Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I'm late, but it's still Friday and that means it's still Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 4:31pm

Post #1 of 74 (1443 views)
Shortcut
I'm late, but it's still Friday and that means it's still Fiesta! Can't Post

Haha! We have the day off here in the U.S., so it seems like Saturday to me. Likewise, yesterday seemed like Friday, so it was all I could do not to start Fiesta! Laugh

Sooooo, what are all the U.S. residents doing on this nice, long summer weekend? We're doing yard work, going out to dinner with friends and will probably put something on the barbeque tomorrow or Sunday. Oh, and watch the local fireworks from our window upstairs.

Those of you who don't have a 3-day weekend, chime in too!

*kicks juke box* 'Born in the USA' by The Boss starts to play

Happy weekend everyone! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2015, 4:39pm

Post #2 of 74 (1355 views)
Shortcut
*gets out sparklers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Time to light up the night tomorrow - as long as the rain holds off! Laugh Greetings, Altaira, do you have any iced coffee behind the bar?

This is our town's annual Craft Fair and Lobster Fest weekend, meaning I'll be hunting for hand-made Christmas presents tomorrow, and enjoying cracking apart a lobster for lunch.

You can watch fireworks from an upper window? What a grew view! Cool Enjoy the barbecue, make sure the little shrimp don't fall through the grill! Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 74 (1355 views)
Shortcut
You're not the only one who's confused! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just looking at the timestamp on the most recent posts and thinking "No one has commented since Thursday evening? That's two days ago!" Crazy

My sister is going camping, so I'll have the house to myself this weekend. I'll probably just do some chores and errands, but no special plans.

The Colorado Rapids game Saturday is followed by a fireworks display, so that will be the extent of my celebrations.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2015, 4:50pm

Post #4 of 74 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Happy 4th to our American neighbours [In reply to] Can't Post

We already celebrated our Canada Day on Wednesday. And what a hot one it was, our thermometer registered 40 degrees (that's Celsius), and the heat has been breaking records right and left for a couple of weeks now. There are water restrictions, campfire bans, and general worries about low water levels in lakes and rivers. No sign of rain in the forecasts! Never thought we would be complaining about that although I might well be complaining if it decides to rain when we go camping later this month. Went out to visit our daughter and SO last evening, they are camping not too far away and right on the ocean - it was gorgeous, high tide with a slight breeze. I'd like to spend the rest of the summer there!

A green tea frapaccino would be a treat today, Altaira, thanks!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2015, 5:02pm

Post #5 of 74 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Altaira! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

As for this weekend, probably mostly just reading, getting caught up on a few things I need to do around here, etc. :)

I'll have a Summer Usual, please; thanks, and I hope you have a great Independence Day weekend, Altaira! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 5:03pm

Post #6 of 74 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Lobster fest! [In reply to] Can't Post

That always sounds SOOOO good. I hope the rain does hold off. It's nice and sunny and hot here.

*serves up a tall, cold, iced coffee*

Have a good one! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 5:04pm

Post #7 of 74 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Fireworks and the Rapids [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like an awesome celebration to me. Do you have season tickets?

Enjoy relaxing the rest of the weekend. Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 5:07pm

Post #8 of 74 (1344 views)
Shortcut
40 C, in Canada? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that's hot for Canada. I hope the heat calms down a bit, if not the dry weather.

That campground sounds lovely. I could almost feel that breeze. Smile

Happy weekend, Elberbeth!

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 5:20pm

Post #9 of 74 (1341 views)
Shortcut
I do, but I haven't been good about getting myself to the games. [In reply to] Can't Post

Always some excuse. I didn't feel good, or the weather was crappy. Or I didn't realize it was a Friday game until it was too late to get there. Tongue

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 5:24pm

Post #10 of 74 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll join Dernwyn in an iced coffee.Cool

Some weeding to do today, really pretty minor. Feeding the veggies, some watering...and figuring out where to put my 4 new columnar apples (I need space for 5, since I will get them a related pollinator too). Found dreadful Japanese beetle grubs in one of my planters: going all out and treating the yard with Milky Spore this year. Horrible invasive bugs. The birds though, relished getting served the grubs I dug up and put out for them in the feeding area.

I'm working tomorrow...often just about the craziest day of the year in trauma/SICU work. But I cannily took off Sunday, so at least I get that day to recover!

TDP's final grades for his freshman high school year were finally posted: High Honors, I'm having a great day of Mamma Pride. He's been offered and approved for some AP classes next year as well. In Junior year, we see that his HS offers a Tolkien literature class! That's a definite.

Everyone have a safe holiday weekend. Angelic

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 74 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Reading is good! [In reply to] Can't Post

*mixes miruvor and 7-Up.

Are you reading anything special at the moment? I hope you enjoy whatever it is!

Kim
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 5:29pm

Post #12 of 74 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Feelin' Hot Hot Hot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's that ice bucket challenge this year when we need it? It's hot in these parts - already breaking records with several days of ~90F. Have two movies booked to catch some A/C today and Sunday, and tomorrow will be 4th of July festivities including a local parade, and of course, fireworks (my favorite). Ah summer! I'll have a frosty cold strawberry banana smoothie please.

I was totally expecting FF yesterday too, then when I got up this morning I realized I could actually join in while it's still going on, so yay!

Happy 4th of July to all the US peeps, and happy weekend to all others. Cool

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 5:36pm

Post #13 of 74 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Hey, those apple trees look cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to google 'columnar apples.' I've never seen them. They look perfect for small spaces. Are you going to plant them in the ground or in containers?

Congrats to your son on his achievements! He's also lucky to have a while class on Tolkien available to him in high school, no less.

I hope tomorrow isn't too insane and that Sunday is nice and relaxing for you. Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 5:38pm

Post #14 of 74 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy the A/C, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Clever plan! Cool

*slides an ice cold strawberry banana smoothie down the bar - and realized I have the makings for one here in the house* --- hmmmm....Laugh

Have fun on the 4th!

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 5:39pm

Post #15 of 74 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Oh well, this one sounds perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoy it! HeartSmile

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 6:25pm

Post #16 of 74 (1322 views)
Shortcut
**Self-serve, and the bar is open all weekend . Happy weekend! // [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughHeartSmile

Kim
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 6:58pm

Post #17 of 74 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to TDP [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps in one of those AP classes, he could to the math to figure out just exactly how many trees one can fit into one's yard. Laugh Tolkien literature class sounds perfect.

Hope tomorrow isn't too crazy and that you can enjoy your recovery day. Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2015, 7:05pm

Post #18 of 74 (1319 views)
Shortcut
We've got family in town! [In reply to] Can't Post

It happens so rarely that it's really a treat! My brother and his boys are here and it's been nice catch up a bit. We went to Medieval Times (For those outside the US and Toronto, Ontario it's a disney-fied medieval banquet and jousting tournament) and had a great time cheering on the Red Knight. I got to drink mead and yell "huzzah" a lot. Not many places you can do that! Cool

We will be going down to DC for the Capitol Fourth fireworks. We take the Metro in and spend most of the day. It's also the American Folk Arts Festival on the Washington Mall so it's fun to see all the different arts, crafts and music. There is also a concert for ticket holders but we've never bothered with that. We like wandering around people watching and playing name-the-accent. Lots and lots of tourists in town. The evening ends with spectacular fireworks timed for the end of the concert. Those of you in the US can watch on PBS. Look for us, we'll wave! LaughWinkSmile

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Jul 3 2015, 7:06pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 7:27pm

Post #19 of 74 (1318 views)
Shortcut
But Altaira, yesterday *was* Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost thought you were going to get this Friday Fiesta thing right for once, but sadly you missed your chance. Laugh

First day of the holidays for me, yay! (Or at least yay until I go back to work on Tuesday and Wednesday for meetings.)
Hopefully this weekend I will get some garden tidying done, if it isn't too cold and muddy.
I will also sit down for an hour to do my bit for the annual garden bird survey. I can watch these little sweeties all day.

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 8:16pm

Post #20 of 74 (1310 views)
Shortcut
*pulls up stool* [In reply to] Can't Post

Catching up on sleep never felt so good! I've been sappy as of late, given the fact that one year ago today I arrived in NZ for 4+ months of bliss. *sigh* I'll be back someday, Kiwi 'sibs.

Looking like the temps here will drop under 80 the next couple of days. A friend in Sacramento has been roasting the past couple of weeks, as it's well over 100F most days. I might venture to soak my feet in the pool here, as I did yesterday late afternoon.

As for the 4th, I don't have any definite plans yet. A friend mentioned two different parties today and tomorrow, so we'll see if they pan out. Cool I could use a quiet day at the apartment catching up on work for my internships (yes, I have lots of work outside of the office...it's like I never left campus!)

Cool story: last week, I got to meet Mia Sara and Brian Henson! Long story, but basically I was their bodyguard through an event at work. It was very cool; they're wonderful people, especially since they're not in the spotlight much anymore. I think they enjoyed coming out to see fans once again.

Have a great weekend, wherever you may be!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 3 2015, 8:30pm

Post #21 of 74 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Haha! Of course it was. [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, wait a minute... now I'm really confused. Laugh

Not really, but I hope you enjoyed your 'real' Friday. Pretty birdies!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2015, 9:25pm

Post #22 of 74 (1294 views)
Shortcut
You have waxeyes?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen them for a few years - one, on one of my grevillia plants about five years ago. I miss them. :(

I do get the occasional fantail though, which makes up for it. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 9:42pm

Post #23 of 74 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Heaps [In reply to] Can't Post

There have always been lots around here, even more now that I feed them. The photo is not of 'my' waxeyes though. I have to put my bird feeders right in the middle of the pittosporum to try and defeat the starlings, which gobble up all the food and drive away the waxeyes, so I can't really get any good photos of them.
The waxeyes are eating pears at the moment - they really love those.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2015, 10:07pm

Post #24 of 74 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Happy (Belated Canada Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to weird that you folks in the Pacific Northwest USA and Southwest Canada have so little rain and such high temps when we're getting all the rain and the (relatively) lower temps in the North East US this year. From what I've heard though, anyone visiting up that way, if they get the chance, they stay. It looks beautiful!

My daughter is looking at a program at UBC and would like to visit for a week or so and get the lay of the land, look at apartment costs/areas, etc. Can I PM you for suggestions on where to stay, what to see?

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 10:21pm

Post #25 of 74 (1279 views)
Shortcut
What are those delightful little birds, please? [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.