The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Regarding Khuzdul

Nevcalion

Jun 29 2015, 6:22pm

Post #1 of 4 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Regarding Khuzdul Can't Post

Hi there

- For an art project I require the line "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!" written in Khuzdul runes. Do I just take the Khuzdul alphabet and put the text together or is the "spelling" in runes different?
- Haven't read all the works of Tolkien yet: Are there any other dwarfen battle cries mentioned?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 1 2015, 3:39pm

Post #2 of 4 (1010 views)
Shortcut
The appendices in RotK [In reply to] Can't Post

Just match up the runes provided there to each letter in your phrase, remembering that the "Kh" is treated as one rune.

Offhand, I don't recall if the Silmarillion or Lost Tales have additional battle cries in Khuzdul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ostadan
Rivendell

Jul 1 2015, 6:11pm

Post #3 of 4 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Letters of Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi there

- For an art project I require the line "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!" written in Khuzdul runes. Do I just take the Khuzdul alphabet and put the text together or is the "spelling" in runes different?
- Haven't read all the works of Tolkien yet: Are there any other dwarfen battle cries mentioned?

This is actually one of the 'Exercises' in my Green Books article from long years past: The Letters of Middle-earth. The answer to the exercise is included, and the text may help you sort out just how and why the runes are used as they are.

http://greenbooks.theonering.net/...an/files/writing.pdf

Magradhaid
The Shire

Jul 1 2015, 7:15pm

Post #4 of 4 (993 views)
Shortcut
Khuzdul phrases [In reply to] Can't Post

There may be some in English (I can't recall), but not actually translated into Khuzdul. Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu! and (Balin) Fundinul Uzbad Khazad-dûmu are the only Khuzdul phrases we have attested.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.