The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Film rumours

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jul 1 2015, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 15 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Film rumours Can't Post

so, theres a few rumours going around that WB may be announcing some sort of tolkien based film at this years comic con.

obviously no silmarillion stuff (unless a secret deals been done) but of course there is plenty of material from the appendix of lord of the rings to go on. it does give a timeline of the entire history of middle earth so i suppose anything is possible, or there could be spin of films based on lotr and hobbit films, the hunt for gollum, young aragorn adventures etc.

thoughts?

my initial response to this is fear and dread, unless a film is based on some of the longer bodies of work from the silmarrilion, beren and luthien for example i do not support these new endeavours. but thats just me. My main problem would be that they would be basically making the stories up themselves based on very little written word. it also throws up many continuity issues, for example, they could make a film based on numenor, theres lots of info in the appendix, but any information thats in the silmarillion could not be used, which means theyll have to fill the gaps in themselves, which i think is wrong.

im imagining hobbit spin offs, a young bilbo, meeting rangers or the old tooks story, which is sort of fun i guess, but do we want authors or scriptwriters inventing middle earth stories? i personally dont. the hobbit took it as far as it could for me .

like i said unless we get the silmarillion rights, i dont think there should be more middle earth films.

discuss.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jul 1 2015, 6:10pm

Post #2 of 15 (2331 views)
Shortcut
Considering the hints we've been given... [In reply to] Can't Post

It will probably be special showings of Battle of the Five Armies EE, as Richard Armitage has said not so subtly in several interviews.

Anything beyond that... it could be that bridge film they originally planned on.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 1 2015, 6:20pm

Post #3 of 15 (2332 views)
Shortcut
I'd want to see ... [In reply to] Can't Post

If there were to be any more Middle-earth films, I'd want to see a movie (or a set of movies) that is (are) almost completely fabricated. The obvious contender would be a 'Retaking of Moria' movie. A movie which uses the themes Tolkien introduces in 'The New Shadow' might also make for a good movie.

If a movie is almost entirely fabricated then at least it will be the first time that it will be (almost completely) detached from Tolkien's works. We won't need to judge or review it as an adaptation, or debate how it fits into Tolkien's Middle-earth, or decide whether or not it does a disservice to the books. A movie with a fabricated plot, with fabricated characters, and even fabricated places, will purely be a film set within PJ's Middle-earth. It'll just be a movie, and we can enjoy it for what it is.

so, theres a few rumours going around that WB may be announcing some sort of tolkien based film at this years comic con.

^Not going to happen. At least not this year.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2015, 6:36pm

Post #4 of 15 (2314 views)
Shortcut
If the announcement is more movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

of course there is plenty of material from the appendix of lord of the rings to go on. it does give a timeline of the entire history of middle earth so i suppose anything is possible, or there could be spin of films based on lotr and hobbit films, the hunt for gollum, young aragorn adventures etc.

...This^ is basically what I would want to see. Movies based on the appendices would be awesome, IMO.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them filling in the gaps so long as what they fill it in with still believably fits within the world of Middle Earth.

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 1 2015, 7:37pm

Post #5 of 15 (2300 views)
Shortcut
Oh, but we would, Daniel. [In reply to] Can't Post

If a movie is almost entirely fabricated then at least it will be the first time that it will be (almost completely) detached from Tolkien's works. We won't need to judge or review it as an adaptation, or debate how it fits into Tolkien's Middle-earth, or decide whether or not it does a disservice to the books.

Laugh

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Jul 1 2015, 7:39pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 2 2015, 12:48pm

Post #6 of 15 (2201 views)
Shortcut
and how! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 2 2015, 3:27pm

Post #7 of 15 (2194 views)
Shortcut
It opens some niche investment options if such a film is planned. [In reply to] Can't Post

We could all buy stock in pitchfork and torch companies, everyone.

Laugh

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2015, 3:56pm

Post #8 of 15 (2186 views)
Shortcut
Or, of course, one could just do that anyway! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2015, 3:57pm

Post #9 of 15 (2187 views)
Shortcut
These things are always a one way bet for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see the need for disquiet or concern.

If something new is created and I like it, great.

If I don't like it, what have I lost (bar the price of a ticket and some popcorn)?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2015, 7:47pm

Post #10 of 15 (2133 views)
Shortcut
Agree 100% // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 4 2015, 10:24pm

Post #11 of 15 (2018 views)
Shortcut
Not your father's bridge film? [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to think that too much of the material that might have been used in the original 'bridge film' concept actually showed up in the three Hobbit movies. If there really is another Middle-earth movie to be imminently announced I think that it might focus on the younger Aragorn and his backstory.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dreamflower
Lorien

Jul 8 2015, 12:29am

Post #12 of 15 (1910 views)
Shortcut
I have no problem with filmed fanfiction... [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I'd love to see some of my favorite fanfictions made into films. And some fan films have been pretty good, like "Born of Hope".

But you mean official fan fiction, of course. If it has to be restricted to the Appendix material, there are a lot of prospects. Appendix A has some good stuff. There's the full tale of Aragorn and Arwen, and the founding of Rohan. Or in Appendix B, there could be the drowning of Numenor.

For myself, I'd love to see either the Long Winter, when Gandalf first met the hobbits of the Shire, or the Fell Winter, when Bilbo was just a young tweenager.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

Wasserwaldnymphe
The Shire

Jul 9 2015, 5:17pm

Post #13 of 15 (1835 views)
Shortcut
similar concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

theres lots of info in the appendix, but any information thats in the silmarillion could not be used, which means theyll have to fill the gaps in themselves, which i think is wrong.

That would be my concern, too. It would be awesome to see Numenor or the Adventures of Luthien, but they would have to cut all the interesting stuff or change characters. The books and poems are too great - it would be a pity, if we would miss Sauron as a werwolf or Morgoths Halls.

Furthermore, how would they introduce those characters who have got a complex background without touching the "forbidden" material?

BTW: Was Morgoth ever mentioned in the Appendices of LoTR ? I was pretty surprised that Galadriel mentioned his name in the Hobbit.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Jul 9 2015, 5:41pm

Post #14 of 15 (1831 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it, personally. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be interesting, but I don't think anything's boiling.

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jul 9 2015, 6:36pm

Post #15 of 15 (1825 views)
Shortcut
He... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Morgoth was also mentioned in LOTR. At least once, when Legolas refers to ''Durin's Bane'' as ''a balrog of Morgoth''.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.