The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Loki reminds me of Sauron, Anyone else?

boldog
Rohan

Jul 9 2015, 8:12am

Post #1 of 8 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Loki reminds me of Sauron, Anyone else? Can't Post

Loki is one of my favourite movie characters of all time. I just love the depth of his character and how sly he is.
But one thing I love about his portrayal is how he reminds me so much of Sauron. Im talking about 1st and 2nd age Sauron, who was able to change shapes and act fair.
When I read the the Silmarillion, particularly Beren and Felegund's imprisonment in Minas Tirith, I instantly imagine Sauron as Loki. The sly and deceiving nature are both definite comparisons.
Even the way Tom Hiddleston looks as Loki, I take to be not much different to Saurons fair appearence.

Thoughts?

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 9 2015, 4:23pm

Post #2 of 8 (1865 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think like you!

And Tom Hiddletom would make a incredible Sauron!

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Wasserwaldnymphe
The Shire

Jul 9 2015, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 8 (1861 views)
Shortcut
on the other hand [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron is very charismatic and seduces a lot of people, while Loki seems to be a loner. In addition to that Sauron loves order (HoME X), while Lokis seems to be attached to chaos.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Jul 9 2015, 5:39pm

Post #4 of 8 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never watched the movie about the heroes of Asgard, but I have read the book and it is epic. Loki is very good in the book. Perhaps you could give me the title of the movie you watched? Crazy

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 9 2015, 7:34pm

Post #5 of 8 (1849 views)
Shortcut
Marvel's Thor [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that boldog name-checked Tom Hiddleston, he must be referring to Marvel's Thor and Avengers movies.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 9 2015, 10:13pm

Post #6 of 8 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Mmm, Loki, my favourite movie baddie... [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 20 2015, 4:54pm

Post #7 of 8 (1602 views)
Shortcut
I love Loki! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's one of my favorite villains!Smile

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 23 2015, 7:16pm

Post #8 of 8 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien drew inspiration from Norse mythology, and I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien took a lot of inspiration from Norse mythology, so it's probably more than coincidence that Loki and Sauron are similar.

And I think he was also greatly inspired by Marvel comic books, as we all know Tolkien was a huge comic book nerd, his entire concept of a fellowship comes from his love of The Avengers and he also once said that he wanted Mark Ruffalo to play Beorn, because The Hulk was Tolkien's favourite hero.

I think you'll find a lot of parallels between the two universes because of this.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.