Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How were you introduced to Middle-earth?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How were you introduced to Middle-earth?
I read The Hobbit
I read The Lord of the Rings
I had The Hobbit read to me
I had The Lord of the Rings read to me
Rankin/Bass's The Hobbit
Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings
Rankin/Bass's The Return of the King
PJ's The Fellowship of the Ring
PJ's The Two Towers
PJ's The Return of the King
PJ's An Unexpected Journey
PJ's The Desolation of Smaug
PJ's The Battle of the Five Armies
A stage production
Other
View Results (81 votes)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 5:04am

Post #26 of 30 (1949 views)
Shortcut
Different strokes for different folks [In reply to] Can't Post

Those chapters are some of my very favorites. I wouldn't miss the view of Woodhall through the trees for anything.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 7 2015, 3:08pm

Post #27 of 30 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Long-forgotten memories of Rankin Bass unearthed by reading The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the Rankin Bass Hobbit on television when I was fairly young. I had forgotten about it nearly entirely, except for a haunting image of a wretched creature with large, dead eyes who was screaming for his birthday present.
Then, in middle school, I had to read a sizeable book from the library every month for my language arts class. My friend, A.K. Ibrahim recommended that I read The Hobbit & the three books of The Lord of the Rings. Four interesting books to satisfy my course requirements without making me fall asleep of boredom. About halfway through the book I recognized Gollum, and was all the more interested in finishing the book! Those were the first books that I couldn't put down.
So...Rankin-Bass introduced me to Tolkien's sotries, but A.K. Ibrahim introduced me to Tolkien's books. A hearty thank you to both of them!

p.s. sorry for all the exclamation points. I guess I was excited about this poll. Thanks, Ataahua.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 4:32pm

Post #28 of 30 (1920 views)
Shortcut
Yes. I was 22 when I first read it but the feeling was the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was so in love with it, and just about everyone living in it. And you know how passionately one loves at 15.

Never stopped.

Like a delayed but passionate attachment, like noting I had read before. I think the Sil suffered for it though in the first read, right after LOTR: I kept flipping through chapters looking for Hobbits, or Rangers (mmm...cities fall, OK hmmm Niniel hmmm, yes, very tragic OK WHERE are the HOBBITS!!???). It took a few years for the LOTR/TH to really settle in before I could branch out and embrace more.

Years later I had a similar reaction to reading Dune; I have the same issue embracing other facets of that universe too. First book is inclusive for me. But if I had to choose a world, it would absolutely be Middle-earth, hands down.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2015, 3:26pm

Post #29 of 30 (1890 views)
Shortcut
(a really brief history of my time in Middle Earth) [In reply to] Can't Post

In 1977, a wild black mare was born on the high desert of eastern Oregon (I'd meet her, and she would train me, in 1985), another "wild black mare" was launched at Inner Harbor Baltimore (I'd sail on her sister, the Pride of Baltimore II, on Halloween of 2007), Star Wars hit the screen, and a fellow fan dumped a pile of reading material into my hands.

"You must read this," she intoned.

I stared at the stack of verbiage and paled. Lo!, in my copious free time, somewhere in the next millennium. The epic tome was J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Somewhat later, I borrowed a tent from a second cousin twice removed, so I could spend a week on a desert island called Assateague. He told me about this game they played: D&D.

I showed up, rolled up a character, waved the paper at the DM and said, "What do I make of this?"

"Play an Elf."

"What?" You mean like Hermie, in Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer?

"Read Lord of the Rings."

I did, in 1978. Bakshi's film was in theaters, and I saw the it before I had finished the book, though some illustrations by Judy King-Reniets influenced my sense of what things looked like far more.

Thirty years, many fantasy illustrations, several "fanfics", essays and re-readings later, I'm still a fan of the original fantasy epic that spawned the rest.

LOTR was born the same year I was.

I was already a sci-fi fantasy fan (heavier on the sci-fi/Star Trek part). The thing about LOTR was: I recognized so much; I recognized the archetypal characters, the epic adventure, it all seemed familiar territory, as if I had come home.

TaliaEmerald
Bree

Feb 25 2016, 1:42am

Post #30 of 30 (1455 views)
Shortcut
I watched FOTR when I was 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched all three films with my dad when I was ten and it was one of the best parts of my life. WinkHeartHeartHeart

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.