Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Video: CGI getting worse? The Weta Effect...

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 3 2015, 11:06pm

Post #1 of 4 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Video: CGI getting worse? The Weta Effect... Can't Post

This is an over-simplified explanation of some of the problems that current movies are facing with their VFX, but it's very well communicated and should make for some interesting discussion:

https://youtu.be/PRh1SC7SV2o

There's really a lot more going on than just the points raised here, though. One significant example is lighting. In old movies you'd shoot your scene and then place the CG object into the scene and try to best replicate the original lighting to make the CG object look natural within the frame.

With new films, where the majority of the image is CGI, everything has to be pre-planned during the shoot, and the subjects need to be lit in a way that will make them work in a CG environment. You then have to artificially replicate the lighting of an entire scene to match the subject, and the current technology for artificial lighting is just not advanced enough (yet) to realistically light a fully believable environment.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jul 3 2015, 11:20pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 5:41pm

Post #2 of 4 (966 views)
Shortcut
"The day they can reproduce nature exactly, there will be no more cinema." [In reply to] Can't Post

Jean Renoir, Interview in Sight and Sound, Spring 1968.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

glor
Rohan

Jul 8 2015, 12:59am

Post #3 of 4 (950 views)
Shortcut
It makes some good points but I would like to add some criticisms of the analysis [In reply to] Can't Post

1) High Definition and digital broadcast: detail in the world of HD broadcasts and digital screenings is required, sorry but those two Hulk images, I agree on my 22" monitor with the video that the one from a decade ago looks more believable but I know that on my 42" TV viewed via bluray it isn't detailed enough to lull me into a sense of believability, it just looks crude. Yes I know that good old celluloid film was able to record images with as much definition as HD but, most cinemas didn't show it at that quality( bad copies, incorrectly calibrated screens etc) and mass market home media, where the current real money is, wasn't the big screen HD experience a decade ago as it now.

2) The quote about suspension of disbelieve by Coleridge is about stories "human interest and a semblance of truth" and was written in 1817, that is not about cinema, that is about writing and acting.

• Acting as someone who goes to the theatre you do not need scenery to be transported to a different time and place, you need actors who can convince. One of the problems with Hollywood and green screen CGI is that, Hollywood actors mostly come from an acting tradition based around traditional Tv and film where they interact with real objects and things, the imagination as a thespian tool to convince, the theatre tradition, isn't there and most CGI films I watch, the inability to suspend belief comes from watching these poor souls struggle to act in the void of the green room ( notice that PJ's M-E films, especially the Hobbit have a cast trained and experienced in Theatre acting)
  • Writing. The lure of CGI, the ability to create amazing vistas and imaginary worlds have made producers and directors forget about the writing, they have become so obsessed with CGI and being louder, more colourful, and more incredible than their rivals, that they have forgotten the power of a good script and story.

3) The last decade has seen a shift in how Hollywood can make money and CGI is cheap. Sales and profits from video games outstrips Hollywood which is also faced by the mass pirating of the internet, Hollywood rather than giving the public the the thrill of the new has simply retrenched into sequels, remakes, franchises and well know properties ( comic book movies). How many Batman or Spiderman franchises do we need? It is the subject of CGI films not the object of CGI that is causing the lack of magic.

4) the magic has gone because of point 1 above. A decade ago i watched my LOTR DVDs on a 28" CRT, the crisp big screen magic of the cinema was missing I have a decent but modest set up now, 42" screen and a bluray player with a dedicated surround set up, I can recreate the cinema in my own home and the lure of the cinema has gone.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 14 2015, 4:09am

Post #4 of 4 (819 views)
Shortcut
For me, no home theater experience is the same as a great [In reply to] Can't Post

movie experience with a large crowd of engaged people and the giant screen. Yes, atmosphere is part of the actual movie experience and sometimes, it is bad due to annoying people. But most of the time the magic of the theater remains for me.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.