Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I'm late, but it's still Friday and that means it's still Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 10:26pm

Post #26 of 74 (2866 views)
Shortcut
Waxeyes [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Silvereyes. One of my favourite garden birds. Technically, they are Australians, but I don't hold that against them. Wink

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 10:27pm

Post #27 of 74 (2861 views)
Shortcut
It's a grumbly old night here... [In reply to] Can't Post

there are heavy thundery showers forecast (11.23pm) and it's starting to rain now. The spell of hot weather we've been enjoying (round here it's a novelty) has built up some busy skies! I'm on watering duty for my friend's garden while they are away for a fortnight, so it looks like Mother Nature is helping me out tonight. Saluting Fiesta Friday and the 4thJuly weekend with the last slurp of a bttle of 'Lovestruck' premium amber ale by Madness Brewing Company, London. It has a little picture of Punch and Judy on the label. Cheers, all!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2015, 10:43pm

Post #28 of 74 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Er, that would have to be a rather large glass... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in order for us both to fit! Laugh

I'll join Dernwyn in an iced coffee.

I remember as a teen visiting a friend's house, and we'd always spend time plucking the Japanese beetles off their roses and plunking them into a Mason jar of gasoline. Tongue

Big congrats to the Tallest Dwarf Prince - and how absolutely awesome is that, that a high school offers Tolkien studies! Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 11:44pm

Post #29 of 74 (2845 views)
Shortcut
Coffee cup that large sounds perfect to me!!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 11:45pm

Post #30 of 74 (2849 views)
Shortcut
What lovely birds [In reply to] Can't Post

I will have to Google them, as needless to say they aren't in my bird book.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 11:51pm

Post #31 of 74 (2843 views)
Shortcut
They are neat trees! [In reply to] Can't Post

very easy care and easy harvest because of height. They are all essentially a limb sport (mutation) of Macintosh on very dwarfing and precocious rootstock (M27), so all of the Urban variety (and just about all columnars I believe) have that Mac-snappy-tart taste to varying degrees. Not a very complex apple. So that limits the varietal a bit, and as time goes on people will likely breed some more variety and tastes into them. I'm lucky, I like a crisp snappy apple so they work for me and green apples are very bird safe as they just don't see them.

I think in ground, as they can be containerized but always do better in ground.

I second your hopes! I am looking forward to Sunday, especially since its supposed to be beautiful here. May rain here tomorrow though I am seeing.

Enjoy the holiday, Altaira! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 11:54pm

Post #32 of 74 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Oooooooooh, you are so funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perhaps in one of those AP classes, he could to the math to figure out just exactly how many trees one can fit into one's yard. Laugh
Yet, correct. I probably need that equation. * smarty pants. *

Enjoy the holiday weekend, Kim! Hope its nice by you - have something tasty-nice-River-drink-strawberry-style for me!

Oh and check this out: did some blueberry picking today!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 4 2015, 12:00am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 12:03am

Post #33 of 74 (2834 views)
Shortcut
Have a look at that link in my post above [In reply to] Can't Post

There is plenty of info in there.
They are absolute darlings, I love them to bits. Heart

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 12:20am

Post #34 of 74 (2831 views)
Shortcut
The Missing Link! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly No, my garden has not been invaded by ancient hominids. I just can't see your link to the trees somehow (has it disappeared?).

I have to report that my cherry tree had the biggest yield in years, and probably the second or third best ever. I think the dry conditions helped with pollination, plus for the first time, we actually used Real Tree Fertilizer at the right time, instead of way too late. I've been giving them away like zucchini and will have to dry what's left. And my raspberry bushes are going nuts (fruits, I meanWink). Hope all your stuff is doing great! I'm having sume fungus problems with some veggies, but the fruit makes up for it.SmileSmile

If you can't find space for all your new trees, you can plant some up here . . . Evil

Congrats to your son! So many doors will be open for him. Especially if he speaks to them in Elvish.

Happy 4rth to all!!!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 12:30am

Post #35 of 74 (2826 views)
Shortcut
I don't want to encourage the birds around here to eat fruit [In reply to] Can't Post

as I get enough damage on my fruit trees as it is. Mad (Although I find the ants are more nibbly than birds, to be honest.)

Along with fantails, I'm more likely to see tui and kereru here, and hear the occasional ruru. (I'd love to see one sometime.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 4 2015, 12:32am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 12:36am

Post #36 of 74 (2817 views)
Shortcut
Fungal, you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm. Maybe try some sulfur on the veggies (its food safe and organic). Bonide makes one I think, can get it in big box stores. Even neem oil may help a bit.

Great news on cherry crop! Cool Whatever you did, do it again next year! Dry is so much better for cherry. Less rot, less cracking. I hope to have a crop on my Carmine Jewel in two years from now. Been debating a Sandra Rose or White Gold sweet cherry on ultra-dwarf rootstock in a container...Wink

I didn't post a link yet. The new trees are far too spindly for pics until I have impressive 'After' shots! Sly They are definitely on the Charlie-Brown-tree side.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 12:36am

Post #37 of 74 (2815 views)
Shortcut
Ah - thanks Starling! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will have a read. They are lovely looking birds.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 12:39am

Post #38 of 74 (2813 views)
Shortcut
You said it, Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't want to encourage the birds around here to eat fruit as I get enough damage on my fruit trees as it is. Mad (Although I find the ants are more nibbly than birds, to be honest.)

Same here. I have to net and bag as it is. Tanglefoot or electrical tape sticky side out around the trunk can stop the ants. Most of them anyways. You never stop ALL of them.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 1:22am

Post #39 of 74 (2809 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tip! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
electrical tape sticky side out around the trunk can stop the ants. Most of them anyways. You never stop ALL of them.

Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2015, 1:47am

Post #40 of 74 (2807 views)
Shortcut
They remind me of White-eyed Vireos [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe White-eyed Vireos without their stage make-up and costume on. Cool They are striking at the feeder when they turn suddenly because of the eyes. They also have a very pretty song. I've only managed to attract them once though.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 6:17am

Post #41 of 74 (2789 views)
Shortcut
Love the waxeyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

We often have small flocks of them. At the moment we have a colony finishing up this year's crabapples (they're most welcome - I've already gathered enough for jelly).

We're quite well-off for bird visitors (must fill in the survey...)

Regularly seen/heard:
fantails
waxeyes
tui
kereru
harriers
turkeys
pheasants
mallards
paradise shelducks
goldfinches
sparrows
swallows (seasonal)
kingfishers (seasonal)
starlings
yellowhammers
thrushes
blackbirds
mynahs
magpies

I'm fairly sure I left something off. :) We cheerfully share our orchard crop with them (but we net the berries, or we'd get none at all).

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Jul 4 2015, 6:23am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 6:22am

Post #42 of 74 (2790 views)
Shortcut
*Stokes fire* [In reply to] Can't Post

In a purely literal sense. :) It's damp and chilly today, but we have a roaring fire.

We made a batch of quince paste today, and Mr Kimi made bread, so the house smells lovely.

For those who have a holiday weekend, enjoy! For the rest of us: wishing you a pleasant (albeit shorter) weekend.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 6:26am

Post #43 of 74 (2788 views)
Shortcut
Quince paste [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of my favourite things in the world.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 6:49am

Post #44 of 74 (2788 views)
Shortcut
Mine too. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately our quince tree bears well, and we have making the paste down to a fine art now.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2015, 3:50pm

Post #45 of 74 (2765 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to warn you that Vancouver, although beautiful, is a pretty expensive place to live, but there is usually affordable student housing at both UBC and SFU.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2015, 3:52pm

Post #46 of 74 (2770 views)
Shortcut
I have made quince jelly before [In reply to] Can't Post

but have never heard of quince paste. Describe it, please. Always glad to learn something new.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 4 2015, 4:54pm

Post #47 of 74 (2763 views)
Shortcut
Bless 'em... [In reply to] Can't Post

with that ring around the eye they look like they've indulged in too many marathon viewings!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 8:22pm

Post #48 of 74 (2751 views)
Shortcut
It's yummy with cheese [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a small square, as it's very rich.

It's like a very thick jam, cooked to the point of setting firmly enough to handle. The quince flavour intensifies, and you get the sweet-sour contrast.

I've also made fig paste and pear paste, and plan to make damson paste some time. All delicious in their own way.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 8:48pm

Post #49 of 74 (2750 views)
Shortcut
I love pear paste too [In reply to] Can't Post

I found a yummy one at my local supermarket deli, but had to stage an intervention on myself and cease purchasing it as I was consuming vast quantities of it with heaps of cheese.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2015, 10:05pm

Post #50 of 74 (2741 views)
Shortcut
Last year [In reply to] Can't Post

we had such a heavy pear crop that (as well as eating vast quantities of fresh ones) I bottled them, dehydrated some, and tried pear paste for the first time. I used lots of spices, as the flavour is so mild (unlike quinces), and it really was very nice.

A smaller crop this year, so no pear paste. :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.