Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LOTR sentences that you always recall...

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 2 2015, 8:27pm

Post #1 of 7 (2821 views)
Shortcut
LOTR sentences that you always recall... Can't Post

For whatever reason, I always recall the start to TTT...

"Aragorn sped on up the hill."

It made an impression for some reason. It may possibly be related to the fact that when I was 11-12 we vacationed in Colorado visiting my older brother. I was reading LOTR and the mountains scenes and trails we hiked must have resonated.

tgshaw
The Shire

Jul 4 2015, 2:47pm

Post #2 of 7 (2738 views)
Shortcut
But still I am afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

From "The Taming of Sméagol", Frodo speaking to an absent Gandalf: "But still I am afraid."

I think that line says volumes about Frodo's growth since his conversation with Gandalf in Bag End. He's not allowing Gollum to live because he considers him a safe companion but because it's the right thing to do.

But as far as lines that frequently come unbidden to mind, they're from Bilbo's poem in "The Ring Goes South":

For still there are so many things that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring there is a different green.

I think of them every spring when the trees are leafing out and each one has its own shade of green. Tolkien was such a great observer of nature.

(This post was edited by tgshaw on Jul 4 2015, 2:58pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 4 2015, 4:41pm

Post #3 of 7 (2725 views)
Shortcut
Of course, The Hobbit - "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit" is unforgettable. [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jul 4 2015, 4:41pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Jul 17 2015, 8:38pm

Post #4 of 7 (2501 views)
Shortcut
Well, whenever I get out the flyswatter... [In reply to] Can't Post

"It deserves death!"
"Deserves death? I daresay it does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment."

With flies, I am definitely far too eager to deal out death in judgment........

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 18 2015, 1:43am

Post #5 of 7 (2474 views)
Shortcut
I have a flyswatter in my lap as I type. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've swatted two mosquitos in the last 10 minutes.

In the immortal words of the Rohirrim, "DEATH!"

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Acanatane

Jul 26 2015, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 7 (2250 views)
Shortcut
this is the quote I thought of too! [In reply to] Can't Post

This one always springs to mind when someone asks this question for me!

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 12:45am

Post #7 of 7 (2233 views)
Shortcut
this is one of my all-time favorites, and the one that most easily springs to mind [In reply to] Can't Post

this is one of my all-time favorites, and the one that most easily springs to mind....

"wake that sluggard, fatty!"

i never hesitate to laugh when i read it, hear it, or think of it.

cheers :)

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.