Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I'm late, but it's still Friday and that means it's still Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Jul 6 2015, 6:06am

Post #51 of 74 (2003 views)
Shortcut
About that trip to NZ... [In reply to] Can't Post

*checks watch* we're still waiting. Pics, or it didn't happen.

Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 7:19am

Post #52 of 74 (2000 views)
Shortcut
It never happened [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not in any pics, so it can't be true. Laugh

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 8:17am

Post #53 of 74 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Like PJ's 30 questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

...all good things come in time. Cool

But yes, I will upload what I can, soon.

Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 8:18am

Post #54 of 74 (1988 views)
Shortcut
In lieu of pictures of Starling... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I have many more of Picton than I had originally planned to take.

Those blasted ferries. Laugh

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2015, 2:53pm

Post #55 of 74 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Can I still get a drink? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though it is Monday? Angelic

Permanent address: Into the West

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 6 2015, 4:11pm

Post #56 of 74 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Hey Patty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look!

http://www.driehausmuseum.org/dressing_downton

I thought of you when this was announced. Come visit me!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:50pm

Post #57 of 74 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Lovely bird. I've only ever seen them in Florida (Disney to be exact). [In reply to] Can't Post

One reason I put viburnums in was that their berries attract such beauties. I am holding out hope that some of them will find me one summer.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 7 2015, 10:54pm

Post #58 of 74 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Most welcome Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
electrical tape sticky side out around the trunk can stop the ants. Most of them anyways. You never stop ALL of them.

Smile

Flypaper can work too. I should quantify the Tanglefoot suggestion: I use it in places but I am so worried about hurting a bird with it that it has to be caged. So when I put it over tape or on an apple lure I then use chicken wire to 'cage' it so only bugs can get at it and stick to it, not birds. I felt guilty thinking you may use it and have a bird tragedy!

I just ordered that Luisa plum for spring delivery BTW, the one that was found in a Hamilton garden. I'm working on making room for it. Crazy

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 7 2015, 10:54pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 8:26am

Post #59 of 74 (1936 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my dear Entmaiden! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know those costumes are lovely!

I remember fondly the meeting Mr. Patty and I had with you and Gramma. Would love to come visit.

Wink

I don't know that I'll make it though. Been having some Patty Woes at the old homestead. My youngest son has just been diagnosed with epilepsy (pray he grows out of it, I understand many do ) and my son has just lost his job of maybe 10 years, due to a decision to make all the positions in his area full time. As you'll remember he is autistic, and in his particular case he is highly unsuited to working a full day. We are just about to begin the process of trying to find him another suitable job, which, again, in his case is not going to be easy. He's only in his 30’s...he NEEDS to work. So we are working through that as well as trying to replace his respite care people.

Always something, innit?

But if you go, please take pictures, if that's allowed.

Hope to meet up with you again in the future, though. But we don't get to Chicago often anymore since my mother in law passed away several years ago.

Enjoy the exhibit for me!

Annael
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 2:47pm

Post #60 of 74 (1922 views)
Shortcut
so sorry to hear that, Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

holding the prayer for the best possible outcomes for both your sons.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 8 2015, 3:44pm

Post #61 of 74 (1918 views)
Shortcut
A lot to cope with Patty. Sending thoughts your way, and to your boys, // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2015, 4:00pm

Post #62 of 74 (1913 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, Patty. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they can quickly work out the best meds for your youngest, hopefully that's all that's needed! (Hubby has had petit mal since childhood, but he's regularly monitored to make sure the meds are doing what they should, and he's never had any problems.)

That is so disturbing about you son's job, I wish they could have made an exception for him! Sending thoughts & prayers that something "even better" will come his way. Smile

*Hugs*!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 4:08pm

Post #63 of 74 (1912 views)
Shortcut
I see Siri left off the word "grand" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my grandson that has epilepsy. He has had 3 grand mal seizures in the past couple of months. They have put him on an anti seizure med that is not itself without ugly side effects, so we pray he will be able to get off of it soon.

I have only the one son, but my grandkids are all through my daughter.

I don't know how Siri left off the word "grand" but it appears it is hard to get good help nowadays! Wink

Thanks for all the good wishes. We are hanging in there, just like everyone else. We've all got woes, I know.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 4:14pm

Post #64 of 74 (1911 views)
Shortcut
My grandson is on Zeppra... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's what it's called, and they have given him some liquid Valium to be, uh, inserted in case he has a breakthrough seizure. So far, this seems to be holding him, but we'd like him off the Zeppra. Glad your hubby's meds are holding him. Scary. Really scary.

Thanks for the hugs.Smile

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 4:15pm

Post #65 of 74 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Brethil! / [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2015, 4:23pm

Post #66 of 74 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Those ARE scary. [In reply to] Can't Post

Petit mal seizures are mostly nuisances; but grand mal can be frightening! I hope they can at least decrease the dosage, or use a different med. The poor kid (and the rest of the family)! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 4:35pm

Post #67 of 74 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Yes. He is 4, so I'm really hoping he'll grow out of them... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't witness them, but I have to admit I'm now kind of reluctant to keep him for my daughter. That will really put a stress on her, but I admit that it's a fact. When she had to give him that Valium she had to have someone with her to hold him down as he shook. I'm afraid he'll injure his tongue. When I worked on Peds back in the old days they used to have bite blocks, but I guess they don't do that anymore, my daughter said.

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 8 2015, 4:45pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 8 2015, 8:33pm

Post #68 of 74 (1893 views)
Shortcut
Patty, if it is any consolation [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen hundreds of tonic clonic seizures and I have yet to see any tongue injuries. The most important thing is to keep the person safe from injury on floors, furniture etc, and to get them into the recovery position as soon as it is possible to do so.
Just from my own observations, it can take some time to figure out the right daily medication or combination of medications to keep seizures under control, or to at least reduce the frequency of the tonic clonic seizures. Hang in there, I know it is scary. Good communication and follow up with the involved medical professionals will be vital.

The children I work with who need medication to stop tonic clonic seizures don't have Stesolid (liquid Valium) anymore, as this has been phased out and they have all been moved onto Midazolam, which is administered via nose or mouth. As the person who has responsibility for giving the medication, I find it much easier and faster, and it also is a much more dignified alternative for the person having the seizure. I have no idea if this is an option in your grandson's case, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Is there an Epilepsy Association or similar where you live? These kinds of organisations can be really helpful when it comes to providing good factual and understandable information for families, as well as a listening ear and support.

I should also add that I am not a medical professional, but dealing with a range of seizures is part of my everyday work due to the needs of the children I work with.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2015, 8:56pm

Post #69 of 74 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Oh no. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bad things always seem to happen in bunches, don't they? I hope everything works out OK.

Note that the exhibit does not start until February 2016 and runs through May 2016. Hope things turn around for you, and you can come for a visit.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 8 2015, 10:28pm

Post #70 of 74 (1880 views)
Shortcut
All of what Starling said [In reply to] Can't Post

I deal with many seizures at work, though I no longer take care of peds. The best combo of meds is out there, its very different for everyone but they will find it. In some cases they will do an EEG monitored study over a few days to determine origin location which can affect medication choices. And indeed some children do leave them behind as they grow.

Your daughter is right, we stock bite blocks in the ICU but we only use them for intubated patients to protect the artificial airway. I think the danger of impeding breathing outweighs the tongue injury risk. As Starling said, proper 'recovery' (preferred right or left side lying) positioning can help with that.

(((((((((((((HeartPatty and boys))))))))))))))

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2015, 1:02am

Post #71 of 74 (1872 views)
Shortcut
DItto to above. [In reply to] Can't Post

The medication combo is out there but it sometimes takes time. The best thing a parent (or grandparent) can do is document breakthroughs and side effects accurately along with when you give the medication. The information will help the doctors pin down what is going on.

Make sure the pharmacist knows all the changes in meds too. Sometimes they are the last to know what is going on. The doctor will start new meds and not tell them to discontinue old meds, or they will add new meds and not give refills on the old leading them to think something has been discontinued.

The other thing the parents can do is get to know their insurance plan. If a med is not on the formulary, sometimes the insurance company will ask for a Prior Authorization before they will pay for anything. This requires extra input from the doctor regarding treatment choice. If parents know their plan well, (they usually have a website and a help line) this process can be sped up so that care isn't interrupted.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2015, 1:09am

Post #72 of 74 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Keppra - we use it a lot in my setting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Trade name levitiracetam. Often is used in acute cases, and the neurosurgeons like it postop. It is quite a reliable and somewhat newer medication, though individual response varies. They all have side effects - everything does! - but he may need it for a while and if its helping, it may help for a good period of time.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 9 2015, 1:07pm

Post #73 of 74 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Guys, thanks for all the helpful advice and information! [In reply to] Can't Post

We humans are always dealing with some kind of woes or other and it really helps to have others with similar problems tell how they are handling them or share their knowledge. At my age I take a lot in stride that I probably wouldn't have been able to many years ago. I confess that a grandkid with seizures and the loss of a job for someone in their 30s who is difficult to place has had me on the less than cheery side. Along with all those memento mori reminders coming in the mail from AARP and Medicare! Ha, but there's always Poldark and Outlander! Sly

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 9 2015, 1:08pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 9 2015, 3:32pm

Post #74 of 74 (1777 views)
Shortcut
one of my closest friends has epilepsy [In reply to] Can't Post

He's 60 and has had a wonderful life, so it's "liveable-with." His is well controlled with medicine. But still it would be lovely if your grandson outgrew his, and so I pray.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.