Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Fellowship of the Ring - a NUMBERS QUIZ – Pt. 1.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 28 2015, 1:38pm

Post #1 of 22 (5272 views)
Shortcut
The Fellowship of the Ring - a NUMBERS QUIZ – Pt. 1. Can't Post

The answers to all the following questions can be found in the text or prologue of The Fellowship of the Ring.
How’s your number retention
Open or closed book – your choice.
Good luck! Have fun! Smile

1. Which 2 of the Fellowship attempted to come to the aid of Gandalf at the Bridge?
2. How far was it to Bree after Bombadil left the 4 Hobbits?
3. How many of the Dwarf Rings did dragons consume?
4. Name 4 villages of Bree-land.
5. Give 4 names for the western entrance to Moria.

6. What was Strider’s explanation for the “G-rune III” found on a stone on Amon Sûl?
7. What 2 people stood by Gil-galad at the Battle of Dagorlad?
8. What 2 members of The Fellowship did not attend the Council of Elrond?
9. Give 3 additional names for Khazad-dûm.
10. What was the address of Sam & the Gaffer?

11. How many horses or ponies did the Companions set out with from Bree?
12. Exactly how many people wore The One Ring?
13. Name 4 families of Hobbits that lived on Bagshot Row.
14. After the flood of The Ford of Bruinen how many of the Nazgûl horses were found?
15. How many years between ‘The Unexpected Party’ and ‘The Long-expected Party’?

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 29 2015, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 22 (5214 views)
Shortcut
Closed book for me [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Aragorn and Boromir
2. four miles?
3. three?
4. Archet, Bree, Combe, Staddle
5. The Doors of Durin, The West Gate, ?, ?

6. G-rune he could not explain?, III = October 3
7. Elrond and Cirdan
8. Merry and Pippin
9. Moria, ?, ?
10. 3 Bagshot Row

11. one pony (Bill)
12. six (Sauron, Isildur, Smeagol/Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo, Sam)
13. Bagginses, Gamgees, Sackville-Bagginses, ?
14. eight?
15. sixty

*wipes sweat from brow* Phew! And people say my quizzes are hard. Tongue Thanks, BG! Smile

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 29 2015, 8:14pm

Post #3 of 22 (5204 views)
Shortcut
BlackFox is – Oh, so closed-book GOOD! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Aragorn and Boromir
2. four miles? ***Yes*** Smile
3. three? ***Close***
4. Archet, Bree, Combe, Staddle
5. The Doors of Durin, The West Gate, ?, ? ***Half-way there…*** Wink

6. G-rune he could not explain?, III = October 3 ***Oh, yes on Oct. 3. But he did explain the “G-rune” also.***
7. Elrond and Cirdan
8. Merry and Pippin
9. Moria, ?, ? ***It’s the job as never started that’s hardest to finish – at least you gave a start*** Smile
10. 3 Bagshot Row

11. one pony (Bill)
12. six (Sauron, Isildur, Smeagol/Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo, Sam) ***Ah, er, well, I shan’t say right now***
13. Bagginses, Gamgees, Sackville-Bagginses, ? 3 of 4 – Hey, 75% is a passing grade here in the USA***
14. eight? ***Correct. Wonder what happened to #9?
15. sixty

Thanks BlackFox. I’m continually amazed at your closed-book retention.

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2015, 11:39pm

Post #4 of 22 (5195 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, had to switch to threaded view before I saw anything :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Drum roll, please! This was trickier than it appeared at first. Shocked

1. Aragorn and Boromir
2. 1/2 day's journey???
3. 4, I think?
4. Bree, Archet, Staddle, Comb
5. Doors of Durin, West Gate, something to do with holly???Blush
6. Gandalf, third of October
7. Elrond and...Blush
8. Merry and Pippin
9. Moria, ...Blush
10. #3 Bagshot Row
11. 1
12. 5-ish? Tongue
13. Gamgee, Twofoot, Baggins, Sackville - if Bag End is part of Bag Shot Row?
14. 4???
15. 62

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 30 2015, 4:21pm

Post #5 of 22 (5157 views)
Shortcut
Doom, doom, doom, the drums are rolling. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Aragorn and Boromir
2. 1/2 day's journey??? A tad far methinks, or a sloow walk
3. 4, I think? correct
4. Bree, Archet, Staddle, Comb
5. Doors of Durin, West Gate, something to do with holly??? Hmm, holly? I believe Eregion breaks down into S. “holly region”. Right area anyway and a good start. Smile
6. Gandalf, third of October
7. Elrond and... Blush No need to be embarrassed, bless yer heart Heart
8. Merry and Pippin
9. Moria, ...Blush As I mentioned to BF, it’s the job as never started that’s hardest to finish – and you’ve given a start
10. #3 Bagshot Row
11. 1
12. 5-ish? Tongue It’s good that you put the sneaky “ish” in there, but shucks “ish” isn’t “exact”.
13. Gamgee, Twofoot, Baggins, Sackville - if Bag End is part of Bag Shot Row? Well now! Hrum, hoom. Interesting point Zarabia. I’ve always considered Bag End to be at the end (or beginning) of Bagshot Row. But the point is technically a debatable one.
Nonetheless your answer matches mine.
Smile
14. 4??? x2= Wink
15. 62 Youch! Really close

Thanks for playing Zarabia. You’re always a good sport. Heart Hope it was fun.

-JRR Tolkien

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2015, 11:05pm

Post #6 of 22 (5144 views)
Shortcut
An amendment to #12 :P and ? about #15 [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I forgot about Sam and Tom Bombadil. Even though I've read the books half a dozen times, I've seen the films *countless* times and sometimes the films interfere with what I know about the books. Tongue As for poor Tom, I confess I usually skip that part, Tom not being my favorite character. Apologies to Bombadil fans. Angelic

I'm not as familiar with TH, book or films, but I thought Bilbo turned 50 while on his adventure, making him 49 at the time of the Unexpected Party. He was 111 at the Long Expected Party -- 111- 49=62. So Was he already 50 at the beginning of TH and turned 51 on the road? What am I forgetting and/or messing up? CrazyTongue

And oh yes, I enjoyed this a lot though it's quite humbling. Laugh Thanks BG Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 30 2015, 11:07pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 1 2015, 1:20am

Post #7 of 22 (5132 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it’s easy to get mixed-up book to film or v v . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

So credit for #12 Smile

As for #15 – let’s see: A quick answer:
I admit to being terrible at these type of calculations as we need both the year and the month.
But without looking up too much and blowing my mind I believe Bilbo was 50 at the U.Party and turned 51 at Laketown although I’m not sure where this info. can be found.

But we can figure Bilbo was born in Sept. 2890 and the U.P. was in Apr. 2941 so wouldn’t he be 50 having not yet had his 2941 birthday?

But to put it simply (for MY sake) the U. Party was in 2941, and the L. E. Party was in 3001 = 60.

Having attempted some math (perhaps someone can do the calculations and get this to come to 60? Please!) I admit to taking the question directly from the first page of A Long Expected Party:

Bilbo was very rich and very peculiar, and had been the wonder of the Shire for sixty years, ever since his remarkable disappearance and unexpected return.

It does say in the beginning of -The Hobbit- that Bilbo was “about fifty years old or so. . .”, oh, thanks JRRT.
Also the U. Party was the end of April 2941 and of course he picked up a year 5 months later…
There seem to be different ways to do the figuring, most of which are beyond me.

Anyway, I hope this tells you where I’m coming from. I think 60 is the right answer.

Thanks for your thoughts Z. Keeps this old mind working (somewhat) Crazy

-JRR Tolkien

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2015, 12:19pm

Post #8 of 22 (5114 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to rely on quotes from the book as your source...Laugh

Okay, I concede that one. Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 1 2015, 12:20pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 1:14pm

Post #9 of 22 (5081 views)
Shortcut
ANSWERS to Numbers Quiz Pt. 1 - References gladly upon request… [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which 2 of the Fellowship attempted to come to the aid of Gandalf at the Bridge? Boromir & Aragorn
2. How far was it to Bree after Bombadil left the 4 Hobbits? 4 miles according to Bombadil
3. How many of the Dwarf Rings did dragons consume? 4
4. Name 4 villages of Bree-land. Bree, Staddle, Combe, Archet
5. Give 4 names for the western entrance to Moria. Doors of Durin, West Door, Elven Door, Hollin Gate, West Gate

6. What was Strider’s explanation for the “G-rune III” found on a stone on Amon Sûl? That Gandalf was there on Oct. 3
7. What 2 people stood by Gil-galad at the Battle of Dagorlad? Elrond, and Cirdan
8. What 2 members of The Fellowship did not attend the Council of Elrond? Merry & Pippin
9. Give 3 additional names for Khazad-dûm. Moria, Dwarrowdelf, Black Pit, Black Chasm, Mines of Moria
10. What was the address of Sam & the Gaffer? #3 Bagshot Row

11. How many horses or ponies did the Companions set out with from Bree? 1, Bill the pony
12. Exactly how many people wore The One Ring? 7; Sauron, Isildur, Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo, Tom Bombadil, Sam
13. Name 4 families of Hobbits that lived on Bagshot Row. Bagginses, Gamgees, Twofoots, Sackville-Bagginses, (and a thought: we know Sharkey used Bag End as his headquarters, but did he live there? Well, he wasn't a family though was he?)
14. After the flood of The Ford of Bruinen how many of the Nazgûl horses were found? 8
15. How many years between ‘The Unexpected Party’ and ‘The Long-expected Party’? 60

Stay tuned. Coming soon to a computer near you – Part 2. Beat the rush! Wink

-JRR Tolkien

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 1:18pm

Post #10 of 22 (5080 views)
Shortcut
Morning BlackFox. Answers to # Quiz Pt. 1 are given - cheers // [In reply to] Can't Post

-JRR Tolkien

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 8:09am

Post #11 of 22 (5064 views)
Shortcut
*facepalm* [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe I forgot about Tom Bombadil!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 4 2015, 12:58pm

Post #12 of 22 (5054 views)
Shortcut
Aw, don't feel bad BlackFox [In reply to] Can't Post

You are Sooo good at these.

Just remember that nobody is prefect. Tongue

-JRR Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 2:45pm

Post #13 of 22 (5051 views)
Shortcut
Finally getting a chance to pop through these! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I'll run through them closed-book first, but I think there's quite a few I'll have to "cheat" and go back and look up! Laugh

1. Which 2 of the Fellowship attempted to come to the aid of Gandalf at the Bridge?
Aragorn and Boromir.

4 miles.

Bree, Archet, Staddle, Combe.

West-door, the Doors of Durin, the Elven-door, Westgate.

6. What was Strider’s explanation for the “G-rune III” found on a stone on Amon Sûl?
Gandalf was there on the third of the month (October).

Elrond and Cirdan.

Merry and Pippin.

Moria, Dwarrowdelf, Black Pit.

Number 3, Bagshot Row. (Trick question! The Gaffer also lived at Number Three, New Row ("Sharkey's End"), but Sam did not live there.

One: dear old Bill.

Five: Sauron, Isildur, Gollum, Frodo, and Sam.

4? According to the book, there's 3: the Gaffer Gamgee, Rory Brandybuck, and the Widow Rumble.

14. After the flood of The Ford of Bruinen how many of the Nazgûl horses were found?

15. How many years between ‘The Unexpected Party’ and ‘The Long-expected Party’?

A fun quiz, thank you, BG! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 3:01pm

Post #14 of 22 (5047 views)
Shortcut
Oh, d'uh! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! I've started looking through the other replies, and of course, I forgot the most obvious persons who wore the Ring: Bilbo, and Bombadil! Laugh

However, I must contest the question as to who lived on Bagshot Row. Bag End was an address unto itself; Bagshot Row was located down the hill from it, and the other hobbits were envious of the "three hobbit-families of Bagshot Row" who could see all the goings-on as the Party was set up.

As for the number of years between the two Paries: I put down 61 years, since although the Tale of Years puts the parties at 2941 and 3001, respectively, the book states that Bilbo had returned 60 years prior to the Long-Expected Party, but at that point he had already been away for a full year on his Unexpected Journey, making the difference 61 years! Laugh (But saying "60 years" in the text sounds better than saying "59".) Wink

Fun stuff, thanks!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 4 2015, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 22 (5045 views)
Shortcut
Nice work dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Missed #3
I think you are the only one that got #5
#10 No! Trick answer! Good catch. I never thought of “New Row”
#12 missed by 2, aw!
#13 If Rory Brandybuck lived on Bagshot Row I find no textual evidence. . .? So there’s Baggins, Gamgee, Twofoot, & SBs… (There’s also the question of whether Bag End was considered to be on Bagshot Row? I always assumed it was. And also the question of Sharkey… …Whew!...)
#15 Some contention but I believe 60 is the answer.

[edit] checking your next post...

Thanks for playing Smile

-JRR Tolkien

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Jul 4 2015, 3:47pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 4 2015, 4:22pm

Post #16 of 22 (5039 views)
Shortcut
Me too - an "Oh, d'uh! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
However, I must contest the question as to who lived on Bagshot Row. Bag End was an address unto itself; Bagshot Row was located down the hill from it, and the other hobbits were envious of the "three hobbit-families of Bagshot Row" who could see all the goings-on as the Party was set up.

I was of two minds on this, picturing many houses in the foothills here in Boise that are set way back off the main road with a long private drive. But their addresses were of the main road. So my thinking was that Bag End was on Bagshot Row.

But I now think you have found the definitive answer with “three hobbit-families of Bagshot Row". (There’s also Gandalf’s letter to Frodo where he addresses it simply to “Bag End, Hobbiton in the Shire”, which I accidentally failed to mention (ha).)

So credit to you – I’ll buy it! Bag End was NOT part of Bagshot Row! Smile

In Reply To
As for the number of years between the two Paries: I put down 61 years, since although the Tale of Years puts the parties at 2941 and 3001, respectively, the book states that Bilbo had returned 60 years prior to the Long-Expected Party, but at that point he had already been away for a full year on his Unexpected Journey, making the difference 61 years! (But saying "60 years" in the text sounds better than saying "59".)

This is a killer for me. The Unexpected Party was in April 2941. The Long-expected Party was in Sept. 3001; makes for 60 years. It doesn’t make any difference how long Bilbo was gone (he could have been gone 10 years) as we’re not talking about Journeys but Parties.

I admittedly am still not sure if my thinking is correct on this – I’m terrible with these dates.
But I hope it’s one for me and one for you and we all can rest happily. Wink

-JRR Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 7:24pm

Post #17 of 22 (5027 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yours is correct! [In reply to] Can't Post

The 60 years, that is - I was just being a bit troublesome, for the fun of it! Wink

I've pulled up some info to try to figure out exactly who the other two families on Bagshot Row are.

From "A Long-Expected Party":
" ‘And no wonder they’re queer,’ put in Daddy Twofoot (the Gaffer’s next-door neighbour)". I missed this one!
"The poorer hobbits, and especially those of Bagshot Row, did very well. Old Gaffer Gamgee got two sacks of potatoes, a new spade, a woollen waistcoat, and a bottle of ointment for creaking joints. Old Rory Brandybuck, in return for much hospitality..." Now that I look at this, it's not clear whether or not Rory is one of the Bagshot Row hobbits.

From "The Grey Havens":
"But you know the Gaffer is close at hand, and he will be very well looked after by Widow Rumble." The assumption here, is that in order for him to be "very well looked after", the widow would be a neighbor.

So we have it definite that, at the start of the story, Daddy Twofoot was a denizen, and possibly Rory Brandybuck; but afterwords the Widow Rumble was most likely one. The text does not state whether the other two families were restored to their homes in New Row, only that the Gaffer was.

Do you know of any other mentions?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 4 2015, 10:56pm

Post #18 of 22 (5017 views)
Shortcut
We need to find 3 Hobbit families [In reply to] Can't Post

that lived on Bagshot Row (now that the Bagginses have been kicked off) according to your finding of – “ "three hobbit-families of Bagshot Row".
But we can’t, Mad and it NOW seems we have only 2 for-sures (pre-New Row): Gamgees and Twofoots. (SBs are out as they lived on The Hill). So your assumption of either Old Rory Brandybuck OR the Widow Rumble seem valid. Guess I’ll vote for Old Rory (if I have to vote).
No. I know of no other mentions.

But before I read your latest post I was skimming the Prologue. At the end Tolkien says, “He [Bilbo] returned to his home at Bag End on June the 22nd in his fifty-second year (S.R. 1342). . .” (T.A. 2942)
This brought me back to a part of this thread (talking with Zarabia) where I said that Bilbo was 50 years old at the Unexpected Party. To quote myself – “But we can figure Bilbo was born in Sept. 2890 and the U.P. was in Apr. 2941 so wouldn’t he be 50 having not yet had his 2941 birthday?”
So if he left in April 2941 and returned in June 2942 would he not be 51 years old having had but one birthday?

Now I get weird to try and get Tolkien off-the-hook.
When I was one-year-old I started my second year of life. I am now 73 years old and am living in my 74th year of life. Could we say that Bilbo was 51 years old upon his return but was “in his fifty-second year”?
(I did say “weird” did I not?) Cool

Thoughts. Did Tolkien err?

BTW I think we were both right and both wrong a time or two. Cheers on us!! SlySly

-JRR Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 5 2015, 1:09am

Post #19 of 22 (5012 views)
Shortcut
That's the correct way of saying it... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're 51, then you are "in" your 52nd year.

Yep, Bilbo had not yet had his 51st birthday at the time of the Unexpected Party. Since his 51st birthday happened in Lake-town, he was in his 52nd year when he met Smaug etc. and returned home.

I'll vote for a bottle of that Old Winyards that Bilbo left Rory! Laugh

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 5 2015, 1:10pm

Post #20 of 22 (4978 views)
Shortcut
Yay! *Drum roll* [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's off the hook with "in" his 52nd year.

And all's well again in Middle-earth! WinkWink

-JRR Tolkien

joec_34
Rivendell

Jul 8 2015, 7:58pm

Post #21 of 22 (4871 views)
Shortcut
I'll give it a go... [In reply to] Can't Post

Strider & Frodo? Good question.

Two days' walk???

Two...or three...??

... Bree ... ... I vaguely recall that one of the other villages had a higher population of hobbits who lived in houses.

...all I can think of is Dimril Dale, but I don't even know if that is West or East.

I have no memory of this...My guess is that Gandalf had been there on the Third of the month.

Elrond & Elendil???

Merry & Pippin.

Moria, Dwarrowdelf, & The Mithril city. That last one is tongue-in-cheek. I like the Wizard of Oz.

#3 Bagshot Row. I cheated. This question was too good--I had to know immediately.

Bill is the only one I remember, so one.

Sauron, Isildur, Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo, Sam. Six persons. Did I miss anyone?

Bagginses, Gamgees ... Cottons and Tooks? I doubt those last two, but Bilbo was pretty Tookish.

Zero. Hopefully.

I suppose 61. 111-(33+17)=61. I think that Frodo was the same age as Bilbo when they left for their adventures. I'm pretty sure that Frodo was 33 when Bilbo was 111, and that Frodo left 17 years later. So 61.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 8 2015, 9:15pm

Post #22 of 22 (4864 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for “giving a go” joec [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose by now you’ve read through the thread. I like your Mithril City! Sly

#13 We pretty well decided that Bag End was NOT on Bagshot Row, so we only have 2 families that we know for sure lived on Bagshot Row – Gamgees and Twofoots. With a maybe on Rory Brandybuck OR Widow Rumble – couldn’t be both as only 3 families lived on Bagshot Row.

As for #15. Everyone seems to have different ways of figuring this. But the simplest is from text and Tale of Years The Unexpected Party was in April 2941 and the Long-expected Party was in Sept. 3001. (3001 – 2941 = 60).

Cheers

-JRR Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.