Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How were you introduced to Middle-earth?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How were you introduced to Middle-earth?
I read The Hobbit
I read The Lord of the Rings
I had The Hobbit read to me
I had The Lord of the Rings read to me
Rankin/Bass's The Hobbit
Ralph Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings
Rankin/Bass's The Return of the King
PJ's The Fellowship of the Ring
PJ's The Two Towers
PJ's The Return of the King
PJ's An Unexpected Journey
PJ's The Desolation of Smaug
PJ's The Battle of the Five Armies
A stage production
Other
View Results (81 votes)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 1 2015, 11:48pm

Post #1 of 30 (5915 views)
Shortcut
How were you introduced to Middle-earth? Can't Post

In what way did you first step into the world of Hobbits, Elves, Orcs, and Men of Numenor?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 2 2015, 12:15am

Post #2 of 30 (5846 views)
Shortcut
Other for me: Dungeons and Dragons gaming, with a Middle-earth emphasis. [In reply to] Can't Post

That led me to read LOTR, then the Sil,and then TH. And then to everything else.Wink

Kim
Valinor

Jul 2 2015, 4:32am

Post #3 of 30 (5823 views)
Shortcut
I read the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was pretty close to when I saw the Rankin/Bass movie, so I can't swear which came first. I think I was about 7. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 2 2015, 5:33am

Post #4 of 30 (5821 views)
Shortcut
By a bad teacher in a royal blue polyester suit sprinkled with dandruff [In reply to] Can't Post

Forced to sit through the heinous Bakshi film at the movies as a 3rd form school trip, then forced to move and sit by the teacher (who had terrible BO) because I was more interested in talking to the cool army boys in my class.
Scarred by this experience, I avoided anything to do with Lord of the Rings until I went to see Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Rings 20 years later (only as a patriotic duty). I was hooked immediately, but only on the films.

It took me 7 tries to read The Hobbit, and in the end I just skimmed it. I have never read all of LOTR, but I have read bits of it, but only as a book/movie comparison really. Just not my cup of tea.

Not a real fan. I just like hanging around here to provide a bit of balance for all those nerdy Tolkien bookish types. Cool

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2015, 6:38am

Post #5 of 30 (5809 views)
Shortcut
I read LOTR after seeing the trailer for PJ's Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister had told me all about LOTR and TH books when I was a kid, but her description left me cold. I knew about Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Gollum and the precioussss, but they weren't bionic, nor did they solve mysteries with Bess and George, so I didn't care. CrazyTongue

It wasn't until I saw the trailer for Fellowship *cough* Viggo Mortenson*cough* Laugh that I sat up and took notice. I bought FotR but couldn't get past Concerning Hobbits and put it aside. But fortunately, I tried again, this time going straight to The Long Expected Party. I fell in love immediately! Yeah, there were a few places where I bogged down a bit and skimmed, but I kept going and that love deepened.

The films added another dimension to my admiration for Tolkien and his books; The Silmarillion added yet more. I never got as into TH, book or movies, but knowing the back story to LOTR makes it all more enjoyable.

Umm, what was the question again? CrazyLaugh Sorry for burbling on. Tongue

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 2 2015, 6:43am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2015, 6:52am

Post #6 of 30 (5808 views)
Shortcut
You really paint a picture, Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

By a bad teacher in a royal blue polyester suit sprinkled with dandruff

LaughLaughLaugh

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 2 2015, 8:14am

Post #7 of 30 (5807 views)
Shortcut
LotR is really quite a good read. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do recommend for those not yet hooked, to skip from The Shadow of the Past to The Inn of the Prancing Pony in Book One. That's a lot of material that was omitted from the movies, for (in my rather heretical opinion) good reason. The last half of Book 6 (in Return of the King) was also omitted from the movies -- probably wisely, from a cinematic POV, but are great reading and a nuanced perspective on the postwar Hobbits.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 2 2015, 11:14am

Post #8 of 30 (5789 views)
Shortcut
PJs [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ's Fellowship of the Ring, then Tolkien's books incl. the Hobbit then Two Toowers and Return of the King Laugh

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jul 2 2015, 1:48pm

Post #9 of 30 (5780 views)
Shortcut
Films first [In reply to] Can't Post

My visual and reading experiences were at the same time. I read the book, knowing that the film was about to come out.
Therefore all the characters had the actors' looks from the word go.
Forever grateful to PJCool

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 2 2015, 8:35pm

Post #10 of 30 (5745 views)
Shortcut
Stripped copies / [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 2 2015, 8:43pm

Post #11 of 30 (5744 views)
Shortcut
I'm positive I read the books first [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I seem to remember that cartoon version of "Lord of the Rings." It didn't do much for me, and I never saw the sequel. However, when I saw PJ's FoTR, I didn't remember half the characters - I remembered the hobbits, Gandalf and Gollum, but not Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli. Yes to Boromir, but no to Saruman. Weird. It's almost like I read half of the books, I even remembered the ship taking Frodo to the Grey Havens (and crying about it), but not Galadriel. Probably for the best, because I didn't remember Tom Bombadil either and therefore didn't miss him in the movies.

Now, as far as what actually captivated me and took me into Middle Earth? That would be Peter Jackson's "Fellowship" movie - that was the start of it all. I've been driving my family CRAZY ever since!

This is where it REALLY began!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 2:00am

Post #12 of 30 (5707 views)
Shortcut
Voted "other" [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings was recommended by a friend.
Weeks later I went to the local bookstore but had forgotten the name of the book. (True!)

A clerk asked if she could help. I told her I was looking for a fantasy trilogy but had forgotten the name. She immediately responded, “Oh, you want The Lord of the Rings” and showed me where the books were. She also recommended that I buy The Hobbit as it was a necessary introduction.

I have ever since been OCD on Tolkien.
This was 47 years ago, before every Tom, Bert and William wrote trilogies, tetralogies, pentalogies, etc. etc.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 2:54am

Post #13 of 30 (5710 views)
Shortcut
Your subject line grabbed my attention [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR is really quite a good read.

Yes, I agree.

But I cherish every single chapter and delicious word and hope others would also.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 3 2015, 5:16am

Post #14 of 30 (5696 views)
Shortcut
by my 9th grade English teacher [In reply to] Can't Post

who ran a summer camp as well; I went to the camp when I was 15. The lodge had a fabulous little library in a room on one side, with a couple of easy chairs and a view of the bay; it was here that he handed me a battered paperback copy of "The Fellowship of the Ring" and said "I think you'll like this." I think I stayed up three nights running and went straight through the three books of LOTR. Then I read them all over again from the beginning. And then I read them a third time, all within two weeks.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 5:39am

Post #15 of 30 (5696 views)
Shortcut
Well, I do too, now. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've known too many people who got lost in the Old Forest and never made it to Bree.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 8:47am

Post #16 of 30 (5674 views)
Shortcut
Through the films [In reply to] Can't Post

My very first encounter with Tolkien was a failed attempt at reading The Hobbit when I was eight or nine, but it was PJ's FOTR that marked my official introduction to Middle-earth. I saw it on TV around 2004 and while I did enjoy it, it did not spark further interest in me. Nor did its sequels. It was AUJ that finally lead me to the books, which were what got me hooked: The Hobbit captured my heart and LOTR sealed the deal.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 3 2015, 12:35pm

Post #17 of 30 (5662 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I see where you’re coming from [In reply to] Can't Post

As the enigmatic Tom Bombadil could be skipped and not interrupt the flow of the tale.
Of course anyone that reads as far as Book VI is certainly going on to the end whether PJ did or not.

Cheers from Across the Water

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2015, 3:36pm

Post #18 of 30 (5645 views)
Shortcut
The LEGO LOTR video game. Well...sort of. [In reply to] Can't Post

I *think* I might have tried to read FOTR for a book report in early middle school, but found it so confusing that I put it down when I got to Tom Bombadil and totally forgot for years that I had read it at all until I picked it up again after I had become a fan and got a heavy sense of deja vu.

That's why I consider the LEGO LOTR video game to be my first real introduction to Middle-Earth because that was the first time I understood the story enough to remember it, much less know that the world was actually called Middle-Earth. Then I watched the movies (AUJ was already out, but I watched LOTR first). At that point, I was basically hooked. Then I decided to read the books and figured it would be best to start with the earliest one, so I started with The Hobbit and that was when I truly fell head-over-heels in love with Tolkien. I watched AUJ, joined the TORn fandom, and then started working on reading LOTR, in that order, I believe. The rest is history.Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2015, 3:50pm

Post #19 of 30 (5648 views)
Shortcut
That was me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've known too many people who got lost in the Old Forest and never made it to Bree.

Yep, yep, yep. When I first tried to read FOTR in middle school, that's what happened. I was getting slowed down by my confusion to begin with, but the Old Forest became an absolute slog. Then I got to Tom Bombadil and I was like, "Who IS this guy? What's going on? What does this have to do with anything? I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!" Then I gave up.

Like I said in my own post below, I later came to understand the story of LOTR enough that when I picked FOTR up again, I got through it just fine. But that first time...Yeah. There's a reason they didn't put the Old Forest or Tom Bombadil in the movie.Unimpressed

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 5:27pm

Post #20 of 30 (5638 views)
Shortcut
That's *exactly* how I first read LOTR too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think I stayed up three nights running and went straight through the three books of LOTR. Then I read them all over again from the beginning. And then I read them a third time, all within two weeks.

macfalk
Valinor

Jul 4 2015, 5:42pm

Post #21 of 30 (5573 views)
Shortcut
PJ's FOTR. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2015, 6:29pm

Post #22 of 30 (5570 views)
Shortcut
I read The Hobbit first too [In reply to] Can't Post

and wasn't that crazy about it...had to be persuaded to try LOTR afterwards. Thank goodness I did! Heart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 4 2015, 9:51pm

Post #23 of 30 (5557 views)
Shortcut
School [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Riddle Game" chapter of The Hobbit was excerpted in our Fourth Grade Reader. This would have been in 1969, but I cannot recall if the chapter was the original version or the revision that Tolkien made to bring the book more in-line with LotR.

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 4 2015, 9:54pm

Post #24 of 30 (5558 views)
Shortcut
I watched Return of the King in 2007 [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jul 5 2015, 2:53pm

Post #25 of 30 (5538 views)
Shortcut
I did NOT want to leave Middle-earth! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so in love with it, and just about everyone living in it. And you know how passionately one loves at 15.

Never stopped.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.