera was the best choice.

Remember, they shot @ a Ration of about 800 to one?
Outdoors on the Pelorius River, Inside on their Water Carousel
& in their computers, too..

Sounds unrealistic? but that is what they did.

NOW, after going through that..They are Experts @ rendering
Turbulent Rushing water, but BEFORE?
No one had ever done that... on this scale.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 10 2015, 11:18am)

Fimbulfambi
The Shire

Jul 11 2015, 2:53pm

Post #11 of 11 (477 views)
Shortcut
GoPro... [In reply to] Can't Post

...really doesn't fit in the film. I think that it was a bad editing decision to bring them in. The motive they're showing though are thrilling and cool to watch and "experience", it is simply the quality of the image which is annoying. The sequence would have worked well without those shots.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.