The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Time for my Armitage appreciation

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2015, 5:58pm

Post #1 of 15 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Time for my Armitage appreciation Can't Post

I've finally watched all the three movies right after each other. I haven't changed my mind on the newly added characters and ridiculously cheesy plot lines which Tolkien would have never written BUT this thread is not about that.
I felt that after all those years and after all the doubts and not so glorious moments I had watching the Hobbit movies, I owe a little something to an actor who made it for me: Richard Armitage. Here are my two cents to contribute to his vast army of fans, I 'm sure. I have rarely seen such a powerful performance in this kind of movies and I'm a fantasy fan. I dare say he blew me away. His presence is just breath taking and I've been on stage myself and it's not like I don't know acting or performing. I still think there is no need to compare him with any of the actors in the LOTR as I remain positive the cast for the LOTR was mostly spot on and Viggo remains in my mind a fantastic Aragorn but I wanted to just leave here a big heartfelt Thank You to Richard Armitage for bringing to the surface this hurt, both strong and weak, sensitive and stubborn, secretive and enigmatic, conflicted and torn Thorin. I have seen some of Armitage's other work and he never did it for me (not saying he is not a good actor, he is brilliant, just not my kind of actor) but this role he owned and ruled. There are in some actors' careers (if they are lucky) roles which just fit like a glove and bring to the front the actors' best qualities and abilities and of all I've seen of him, that was it. Lucky Richard Armitage to be given the chance and lucky me to be able to see it.
Once again, thank you to him and to PJ, of course, and to the casting director!

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 9 2015, 7:09pm

Post #2 of 15 (1048 views)
Shortcut
I have said it many times [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a man of incredible talent! He is seriously NOT just a handsome face, but a tremendous talent as well. I've checked out a fair amount of his work, the most recent being the BBC production of "North and South," and I don't think the guy can ever go wrong. He thinks he can't do comedy, well check out his "Vicar of Dibley" performance & say that again! He totally nails Harry Kennedy, and I bought that one. Also bought "Strike Back," "Into the Storm" (yeah, not much to work with but he still does fine), and of course all three "Hobbit" movies. I SERIOUSLY think he should have gotten an Oscar nom for Thorin, so glad he at least got the Saturn award, it's well deserved. I'm even suffering through "Hannibal" just to see him play a serial killer, and I greatly look forward to the three movies that should be out soon, plus "Clearance" that films later this year.

But, I must confess, he IS incredibly handsome...

Nobody can do "scruff" like Richard!

They say clothes make the man, but I think Richard could make any suit look good!Wink

He looks good with a beard,

Or without!EvilHeart

Best. Selfie. Ever!!! *Thud!*

But of course, I saved the best for last:

Thorin, the role that started it all (for me, anyway). 'Nuff said!EvilHeartHeartHeart

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 9 2015, 7:44pm

Post #3 of 15 (1029 views)
Shortcut
I miss some beard, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

....who matters? (I matter, actually CrazyMad)

Armitage's acting in BOTFA was really amazing! But I do not think he deserves an oscar. Freeman is more about it!

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 9 2015, 8:14pm

Post #4 of 15 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Nice post, simplyaven [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I agree, his performance is remarkable.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 9 2015, 9:05pm

Post #5 of 15 (994 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Happily for me - and I mean in the sense of "discovering" an actor through a magnificent performance in a singular role and then going and seeing other impressive work - Richard Armitage became more than a name I vaguely connected with Robin Hood in the best possible way - for me - via AUJ....watching a film and having this slowly flowing awareness dance through your mind - OMG - who IS this guy? It WAS extraordinary - and wonderful to experience.SmileHeart

So I'll disagree with another poster that RA doesn't deserve an Oscar and any other award that could be presented to him - because I believe what Richard did was unique - I certainly didn't expect the multi-dimensional, charismatic, passionate, tortured, intelligent, fiery and sensitive character that always has so much in his eyes.

Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass.
http://www.denofgeek.com/...bit-there-back-again

Of course, IMO, Martin Freeman deserves to be showered with awards as well. It's just been a remarkable experience, when I think about it - as MF describes it in the WETA books, Bilbo and Thorin yo-yoing to and from each other. Both actors constantly and consistently wholly THERE - even the way they stand and move, and the use of their hands (as in, when Thorin looks out of window at Bard's and says "much would have been different", his hand clenches in memory; and just the way Bilbo uses his hands - sometimes they flutter like little birds....). Thorin and Bilbo's moments IMO are exquisite (and I don't mean 'shippingUnsureFrown - I mean two actors that are wholly believable as their respective characters, and are working beautifully together).

PJ's choice for Thorin ultimately IMO was a gift to the world and guess we will never know all the "gory details" of that choosing process, who got cut, and why (as evidently many read for the part of Thorin) but I've often thought that PJ's choice paid off a thousand-fold, for these films. I think it's the first thing I would thank Sir Peter for, if I ever met him. And of course, I'd thank Richard over and over.Heart

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2015, 11:55pm

Post #6 of 15 (966 views)
Shortcut
What a very nice tribute to a wonderful actor [In reply to] Can't Post

I think RA is a superb actor and along with all the other attributes he brings to Thorin, I'm always impressed by the sense of authority that Thorin projects. When I try to think of other movies and characters to compare it to, the first ones that always leaps to my mind are George C. Scott in "Patton" and Richard Burton in "Anne of the Thousand Days". Not that the characters were the same, but just the way the actors seemed to project charisma and totally inhabit that sense of being in command, with no doubts about who's in charge.

As far as the acting goes in The Hobbit, it seems like the stars were in alignment for everyone, with a superb ensemble and a director who really cares about getting the best performance out of each actor. I just never get tired of watching the people in The Hobbit.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jul 10 2015, 12:34am

Post #7 of 15 (962 views)
Shortcut
meh [In reply to] Can't Post

i disagree, the character was wooden and hammy, both in the acting and writing, i still dont like the costume hair and makeup, and after three films i still dont think of him when i think of stand out or memorable characters, for me its just another thing in this trilogy that made these films not so great.

i do think he won over a certain audience though

but thats just my opinion.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 10 2015, 4:49am

Post #8 of 15 (943 views)
Shortcut
Cheers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually saw North & South 3 months before the Hobbit came out, and after seeing Richard's excellent performance in that, I was even more interested in TH than I had been before. I checked out a lot of his other work and was more and more impressed by the level of hard work and dedication he puts into his roles (even the ~10 mins of screentime in Captain America) that resulted in a lot of compelling performances. That was cemented in TH movies - an incredible, nuanced performance that made me care about Thorin for the first time.

a big heartfelt Thank You to Richard Armitage for bringing to the surface this hurt, both strong and weak, sensitive and stubborn, secretive and enigmatic, conflicted and torn Thorin.

I second (third? fourth?) your thank you to Richard and the brilliant folks who cast him.

Lucky us indeed. Smile

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2015, 1:25pm

Post #9 of 15 (883 views)
Shortcut
You see, i don't find him handsome, [In reply to] Can't Post

never have. And I've seen quite a bit of his work and it never worked wonders on me (again, he is a marvelous performer, just not my kind of acting). The whole point to me, watching him as Thorin, was that one performance he did grabbed me and made me completely forget that I actually don't find him handsome and he was not my type of actor. Which comes to prove, once again, that he just owned that role. The tragedy and vulnerability he brought to his Thorin is mind blowingly beautiful and fantastically performed. I'm terribly sorry Thorin is gone for good.

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2015, 1:34pm

Post #10 of 15 (881 views)
Shortcut
I found myself captured [In reply to] Can't Post

by a deeply suppressed and carefully hidden tenderness in his Thorin, actually. I couldn't pinpoint for quite a while what was working so much for me in his performance and it took years to finally realize that it was the softer side he brought to the role and executed masterfully that captured my attention and struck a chord. I do appreciate his magnificence in a kingly mode and yes, he does have a very strong authoritative presence and the camera loves him which helps command the scenes, but it wasn't until I saw this tenderness and quick glimpses of vulnerable and more open personality that I realized Armitage was playing a much more complex tune than I had ever expected. I also see how he instilled a Shakesperean troubled and conflicted character in his Thorin and IMO, this helped a lot with turning the character into a being of a very different nature from the book one. Naturally, Tolkien wrote a children's book and wasn't looking for character perfection and complicated arcs (though the morale is there) but I also expected a fun-filled fantasy blockbuster while I got a personal tragedy explored to depths that hurt even me as a viewer. That was an unexpected journey for me, indeed, but it wasn't Bilbo's journey.

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2015, 1:37pm

Post #11 of 15 (876 views)
Shortcut
Care for is an understatement [In reply to] Can't Post

His Thorin deeply disturbed me and it's been a while since anyone's acting has disturbed me. It means a lot where I stand.

I believe

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 10 2015, 3:25pm

Post #12 of 15 (855 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Armitage made the films for me, above anyone (or anything) else. I love the passion he put into his performance, and the way he steeped himself in the role.

I've only seen him in a few other things: North and South (marvellous); Strike Back (as the role demanded, and easily the biggest draw for me in that series, though he only appeared in Series 1, the UK series); and Spooks (as the role demanded, though I didn't think much of the series).

I hope to see him in more powerful roles like those in The Hobbit and North and South.

P.S. Don't like beards on men (as opposed to Dwarves)!WinkTongue

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 10 2015, 4:57pm

Post #13 of 15 (830 views)
Shortcut
Happy to have discovered Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks to his casting in the Hobbit.
Someone on this board advised me to see North and South and I did: it was a brilliant performance in a brilliant production.
Apart from the previous trilogy actors, I find that Martin and Richard give heart and soul to the protagonists of the Hobbit- it's their story after all.
And as much as I love the Lotr cast (and I truly do), the Hobbit cast will always have a special place in my heart.HeartHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 10 2015, 7:51pm

Post #14 of 15 (783 views)
Shortcut
Well said, IMO!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely postsSmile

mulubinba
Rivendell

Jul 11 2015, 7:52am

Post #15 of 15 (724 views)
Shortcut
Yes .. [In reply to] Can't Post

... a great performance by RA. He has always played conflicted displaced characters so well. Moreover he immerses himself in his characters and their backgrounds. I too am grateful to PJ and the casting directors for giving him this chance to show his skills. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.