The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Fellowship of the Ring - a NUMBERS QUIZ – Pt. 2

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 5 2015, 1:19pm

Post #1 of 19 (1839 views)
Shortcut
The Fellowship of the Ring - a NUMBERS QUIZ – Pt. 2 Can't Post

The answers to all the following questions can be found in the text or prologue of The Fellowship of the Ring.
How’s your number retention
Open or closed book – your choice.

(I was reminded that one should quickly switch to “THREADED VIEWING” if you want to give a try and don’t wish to see other’s answers – Thanks Zarabia!)

Good luck! Have fun! Smile

16. How old was Bilbo when he adopted Frodo?
17. Give 3 names or epithets Bill Ferney called Aragorn.
18. Name the 3 types of pipe-weed grown in the South Farthing.
19. How many Shirriffs were there in the Shire (normally)?
20. Within 10 feet, how long was the Bridge of Khazad-dûm?

21. With how many ponies did the Hobbits enter the Old Forest?
22. Name 6 tributaries of the Anduin.
23. How many signatures are required to witness a Hobbit’s will?
24. How many official meals were served at the Long-expected Party?
25. How many days did Frodo spend at Crickhollow?

26. How many Black Riders attacked the house at Crickhollow?
27. Name 6 types of fireworks set off by Gandalf at the Long-expected Party.
28. Where did the Hobbit’s 4 ponies go after they (the ponies) escaped from Bree?
29. From the prologue, what was the distance from the Brandywine Bridge to the Far Downs?
30. The 2nd volume of LOTR is The Two Towers. To which 2 towers does this refer?

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 1:27am

Post #2 of 19 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Ok, *Jump Start* #16, 99 years old // [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 8 2015, 4:44am

Post #3 of 19 (1771 views)
Shortcut
I'll try [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

16. How old was Bilbo when he adopted Frodo? 99 Okay, so you gave it to us. Might be my only right one!
17. Give 3 names or epithets Bill Ferney called Aragorn. Strider, Longshanks, Ranger?
18. Name the 3 types of pipe-weed grown in the South Farthing. Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby, MarlboroAngelic
19. How many Shirriffs were there in the Shire (normally)? One
20. Within 10 feet, how long was the Bridge of Khazad-dûm?Not long enough....30 feet?

21. With how many ponies did the Hobbits enter the Old Forest? Four
22. Name 6 tributaries of the Anduin. You're kidding. Columbia, Nile, Colorado, Amazon, Old Forest River, Denial
23. How many signatures are required to witness a Hobbit’s will? 13
24. How many official meals were served at the Long-expected Party? Seven
25. How many days did Frodo spend at Crickhollow?Two

26. How many Black Riders attacked the house at Crickhollow? 5
27. Name 6 types of fireworks set off by Gandalf at the Long-expected Party. Rockets, sparklers, whiz bangs, poppers, roman, er, Lothlorien Candles, dragon
28. Where did the Hobbit’s 4 ponies go after they (the ponies) escaped from Bree? On a long vacation. They needed it. Maybe back to Hobbiton?
29. From the prologue, what was the distance from the Brandywine Bridge to the Far Downs? 20 miles
30. The 2nd volume of LOTR is The Two Towers. To which 2 towers does this refer?Barad Dur and Isengard. Or Cirith Ungol. Or Trump Tower.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 5:21am

Post #4 of 19 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Heh heh, thanks for the chuckles [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

16. How old was Bilbo when he adopted Frodo? 99 Okay, so you gave it to us. Might be my only right one!
17. Give 3 names or epithets Bill Ferney called Aragorn. Strider, Longshanks, Ranger? Scruffy?
18. Name the 3 types of pipe-weed grown in the South Farthing. Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby, MarlboroAngelic
19. How many Shirriffs were there in the Shire (normally)? One
20. Within 10 feet, how long was the Bridge of Khazad-dûm?Not long enough....30 feet?

21. With how many ponies did the Hobbits enter the Old Forest? Four
22. Name 6 tributaries of the Anduin. You're kidding. Columbia, Nile, Colorado, Amazon, Old Forest River, Denial *Yes, this is definitely one! The other ones seem a wee bit questionable tho...
23. How many signatures are required to witness a Hobbit’s will? 13
24. How many official meals were served at the Long-expected Party? Seven
25. How many days did Frodo spend at Crickhollow?Two

26. How many Black Riders attacked the house at Crickhollow? 5
27. Name 6 types of fireworks set off by Gandalf at the Long-expected Party. Rockets, sparklers, whiz bangs, poppers, roman, er, Lothlorien Candles, dragon
28. Where did the Hobbit’s 4 ponies go after they (the ponies) escaped from Bree? On a long vacation. They needed it. Maybe back to Hobbiton?
29. From the prologue, what was the distance from the Brandywine Bridge to the Far Downs? 20 miles
30. The 2nd volume of LOTR is The Two Towers. To which 2 towers does this refer?Barad Dur and Isengard. Or Cirith Ungol. Or Trump Tower.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 2:11pm

Post #5 of 19 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Yep! Thanks for the chuckles Eruwestial [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ll give all the correct answers in a couple days.
But it looks like the RUSH is over!? Wink

17. Give 3 names or epithets Bill Ferney called Aragorn. Strider, Longshanks, Ranger? 2 for 3 ain’t bad
18. Name the 3 types of pipe-weed grown in the South Farthing. Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby, Marlboro 2 for 3 ain’t bad
19. How many Shirriffs were there in the Shire (normally)? One One is correct! Duh! Guess I should have asked “How many TOTAL”?
20. Within 10 feet, how long was the Bridge of Khazad-dûm?Not long enough....30 feet? DOOM! Doom! Doom!

21. With how many ponies did the Hobbits enter the Old Forest? Four What? A serious effort? Close my friend… Smile
22. Name 6 tributaries of the Anduin. You're kidding. Columbia, Nile, Colorado, Amazon, Old Forest River, Denial No, I’m not kidding, and these are all wrong except for the “Old Forest River” which is wrong! Yet it’s true that Denial is thought by many to be an unrecorded unmapped tributary, but I denial it… Cool
23. How many signatures are required to witness a Hobbit’s will? 13 An Unexpected reply
24. How many official meals w ere served at the Long-expected Party? Seven Whew! Lotta chow (even for a Hobbit) Tongue
25. How many days did Frodo spend at Crickhollow?Two Surely you know better! “No I don’t and don’t call me Shirley!” Smile

26. How many Black Riders attacked the house at Crickhollow? 5 Hmm, why would they attack a house? Bad house, bad house!
27. Name 6 types of fireworks set off by Gandalf at the Long-expected Party. Rockets, sparklers, whiz bangs, poppers, roman, er, Lothlorien Candles, dragon Ok, I’ll give you “sparklers” and “Dragon”, and chuckles for “whiz bangs” Sly
28. Where did the Hobbit’s 4 ponies go after they (the ponies) escaped from Bree? On a long vacation. They needed it. Maybe back to Hobbiton? Vacation? Hmm, I think they called it “holiday”?
29. From the prologue, what was the distance from the Brandywine Bridge to the Far Downs? 20 miles Yyouch! Small Shire for Small People…
30. The 2nd volume of LOTR is The Two Towers. To which 2 towers does this refer?Barad Dur and Isengard. Or Cirith Ungol. Or Trump Tower. One good (incorrect) try, and one good (incorrect) chuckle. (And I thank you!)

Well, hrum hoom, 1 out of 15 puts you in First Place Eruwestial! We may have a winner folks! Shocked

-JRR Tolkien

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 8 2015, 8:37pm

Post #6 of 19 (1729 views)
Shortcut
The old college try... [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming Frodo was a baby...111-33=78.

no clue

Old Toby, Longbottom, & something else.

no clue..4..one per farthing? total guess.

240 ft. ???

three. ???

wow...not even going to try.

two?

four

zero

three

fun, but I do not know.

28. Where did the Hobbit’s 4 ponies go after they (the ponies) escaped from Bree?

Tom Bombadil's house.

29. From the prologue, what was the distance from the Brandywine Bridge to the Far Downs?

...seventeen miles... pure guess.

30. The 2nd volume of LOTR is The Two Towers. To which 2 towers does this refer?
Isn't this debatable? The most obvious choices are Barad Dur & Isengard.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 8:50pm

Post #7 of 19 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and Frodo (SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Assuming Frodo was a baby...111-33=78.

According to Tolkien, Drogo and Primula Baggins drowned in TA 2980 during Frodo's twelth year. Bilbo would have turned ninety in that year (or ninety-one in the films).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 9:46pm

Post #8 of 19 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to do no mathmatical calculations on this one. Taken out of the text (very beginning of FotR).

When Bilbo was ninety-nine he adopted Frodo as his heir, and brought him to live at Bag End . . .

Bilbo was born in 2890. Plus 99 would put the year of adoption at 2989. Frodo would have been 21 years old. So accordingly Frodo lived in Buckland for about 9 years after the drowning of Drogo & Primula.

**Whew** I hope I've got my mind right!
You always make me THINK Otaku.
But my brain needs the exercise.

[edit] You didn't catch me on #28. Question should be 5 ponies.

-JRR Tolkien

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Jul 8 2015, 10:00pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 9:58pm

Post #9 of 19 (1715 views)
Shortcut
We have a new leader! [In reply to] Can't Post

#25 Correct
#26 Correct
#28 Close enough for a correct

Thanks joec Smile

-JRR Tolkien

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 10:06pm

Post #10 of 19 (1712 views)
Shortcut
But NOW I see you were addressing joec [In reply to] Can't Post

so . . . "Nevermind!" Wink

-JRR Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2015, 11:30pm

Post #11 of 19 (1706 views)
Shortcut
What's this? Another one? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, goodie! How's my retention? Uh...what was the question? Hm, looks like the Book will have to be used for most of these:

Ninety-nine.

Longshanks and stick-at-naught Strider, but I don't recall (and can't find) a third...?

Old Toby, Longbottom Leaf, Southern Star.

Twelve - three in each Farthing.

Fifty feet. But I wouldn't get within even 10 feet of it, with no railings or barriers there, no sirree!

Five. (Six in the stable, but Fatty was riding one of them.)

*gets out maps* Gladden, Silverlode, Limlight, Entwash, Erui, and Sirith.

Seven.

One.

More like hours - not even a full day to rest there!

Three.

Backarappers, squibs, crackers, cheese (well, it does go with crackers), elf-fountains, dwarf-candles, goblin-barkers.

Ah...don't you mean "5 ponies"? Wink
In search of Fatty Lumpkin on the Downs, but they ended up at Bombadil's - good food, and the "derry dol"s bothered them not in the least - until he sent them back to Bree.

Forty leagues.

Even Tolkien had a hard time with this one! Laugh My favorites are the primary locations, Orthanc and Minas Morgul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 9 2015, 3:59am

Post #12 of 19 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Gotta feeling dernwyn’s gonna walk with this one [In reply to] Can't Post

Longshanks and stick-at-naught Strider, but I don't recall (and can't find) a third...?

Well, it seems I learn from these little quizzes as much as anyone. Here I’ve made, what appears to me, now that I check more closely – an assumption! (Shame, shame on Bracegirdle!) Crazy
I have assumed that just plain “Strider” was one answer; but like you I can’t find textual evidence for my assumption.
Score one for dernwyn. Tongue

Five. (Six in the stable, but Fatty was riding one of them.)

You are correct with 5 as Fatty didn’t go into the Old Forest.

One.

There were three official meals: lunch, tea, and dinner (or supper).

Oh goodie – score one for BG Wink

More like hours - not even a full day to rest there!

Fair enough. I had NONE for an answer as they arrived in the dark and left about 7 a.m.

27. Oh yes, cheese UND Crrrackers. Tongue

28. Got me again. 5 ponies – YES, Yes, yes! Sharp-ears, Wise-nose, Swish-tail, Bumpkin, and White-socks.
Now, who rode which? And which was the supply-pony? (JUST KIDDING, don't go running to your books!!!)

Thanks for taking the time to play. Appreciate it! Smile

-JRR Tolkien

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 9 2015, 12:42pm

Post #13 of 19 (1653 views)
Shortcut
With Whom did Frodo live? [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thanks for the answers, Bracegirdle & Otaku. Now I'm really intrigued: with whom did Frodo stay for those 9 years? I mean, isn't 33 the Hobbit's coming of age? I would presume that a non-adult Hobbit wouldn't live by himself, so where did Frodo live? Perhaps a Hobbit orphanage, but I always imagined that Hobbits lived such mild lives that orphanages were unneeded. I would imagine that early deaths occurred, but perhaps infrequently, and there were enough family to care for orphans. Although upon further thought, I imagine that heart disease and perhaps type-2 diabetes may have been major causes of early deaths in the Shire.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 9 2015, 1:24pm

Post #14 of 19 (1648 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe there is an absolute answer [In reply to] Can't Post

I would imagine (although we don’t know for sure) that Frodo lived with an aunt and/or uncle (of which he had several) in Buckland.
And it appears that Frodo went through a normal growing-up period of being a little dickens, as has been attested by Farmer Maggot’s loss of mushrooms, Tongueand perhaps whomever he was living with was not extremely sad to see him carted off to Hobbiton. Mad

Further information on the relation of Bilbo to Frodo:
Although Bilbo is occasionally called the “uncle” of Frodo if we follow the family tree in Appendix C - Bilbo is the son of Bungo (son of Mungo). Frodo is the son of Drogo, who is the son of Fosco (son of Largo, Mungo's younger brother). Therefore Bilbo and Frodo share a common ancestor in Balbo, father of Largo and Mungo. Since that makes Bilbo and Drogo second cousins, Frodo is Bilbo's second cousin once removed. Crazy Crazy

So I think the term “uncle Bilbo” is simply a term of endearment. Angelic

-JRR Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 9 2015, 1:57pm

Post #15 of 19 (1636 views)
Shortcut
Darned secondary sources. [In reply to] Can't Post

Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth makes it seem as though Bilbo adopted Frodo immediately after the drowning of Drogo and Primula, rather than years later. This makes for a good reminder to not rely overmuch on secondary sources.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2015, 3:52pm

Post #16 of 19 (1627 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I gave the wrong answer on #24... [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to say: "One huge meal - all day long!" Laugh

Hey, maybe we can figure out the fraction of a day Frodo spent at Crickhollow! He arrived after dinner and in the dark, so probably 7:00-8:00, then left around daybreak, or 6:00-7:00; so a good guess would be that he spent less than 1/2 of a day there. We could break that further into bathing, discourse, sleeping, and breakfast...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2015, 3:58pm

Post #17 of 19 (1627 views)
Shortcut
Frodo lived in Brandy Hall. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which the Gaffer described as a "regular warren", when the Hobbiton locals were discussing that Bilbo never did a kinder thing than when he "rescued" young Frodo from those Brandybucks, and brought him to live among "decent folk". Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 9 2015, 5:51pm

Post #18 of 19 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, we need to keep an eye on Foster's Guide [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . on the death of his parents, he was adopted by his cousin Bilbo and went to live with him in Bag End.

Youch! Very wrong or at the least misleading. Eh?

He does though give page numbers (which I love) for double checking.

-JRR Tolkien

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 9 2015, 7:09pm

Post #19 of 19 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Maggot mentions “the night getting thick” [In reply to] Can't Post

as he leaves the Hobbits, and it was more than “a couple of miles” from the Ferry to Crickhollow; so your guess of around 7:00-8:00 (“in the dark”) seems fair.

The Hobbits “were ready to start . . . soon after 6:00 a.m.” (leave the house).
So . . . assuming equal amounts of light and dark (Sept. 26, about 50 degrees latitude) if Frodo arrived at 7:00 and left at 6:00 he spent 11 hours in the house at Crickhollow. (Both the arrival and departure would be in the dark. I think!)

Whew! Pirate
So your guess of less than ½ a day seems reasonable to me.

Bathing? 2 hours “Sing Hey! for the bath at close of day…”
Discourse? One hour and seventeen minutes.
Sleeping? None. Just tossing and turning, looking forward to being eaten by wayward trees.
Breakfast? NUTS! Only “first breakfast”. And a quickie at that!
EvilEvil

-JRR Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.