Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
''Bilbo is right...''

Matthijs

Jun 30 2015, 5:20pm

Post #1 of 6 (1109 views)
Shortcut
''Bilbo is right...'' Can't Post

I just made this account & I immediately thought of something which i could share with you all Smile.
During the official main trailer ( around 1:09 ), we can hear Dwalin saying: ''Bilbo is right, you cannot see what you have become.''.
As we all know the part when Dwalin says: ''You cannot see what you have become.'' is indeed in the theatrical version.
The part when Dwalin says: ''Bilbo is right,'' is however NOT included in the theatrical version.
Does this mean we will see an extended scene of Dwalin talking to Thorin?
Or could it be that Dwalin's line is a part of a whole new scene including Dwalin & Bilbo and very likely more characters?
And if it is indeed part of a different scene, what scene will it be?
Thoughts?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 30 2015, 5:26pm

Post #2 of 6 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the forum Matthijs [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was part of the Thorin and Dwalin scene and I don't think it will be in the EE.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2015, 5:37pm

Post #3 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut
trailer line [In reply to] Can't Post

It could have been a line specifically recorded for the trailer. I really doubt there's an entire additional scene just for that line. If it appears in the EE, it will most likely just be an extra piece in the same scene with Dwalin and Thorin.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2015, 6:40pm

Post #4 of 6 (1003 views)
Shortcut
That could be interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

If that extra part of the line comes back in the EE I would expect an extended/added scene of Bilbo talking to the other dwarves about Thorin's sickness, not necessarily an extended scene of Thorin and Dwalin. I'm not sure where it would go (which gives me another excuse to watch the movie again! Yay!) but I'd love more scenes of Bilbo interacting with the other dwarves, so wherever it gets added, if it gets added, I'll be happy.

Welcome to TORn, btw.Smile

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 30 2015, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 6 (904 views)
Shortcut
I think this could be part of the extended Arkenstone debate... [In reply to] Can't Post

After Bard reveals the Arkenstone to Thorin. Bilbo says "I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to but..." Thorin interrupts "But what, thief?" There's a potential cut here as Bilbo changes position and shouts "You are changed, Thorin. The dwarf I knew..."

It's quite possible Bilbo originally said "Can you not see what you have become?! You are changed, Thorin...". But why would this be cut? Probably just for pacing/preferred takes, but...

Here's me going into huge speculation, jumping to conclusion mode. Maybe Bilbo's original line referenced Thrain. We know that Gandalf is likely to bring Thrain up later in this very scene, so it makes sense if Bilbo said something about Thorin not living up to Thror's image, this is then emphasised by Gandalf's words about Thrain in Dol Guldur and then the final beat would be Dwalin saying "Bilbo is right, you cannot see what you have become".

Welcome to the boards! Smile

Bofur01
Lorien

Jun 30 2015, 10:01pm

Post #6 of 6 (900 views)
Shortcut
Well yes, and Gandalf will have to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

"This treasure will be your death" at some point, as this is the only line used in the "gold floor" sequence that hasn't been spoken yet...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.