The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Radagast and Beorn plot

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 6 2015, 6:57pm

Post #1 of 22 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Radagast and Beorn plot Can't Post

On the ExtendEdition of DoS, when Gandalf meet Beorn at the first time, he says: "Good morning! I'm a wizard. Perheaps you know my friend Radagast, he lives at the south corner of Mirkwood."

In BOTFA, after Radagast saves Gandalf and leave him in Rasgobel, the Grey says: "Meet our friends, eagles and beast (Beorn in bear form) the battle for the moutain is about to start."

And then, in BOTFA, during the arriving of the the eagles, Radagast and Beorn are reunited, fighting against the orcs.

So, now we can see there's more scenes of them on the EE of BOTFA! They are very alike, both love the nature!

(sorry for the bad english)

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 8:13pm

Post #2 of 22 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Many of us know you Live in Brazil.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your English is.. Fine...

1. Want to see Raddy give Gandy his Staff..

2. Want to see Beorn mount an Eagle.

3. Want to See Beorn in Battle..!!!

4. Want to see Beorn carry Thorin to Erebor.

5. Want to see BOTH @ the Funeral.

6. Want to see Ravens sitting quietly in the High Reaches
of the Chamber
....durin' the DURIN's Ceremony.

OUT of the Extended 30 minutes {Quoting the GoblinKing}
that "SHOULD DO it"

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 6 2015, 8:18pm

Post #3 of 22 (1743 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

We know there will be more Beorn. But who knows if they'll stick with the Beorn captured subplot, which I imagine is where a lot of the Beorn and Radagast scenes would come from. We can at least assume there will be more of him at the battle and during the funeral.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 6 2015, 9:05pm

Post #4 of 22 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Personally don't want to see that [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn tortured in Dol Goldur would be unnecessary IMO - and I have no idea how they would fit that in anyway, would have made more sense in DOS, maybe as a flashback while Beorn is talking to the Dwarves.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 6 2015, 9:07pm

Post #5 of 22 (1707 views)
Shortcut
The TE explained rather poorly [In reply to] Can't Post

why Galadriel, Sarumane and Elrond went to Dol Guldur.

We don't even know how Azog captured Beorn after the dwarves entered Mirkwood (another question is why didn't the orcs follow the dwarves in the forest ?)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 6 2015, 9:21pm

Post #6 of 22 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Was Beorn caught? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We don't even know how Azog captured Beorn after the dwarves entered Mirkwood (another question is why didn't the orcs follow the dwarves in the forest ?)

When all is said and done, I'm not sure that the capture of Beorn ever took place in the final continuity of the films. I think that the idea was dropped entirely, even if some of it was actually lensed.

Perhaps the Elf-path through Mirkwood cannot be trod by Orcs or even others with evil intent. I'm not even sure that the great spiders could cross it.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 6 2015, 9:34pm)

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 6 2015, 9:32pm

Post #7 of 22 (1680 views)
Shortcut
That would make interesting scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

The orcs trying to get into Mirkwood, then failing and so turning on Beorn.

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 6 2015, 10:14pm

Post #8 of 22 (1659 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn is a extremely important character! I hope he appears for more 20 minutes on the Extended Edition!

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 6 2015, 11:14pm

Post #9 of 22 (1626 views)
Shortcut
He is in the book - but actually (and unfortunately)not in the Movie-Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 6 2015, 11:41pm

Post #10 of 22 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Where did this come from? [In reply to] Can't Post

They went to rescue Gandalf! As for Beorn being tortured, I assumed that happened long ago, not after he talked to the Dwarves. It would make no sense if it does.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 6 2015, 11:44pm

Post #11 of 22 (1611 views)
Shortcut
More Beorn is fine, [In reply to] Can't Post

as long as it's not this alleged torture scene. It would make no sense for Beorn to be captured and tortured AFTER the Dwarves left, when he went through that explanation about how he was captured and tortured already. I can only imagine such a scene being some kind of flashback, and one that is totally unnecessary in BOT5A.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 7 2015, 12:36am

Post #12 of 22 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Not according to PJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ considered him extremely important (or even somewhat important), he would have been in the third movie for more than 15 seconds.

Now Legolas on the other hand...

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 7 2015, 6:27am

Post #13 of 22 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Given the sequences [In reply to] Can't Post

Either you have a flashback (Beorn escaping the orcs with the help of Radagast), either a link.

The flashback may be the link : for instance after the Dol Guldur episode, Gandalf could ask Radagast if someone could help in the battle to come, and Radagast could remember Beorn's escape, and answer 'yes'.

Given the fact that there are no more orcs left in Dol Guldur at the moment Gandalf is taken prisoner bu Sauron, because they're gone at war , I understand it's right that Beorn's escape can't take place at the same time Gandalf went himself to DG coming from Mirkwood entrance.

So the flashback is an option. But if there is a flashback, why in the first place wouldn't Beorn tell the company about it when they're at his home ? We should have met that scene during DOS, but we had only a glimpse, with Beorn's wrist wearing an iron.

What I don't understand is how Radagast could ignore that there were many orcs in DG when he and Gandalf came to the fortress, if he participated to Beorn's escape there before.

Maybe Beorn has been tortured elsewhere by Azog or Bolg. It has not been told where Azog as well as Bolg and the orcs were supposed to have their 'official' quarters, other than Gundabad.

What could be a fine addition would be a Beorn's escape from Gundabad, because we would get some insight of Gundabad.

(This post was edited by Milieuterrien on Jul 7 2015, 6:29am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 1:19pm

Post #14 of 22 (1422 views)
Shortcut
"Beorn escaping from Gundabad"...BRILLIANT.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderful thinking!

Maybe while riding on an Eagle?
WOW!
He could be shown thinking about THAT
on his way for REVENGE, to Erebor!

EVEN if that doesn't make it into the Feature Film?
What a great IDEA!

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 7 2015, 2:34pm

Post #15 of 22 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Inside this Gundabad setting [In reply to] Can't Post

We could have Thranduil's heartloss as well...

Gundabad, interesting place. Built by dwarves, occupied by orcs.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2015, 3:18pm

Post #16 of 22 (1374 views)
Shortcut
The reason this keeps coming up is due to the comment in the Weta Chronicles V [In reply to] Can't Post

by Gus Hunter of Weta:

"At one point there was going to be a chase through the place involving Radagast, Gandalf and some Orcs dragging a captured Beorn...."

Alan Lee also says "As we shot it, the escape from Dol Guldur had Gandalf still quite badly wounded, being evacuated from Dol Guldur by Radagast on his sledge. There was a pursuit through the castle ruin with its broken staircases and bridges, a perilous chase culminating in them bursting out of the fortress's crumbling lower levels and into the forest again at ground level. At one time Beorn was going to bee present, a captive of the Orcs. It as an opportunity for Radagast to show some heroics."

I really don't think any of this was actually filmed...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 3:34pm

Post #17 of 22 (1364 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking the comments of Weta's Gus Hunter and Alan Lee into account, it does not seem as though the 'captured Beorn' sequence was ever filmed. It was in the plans for the films long enough, though, that the artefact was present in one of the LEGO sets.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 7 2015, 3:35pm)

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 7 2015, 3:37pm

Post #18 of 22 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Beorn mounting an eagle in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt that this will be on camera. I imagine that PJ & co. would perhaps show Raddy & Beorn joining up to go convince the eagles to intervene, but I doubt that they would show the eagles complying. If there is uncertainty about their willingness to help, then we get a more dramatic entrance when "the eagles are coming!" ...Although perhaps drama could be preserved while seeing Beorn mount an Eagle if we are concerned that they won't make it in time...
Fun thoughts Bomby.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 7 2015, 3:43pm

Post #19 of 22 (1357 views)
Shortcut
I agree that sure would be redundant [In reply to] Can't Post

...with the former chase involving Gandalf and Thrain. Not to speak about Radagast's first glimpse into DG and his first escape with his rabbit sledge in AUJ.

Once more a chase in Dol Guldur ruins again, involving Radagast again, Gandalf in the sledge (doing nothing), and meeting not only Beorn, but also a few orcs in the process ?

Hummmpffff...

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 7 2015, 3:56pm

Post #20 of 22 (1348 views)
Shortcut
I like your wish list, Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope we see all of those things!

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 7 2015, 3:57pm

Post #21 of 22 (1351 views)
Shortcut
We have glimpses of Beorn being tortured in DG [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDURhTBSefQ

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 4:17pm

Post #22 of 22 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pre-production art and make-up tests. Nothing that indicates that any usable footage exists.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.