Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its a hot one...so what have YOU been watching this week?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2015, 10:17pm

Post #51 of 87 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Terminator Genisys [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm worried I might be the odd man out again, because despite the seemingly poor reviews (which I've avoided reading), I had a really fun time with this. Meanwhile, everyone's going gaga over Jurassic World, and I really didn't care for that one.

While not as intelligently written as T2 (not a huge surprise there), this was the first Terminator since that one that felt like it had that sense of epic scope. I had a blast with all the T1 & T2 references (I was geeking out over and over in the first 20 minutes or so Laugh). Arnold was great, as always, and I really enjoyed Emilia Clarke as well (Khaleesi!!! Cool). Jason Clarke and Jai Courtney were fine, but they didn't really thrill me either.

The action scenes were great, and it just felt like Terminator (which the last two "sequels" did not). I'm not entirely sure all the time travel made sense, but honestly I don't care so much about that kind of stuff anymore. Tongue

I give it about a 4/5. Not quite up there with Cameron's classics, but a very solid sequel to them (at last!). Just really good popcorn entertainment. YMMV, of course, since I might be a minority on this one.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 1 2015, 10:23pm)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 2 2015, 4:37am

Post #52 of 87 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

I read a not-so-great review, and have been a bit on the fence about this one, but T1 and T2 were favorites for me, so I think the nostalgia factor might be in my favor as well. Of course, I did like JW, so I could end up hating this LOL. Think I may check it out this weekend. I never made it to the movies last weekend, but the temps have been staying pretty high, so this could be a good excuse for some A/C if nothing else.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2015, 5:07am

Post #53 of 87 (1829 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe "being on the fence" about it will help. Lower expectations aren't a bad thing. Wink

Regardless of the film's overall reception, I hope it does well at the Box Office (god knows, there's plenty of utterly horrible movies that make loads of money). Not only because I found it really entertaining, but also for the sake of Ms. Clarke. When you're looking to make that jump from small screen success to movie star, a big-budgeted flop is not a good way to start.

So fingers crossed for the Mother of Dragons. Heart

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 2 2015, 5:08am)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 4 2015, 6:48am

Post #54 of 87 (1794 views)
Shortcut
This was cute [In reply to] Can't Post

Some fun laughs, some tears, nice little story.

Slightly spoilery question for those who have seen it: did anyone else notice who the mom's primary emotion was? I thought that was interesting.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 6 2015, 6:03am

Post #55 of 87 (1771 views)
Shortcut
OK, saw it today *spoilers at the bottom of the post* [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I can say I liked the movie for the most part (due a lot to the nostalgia factor), but I still liked Jurassic World better. That one was more fun IMO, whereas this one was not as much. Poor Emilia Clarke had some awkward lines to deal with, but I thought she did a good job, and I also really liked JK Simmons. Smile So, overall, I'd say sure, go see it if you're a Terminator fan or as another summer popcorn movie - certainly worth the cost for a few hours of A/C. Wink

I just came across a great post on ew.com explaining the time travel aspects of all of the Terminator incarnations, so if you're interested, check it out after the spoiler space below, along with a few comments from me. Also, if you plan to see the movie, make sure you stay for the end credits! I didn't know there were any, so we didn't stay til the end.

*Spoiler space*
http://www.ew.com/...e-timeline-explained

Note: this is a really long post, but worth it if you're a Terminator fan and are at least familiar with all of it's incarnations, including the Sarah Connor Chronicles (of which I only saw some). Excellent use of a white board and post-its to explain the expanding theories. My favorite quotes:

"in this movie, the Schwarzenegger-Terminator falls into liquid metal and gets upgraded, because shut up." Yep, I was wondering about that bit (among others)

From the comments:
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but
*actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a
big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff
" Angelic

So, to sum up, the movie was a mash-up of Terminator, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, Twelve Monkeys, The Mummy and somehow, The Parent Trap. An interesting combo, but sure, entertaining. Cool

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2015, 2:52pm

Post #56 of 87 (1760 views)
Shortcut
July 5 episode of Poldark...spoilers... Truly, Madly, Deeply. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually think I like this version better than the original pole dark in some places. One is that in the original Poldark Ross was just about to renew his relationship with Elizabeth when Demelza's interaction intertwined with his. This makes it look all the more like he was doing the honorable thing. In this version he was still not close to Elizabeth again yet. So it is less of a sacrifice for him to marry Demelza who he seems like he is starting to have affection for anyway.

If you are watching Poldark, be sure to catch those zanyy girls on the Anglophile channel on YouTube as they do their episode recaps. They are hilarious, just as they were with the Outlander recaps.

I also rewatched this wonderful little film called Truly, Madly ,Deeply, starring Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson. I always cry through this movie but it's great anyway. It's about working through grief. And coming out on the other side.

Permanent address: Into the West

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 3:18pm

Post #57 of 87 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it seems Ross has made his choice! *POLDARK SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoiler space...the emptiness that tempts one to read what one hasn't seen! Laugh

I liked the interplay when Elizabeth rode to Ross', and the contrast of open hearted, naively kind Demelza offering Elizabeth the flowers, and the comments form Elizabeth which just seem to show a colder heart at the core. I know there will be social fallout for the choice of Demelza, but in that moment especially I like her SOOO much better than Elizabeth.

I am unexpectedly enjoying Jud. I find him to be such a surprising lazy scoundrel - at times he gives us glimpses of a more noble 'could-be', such as when he went out with Ross' friends in the fight and when he acknowledges Ross' actions on part of his poaching employee. But then he's also a rude and lazy cur the rest of the time. I find that rather real.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 3:19pm

Post #58 of 87 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Alan Rickman [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I also rewatched this wonderful little film called Truly, Madly ,Deeply, starring Alan Rickman and Juliet Stevenson. I always cry through this movie but it's great anyway. It's about working through grief. And coming out on the other side.

I know he's part of a cast, but sometimes he just seems like the only face I want to follow. But I agree, touching film and well played by all.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 8:26pm

Post #59 of 87 (1738 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the Truly, Madly, Deeply fanclub, [In reply to] Can't Post

along with the Dean Spanley fanclub. Cool

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2015, 8:34pm

Post #60 of 87 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Definitely the Dean! [In reply to] Can't Post

Time for a rewatch of that. And Local Hero.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2015, 8:40pm

Post #61 of 87 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Okay, so, did you have to go out and find that wine to taste? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't remember the name of it. Definitely time for A re- watch.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 7 2015, 1:13am

Post #62 of 87 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Hamlet [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a local Shakespeare in the park production with very interesting staging. It began in a clearing in the woods, then half the audience walked down a trail to follow Hamlet while the other half went another way to follow Ophelia. There were scenes set in at least half a dozen locations, and occasionally we'd meet up with the other group for a scene with the whole cast. It started in the early evening and ended after dark, which made for a very atmospheric graveyard scene. It's just too bad the mosquitoes were out in droves, but as thick as they were, I still enjoyed the show.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 7 2015, 1:36pm

Post #63 of 87 (1691 views)
Shortcut
Brethil, I think Jud [In reply to] Can't Post

just likes to stroke Ross' ego once and a while so he can continue to nip his rum. Cool

Hernevernen!!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 7 2015, 2:32pm

Post #64 of 87 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Kingsman Secret Service, Wolf Hall, Magic Mike and Poldark [In reply to] Can't Post

So I watched Kingsman on DVD. Correction, I had my eardrums blasted. I've never come across a movie that had such extremely loud music and sound FX and comparatively low volume dialog. I missed most of what people were saying. It looked like fun (with a few needlessly coarse bits) but will definitely need subtitles when I rewatch it. Speaking of which ....

I've watched the first two eps of Wolf Hall. I put subtitles on but there's nothing "sub" about them. They tend to pop up just anywhere on the screen. Odd and distracting. Other than that, this is a great production, as expected. I don't know what it is about Mark Rylance, but I feel like my eyes are just glued to his face. Not a showy actor at all yet fascinating. I also noticed a repeated theme in Ep. #2 of affection for pets/animals. It may be quite authentic (though the black kitten being treated so gently was a surprise; the Middle Ages when cats were considered creatures of witchcraft was recent history) or it may be symbolic somehow. I've just never seen it used so prominently in this type of period piece before.

Watched Magic Mike mostly on a whim and because I've never really understood the appeal of Channing Tatum. He does have charm and some utterly awesome dance moves. The movie as a whole wasn't bad, just really not my thing. Give me a brooding, fully-clothed dwarf king for serious sexiness any day of the week. For me, gyrating well-built guys sans their skivvies falls squarely under the label "ludicrous." Not that the sight of a man's bare chest offends me or anything. Ahem, see below.

Heart Poldark Wink. Read no further if you have not seen last Sunday's show.
I'm a bit surprised Aidan's much-ballyhooed scything scene did not elicit any comments from watchers here. Because, ya know, like, W.O.W. That said ('cause somebody had to, Wink), one of the things I really like about this show is that while it may include some bits like this and last week's bathing scene, they are tasteful and not overdone. Loved that Ross was hastily buttoning his shirt on when he went to greet Elizabeth. A lesser writer would have exploited the situation by having her being welcomed by a half-naked Ross.

Much to love for me in this episode from the wedding dance scene to the court confrontation between Ross and Rev. Halse (played so well by the original RP, Robin Ellis). Of note, because it's never explained in the episode, the infamous green dress Demelza found in the trunk belonged to Ross's mother.

Next week's episode is another favorite of mine. Till then!

Hernevernen!!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 7 2015, 2:47pm

Post #65 of 87 (1684 views)
Shortcut
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this 1970's film, starring Robert Stephens as Holmes and Christopher Lee as Mycroft. Watson was depicted as a bumbling idiot, a sidekick to Holmes more or less, and I much prefer today's characterization by Martin Freeman. It was nice to see some bits of Inverness, Scotland and Loch Ness as well. The legendary Billy Wilder directed.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 9:25pm

Post #66 of 87 (1663 views)
Shortcut
OK true confessions time. Hands up everybody that bought the Poldark Blu-ray or DVD today? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't want to wait to find out the end and I knew there would be extra stuff on the Blu-ray. Over 60 minutes of special features including interviews with the cast, directors, scriptwriter, and producer. Making of features and a commentary on episode one. Guilty!

Thanks, Grey Elf, for mentioning the dress. That was my guess at an explanation but I'm glad to have it confirmed.

***settles back for a long evening in Cornwall***

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 7 2015, 9:30pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:17pm

Post #67 of 87 (1653 views)
Shortcut
That Hamlet sounds very inventive, Meneldor [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they play the scenes through the play where one character or another is alone, then met up again? What a fascinating use of the script. Too bad about the bugs that accompanied you!

I took my BFF to see the Bedlam's production of Hamlet last year, done with minimal props and just 4 actors. It was energetic, engaging and completely marvelous. I love twists on an established play or film.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:17pm

Post #68 of 87 (1649 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* Probably right! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
just likes to stroke Ross' ego once and a while so he can continue to nip his rum. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:33pm

Post #69 of 87 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Intrigued by your animal symbolism ideas *Wolf Hall Spoilers* and many *Poldark* ones too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So I watched Kingsman on DVD. Correction, I had my eardrums blasted. I've never come across a movie that had such extremely loud music and sound FX and comparatively low volume dialog. I missed most of what people were saying. It looked like fun (with a few needlessly coarse bits) but will definitely need subtitles when I rewatch it.
The trailers were very loud too.

WOLF HALL info, and spoilers, FYI, all! Wink

I've watched the first two eps of Wolf Hall. I put subtitles on but there's nothing "sub" about them. They tend to pop up just anywhere on the screen. Odd and distracting. Other than that, this is a great production, as expected. I don't know what it is about Mark Rylance, but I feel like my eyes are just glued to his face. Not a showy actor at all yet fascinating. I also noticed a repeated theme in Ep. #2 of affection for pets/animals. It may be quite authentic (though the black kitten being treated so gently was a surprise; the Middle Ages when cats were considered creatures of witchcraft was recent history) or it may be symbolic somehow. I've just never seen it used so prominently in this type of period piece before.

I agree on so much here, particularly about Mark Rylance. I thought he was wonderful and surprising, like when he pulls that dagger out when the page surprises him after seeming like a sort of harmless man dabbling in Court life. Not a man to be trifled with ... yet he makes that arms-crossed sign of 'gritting through pain' when Henry rounds upon him. Just a lot going on there.
Darnit, I'm not sure I took in all the animal references. But I could almost see it as the way Cromwell feels about Anne at the end and maybe a bit about her in general? A beautiful animal (and she's a bit puma-like, a bit of a predator, then more like a bird with a broken wing) being put down...it bothers him, saddens him, but its done anyway.

Watched Magic Mike mostly on a whim and because I've never really understood the appeal of Channing Tatum. He does have charm and some utterly awesome dance moves. The movie as a whole wasn't bad, just really not my thing. Give me a brooding, fully-clothed dwarf king for serious sexiness any day of the week. For me, gyrating well-built guys sans their skivvies falls squarely under the label "ludicrous." Not that the sight of a man's bare chest offends me or anything. Ahem, see below.
I hafta agree with the 'ludicrous' there. Some of my friends are REALLY into CT and the Magic Mike films...the same people who I suspect think I am insane for thinking RA is one of the handsomest men ever born. Just not the same taste is all, I suspect. Interestingly, some of my male friends are totally into CT and think he's the hottest thing evah.

Heart Poldark Wink. Read no further if you have not seen last Sunday's show. (Hooray! Off we go!)

I'm a bit surprised Aidan's much-ballyhooed scything scene did not elicit any comments from watchers here. Because, ya know, like, W.O.W. That said ('cause somebody had to, Wink), one of the things I really like about this show is that while it may include some bits like this and last week's bathing scene, they are tasteful and not overdone. Loved that Ross was hastily buttoning his shirt on when he went to greet Elizabeth. A lesser writer would have exploited the situation by having her being welcomed by a half-naked Ross.

Yes I liked that his shirt was closed up. I thought he looks wonderful - clearly he's prepped for the role - in the less-than-clothes scenes, but they are sort a smatter of spice and not driving the plot so that's a pleasant use without feeling squicky. I liked that the scene with Ross and Demelza was so very subtly and tastefully done.

Much to love for me in this episode from the wedding dance scene to the court confrontation between Ross and Rev. Halse (played so well by the original RP, Robin Ellis). Of note, because it's never explained in the episode, the infamous green dress Demelza found in the trunk belonged to Ross's mother.

My you are educating me! That's the original Poldark? Annael mentioned him recently. And I wondered who that dress belonged to. Thanks.Heart

How do you feel about Elizabeth these days? Sometimes I feel like she's trying her best to be decent and honorable but there is a core of 'I'm-the-pretty-princess' there that sometimes maybe she isn't aware of fully - like when Demelza offers her the flowers and she's so (probably unintentionally) cutting. Or just a bit of the privileged life perhaps that she has led? I cannot quite see her pulling the mine along with Ross as well as Demelza, but she'd be better than any of those belles that seem to cluster around at dances.
So if they want me to be a bit torn about her they've succeeded.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 7 2015, 10:34pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:43pm

Post #70 of 87 (1642 views)
Shortcut
I saw this a LONG time ago! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes I loved this 1970's film, starring Robert Stephens as Holmes and Christopher Lee as Mycroft. Watson was depicted as a bumbling idiot, a sidekick to Holmes more or less, and I much prefer today's characterization by Martin Freeman. It was nice to see some bits of Inverness, Scotland and Loch Ness as well. The legendary Billy Wilder directed.

Sir Christopher brings that intellect to Mycroft to where you could buy he's actually smarter than Sherlock.

I like Charles Gray's Mycroft from the Jeremy Brett era. He has the brains plus seeming a bit put out by action. Laugh I'm still working on the new Holmes. I've seen all of them, but having a hard time attaching to it - though I do enjoy it. Its just not the #1 incarnation for me. But Martin's acting especially when Holmes dies is fabulous. The modern Mycroft opposite BC works very well too actually, I should add that.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:44pm

Post #71 of 87 (1643 views)
Shortcut
I didn't but maybe I should! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy, Patty! I'd love to hear how the DVDs and the extras are. Let us know when you float back in from Cornwall. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:46pm

Post #72 of 87 (1641 views)
Shortcut
It would be awfully hard to top T2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you liked Genisys. I may be able to get the son to go see it. I'd like to compare notes on this one.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 2:12am

Post #73 of 87 (1629 views)
Shortcut
Awww, I love Truly, Madly, Deeply [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody cries like Juliet Stevenson. Smile

Wanders off singing "Sun ain't gonna shine anymore..."

Annael
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 3:36am

Post #74 of 87 (1626 views)
Shortcut
the quirky indie fan club! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd add Cold Comfort Farm, Enchanted April, and King of Hearts to the films mentioned already.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 8:10am

Post #75 of 87 (1609 views)
Shortcut
I'll see your Cold Comfort Farm and raise you one Widows Peak, one Waking Ned Devine, and [In reply to] Can't Post

one Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain!

With a side wager of My Life So Far!

I'm not hip to King of Hearts, I don't think. I'm gonna have to look that one up. I may not have watched it if it isn't English, Anglophile that I am. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.