The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Watching ROTK appendices

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 28 2015, 1:25am

Post #1 of 9 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Watching ROTK appendices Can't Post

I wonder how many of the model builders were put out of work by the switch to digital or if they were able to adapt an/or work on some of the larger sets. Minas Tirith being a prime example of the modelers art...now, it would be all CGI except for a few stage set scenes.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 28 2015, 4:08am

Post #2 of 9 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Funny too how the last pick ups were 3 years after principle shooting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Touching to watch the casts last good byes and speeches.

Then, fast forward to The Hobbit and the chance to visit ME again for Ian, Elijah, Cate, Peter, Ian H and Hugo.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jun 28 2015, 4:15am)

moreorless
Gondor

Jun 28 2015, 9:18pm

Post #3 of 9 (1736 views)
Shortcut
To be fair I think there are issues besides 3D and Jackson wanting to "play with CGI" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder how many of the model builders were put out of work by the switch to digital or if they were able to adapt an/or work on some of the larger sets. Minas Tirith being a prime example of the modelers art...now, it would be all CGI except for a few stage set scenes.

Those issues are generally mentioned as the reason why we saw a move away from models BUT I would suggest there was also although perhaps more significant one, the changes in the kinds of locations we were dealing with.

The LOTR locations were obviously somewhat fantastical BUT I think the way Jackson and co approached them(or indeed the artists before that) was to take the fantastical elements like say the rock spur or number of levels of Minas Tirith and create the most down to earth version of them possible.

Whilst the Hobbit films keep enough of the tone of LOTR to link into them though theres IMHO a clear shift to a more fantastical atmosphere and I think that's reflected in the designs. Locations like Goblin Town, the Elven Halls, Laketown or the Lonely Mountain become that bit more over the top in terms of there shear complexity which would make they a lot harder to create with minatures.

tgshaw
The Shire

Jun 29 2015, 12:37pm

Post #4 of 9 (1701 views)
Shortcut
Fantastical elements [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's a good point - about the Hobbit movies being more "fantastical" than LotR. Something such as Thranduil's steed (whatever it is) would have been completely out of place in LotR. I'm supremely grateful that the moviemakers kept a definite historical feel in the LotR movies. I want to see Middle-earth as the real place it is. I have mixed feelings about the more fantastical elements in the Hobbit movies - they tend to mess up my suspension of disbelief. But I can kind of understand why they were made that way.

(I can't be the only person who not only counted the levels while Shadowfax was running to the top of Minas Tirith, but loved that he turned at precisely the correct point on each level - exactly as Tolkien described the set-up of the city.)

moreorless
Gondor

Jun 29 2015, 3:24pm

Post #5 of 9 (1688 views)
Shortcut
I think they found a good middle ground personally.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think that's a good point - about the Hobbit movies being more "fantastical" than LotR. Something such as Thranduil's steed (whatever it is) would have been completely out of place in LotR. I'm supremely grateful that the moviemakers kept a definite historical feel in the LotR movies. I want to see Middle-earth as the real place it is. I have mixed feelings about the more fantastical elements in the Hobbit movies - they tend to mess up my suspension of disbelief. But I can kind of understand why they were made that way.

(I can't be the only person who not only counted the levels while Shadowfax was running to the top of Minas Tirith, but loved that he turned at precisely the correct point on each level - exactly as Tolkien described the set-up of the city.)

I would agree the tone of LOTR was just about right but the very nature of the Hobbit story is a lot more fantastical. Jackson sort of aimed between LOTR and the Hobbit book to get something that was believable as being connected to the former but also with a bit of the latter.

You can see it in the locations as well, LOTR obviously features some massive locations but doesn't go TOO crazy, normally taking 1-2 fantastical elements and creating something believable around them.

The Hobbit on the other had deliberately looks to go overboard with the detail, Goblin town is a giant mass of crude constructions, Erebor is like a crazy Escher maze, etc. That makes the locations near impossible to create with the level of detail needed via model.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 29 2015, 3:44pm

Post #6 of 9 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Though, Isengard's pits shared some similar features with Goblin Town. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am trying to recall if there were any models used in The Hobbit or if it was entirely CGI rendered....seems it was...other than large sets of course (with blue/green screen).

I think it is the HD digital product that has eliminated models as they show up with too much detail giving away their fake product etc.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jun 29 2015, 3:47pm)

adt100
Rohan

Jul 3 2015, 9:40am

Post #7 of 9 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Watching the DOS features.. [In reply to] Can't Post

They created very highly details models for LakeTown, to a 'filmable' level the same as they did with the LOTR bigatures. These were then used IIRC for working out configurations of the town for when they built the life sized set and for the CGI artist to extend the town.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 3 2015, 8:38pm

Post #8 of 9 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Yes, now I recall that modeling. [In reply to] Can't Post

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 7 2015, 8:24pm

Post #9 of 9 (1452 views)
Shortcut
They couldn't use model work... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because of 3D compositing.

Still, it's a pity they couldn't.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.