Fili, Kili and Tauriel - Extended Edition scene

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 27 2015, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 23 (3330 views)
Shortcut
Fili, Kili and Tauriel - Extended Edition scene Can't Post

I imagined a nice scene to the extended edition:

After the parting of Kili and Tauriel at the shore of the Long Lake, Fili and Kili would have a dialogue on the boat:

Fili: who's that elf?
Kili: She's... she's just my friend.
Fili: Remember brother, you're a heir of Durin, you must take our blood away! Imagine if Thorin realize you are chating with a elf.
Kili: Our token.
Fili: What?
Kili: I gave my toke to her...
[..]

I don't know how to finish this dialogue, but I think it would be a great scene for the EE, do you think too?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 27 2015, 6:54pm

Post #2 of 23 (3222 views)
Shortcut
More Kili - Fili Interactions would be most welcome but... [In reply to] Can't Post

With only 30 minutes or so being added, there are far more important things. What we know was shot and could possibly be included:

-Thrain / Gandalf - ??? Seemingly confirmed by Armitage recently. 2-4 minutes?
-More Laketown Attack - 1-2 more minutes (VFX heavy, doubt it's overly substantial given Smaug cost $1 million per minute on screen)
-More White Counsel / Dol Guldur - likely 2-3 more minutes
-Beorn / Radagast / Dol Guldur - We know at least some of this was shot, whether it ever survived the reshoot phase remains to be seen, like 3-4 minutes.
-Dwarves counting gold (part of existing search for Arkenstone sequence) 1-2 minutes
-Gandalf / Radagast / Rhosgobel - 1-2 minutes
-Bofur / Bilbo before Bilbo leaves w/ Arkenstone - 2 minutes
- Rams / Chariot - 4-5 minutes. Armitage confirmed actual chases is 3 1/2 minutes, assuming they'll add another minute or so to showcase the Rams prior.
- Additional Dale Sequence (Bilbo and Gandalf's lines from the trailer) 2-3 minutes
- Dwalin / Fili's Body / Additional Ravenhill - 2-3 minutes
- Funeral / Misty Mountains Reprise / Additional Goodbyes - 5-6 minutes
- Digging up the Trollshaws Chest - 30 sec-1 minute

Give or take, I think these listed scenes will make up what we get this year. I HOPE we don't have a repeat of DOS EE where they left out that beautiful scene between Thranduil and the Dwarves. What a severe disappointment. I hope that they re-instate that scene, or at the very least include it in its entirety in a future box set. Such a shame that they didn't include it.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2015, 8:24pm

Post #3 of 23 (3138 views)
Shortcut
missing Thranduil scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about the Thranduil scenes. Out of all the deleted scenes they left out, that's the one I think really should have been put back in. But stuff like like has happened before. I'm still confused as to why PJ left out the "mythic library scene" (as he calls it), which probably would have helped the flow of the heavily truncated Arwen sequence in RotK. And then there's all of the epilogue stuff that fans really wanted to see. The extended cut of RotK is over four hours long, I don't think anyone would have minded a few extra minutes added to the multiple "endings."

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2015, 8:29pm

Post #4 of 23 (3126 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought about something similar before. It wouldn't even have to be that long. Just thirty seconds or so of dialogue would be fine. I'd appreciate any extra Fili and Kili interaction, even if it was centered around the love story. That's actually one of the many things I dislike about the love story. It feels so disconnected from the rest of the story. No one else (other than Thranduil) even acknowledges it. If they're going to force something like that into the story, they might as well take advantage of it and bring in at least a little tension or understanding between the brothers.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 8:33pm

Post #5 of 23 (3113 views)
Shortcut
Not for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I wouldn't love more of these bonded brothers talkingHeart....but for me.....wonderfully, kudos to Dean O'Gorman in this caseHeart....

I like to think of these characters in my head, more as tho this was a book, so from DOS on I picture this future king's mind churning, he's nearly watched his brother die, the dwarves watching Laketown destroyed, Fili stepping up as leader - I think the dwarves in the boat as they approach the far shore would be pretty quiet, overall, stoically fearful about what they would find - for me, I just wish a few more seconds had been spent on the dwarves staring at EreborUnsure - after all, it's the first time Fili and Kili had seen the "halls of their fathers" and a kingdom of legend and stories."

I just think Fili is too distracted to even worry about a female elf, tho at the back of his mind I am sure he is grateful, and has a lot to consider.....

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 8:39pm

Post #6 of 23 (3112 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

I HOPE we don't have a repeat of DOS EE where they left out that beautiful scene between Thranduil and the Dwarves. What a severe disappointment. I hope that they re-instate that scene, or at the very least include it in its entirety in a future box set. Such a shame that they didn't include it.

Well, there was footage of that fan asking PJ for some of the unreleased LOTR footage, and if "it was poor quality we wouldn't mind" so if I ever had the opportunityUnsure, even years from now, I would ask PJ to finish and release the Thranduil/dwarf scene too. I hope other fans either post or ask the same. A lot.

The point has been made before of the sheer expense of every frame of a film, but that scene is so greatHeart I think it is sad that it wasn't utilized, and would make an amazing addition to some future collector edition.Tongue

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 27 2015, 8:46pm

Post #7 of 23 (3097 views)
Shortcut
I agree with ya [In reply to] Can't Post

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 10:32pm

Post #8 of 23 (3023 views)
Shortcut
But why would Fili ask who Tauriel is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..when he has been in her company long enough to see her chase the orcs out of Bard's house, heal Kili's leg and help them all escape the dragon. After all that, surely he knows who she is! It seems more than likely to me that he also heard the 'Feast of Starlight' conversation.

Sorry, I don't think that would work. It would be nice to see more of Fili, but perhaps not that.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Jun 28 2015, 12:20am

Post #9 of 23 (2966 views)
Shortcut
We need more Fili, but [In reply to] Can't Post

An additional scene would be better used if it were with Thorin. There's just something missing in the theatrical version between them. Fili's potential screentime shouldn't be wasted on talking about Tauriel. Now, if this movie waa going to be much longer, I would like to hear about Fili's thoughts on the how his brother is getting mushy over an elf. But we'll be lucky if we get 10 extra seconds of him.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 28 2015, 1:45am

Post #10 of 23 (2940 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this would be a rather pointless scene, and don't feel there's any need for more Tauriel (far too much of her already), especially given what we actually DO need.Unimpressed

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 28 2015, 10:40am

Post #11 of 23 (2786 views)
Shortcut
Ah no way [In reply to] Can't Post

While I more than certainly think Fili deserve more scenes they most surely should not revolve or involve Tauriel whatsoever. No way. It should've been between the dwarves for one.

And I disagree with whoever said a Fili and Kili scene isn't necessary. After being ditched in favor of that awful romance they really do need a brotherly moment. I've read plenty of comments of people online disliking the way Kili came off as uncaring about his brother in the last movie and while of course it isn't true we're just not even a moment for him to grieve. Just straight jumping into anger.

Fili & Kili scene? Yes!
Tauriel? Nope.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 28 2015, 7:54pm

Post #12 of 23 (2645 views)
Shortcut
OK, I'll play along [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili: What are you doing?

Kili: I was just saying goodbye.

Fili: Look, I realize she saved you back there, all of us really, but she's still an Elf. And we don't get along with Elves.

Kili: Well maybe we should!

I dunno, that's what I came up with. I'd kind of like to see some conversation between them, anything really. But I'd also like to see Fili talking to Thorin, maybe telling him that Bard apparently killed the dragon. Thorin heard about that from someone!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 28 2015, 7:57pm

Post #13 of 23 (2640 views)
Shortcut
Kili's anger [In reply to] Can't Post

Well to me it makes sense that Kili would fly off like that - I have no problem with that particular scene. Yes, he could have gasped the way Thorin did, in fact if you watch closely he does look down in horror. Some people would cry, but others would get angry and that's what Kili did. What most people are really unhappy about is that Fili was apparently forgotten - by Peter Jackson.Mad

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 28 2015, 8:12pm

Post #14 of 23 (2641 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't sound like something PJ would approve... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at PJ's preferences it'd probably be more like...

Fili: Everything alright brother?

Kili: Why does it hurt so much? Is this love? What is life?

Fili: Pull yourself together, we dwarves don't go chasing after elves. Isn't that right Oin?

Oin: Aye, I hope my brother's son Gimli never falls for an elf *looks at camera*

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 28 2015, 8:13pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 28 2015, 10:25pm

Post #15 of 23 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally love Kili no less than before... but... I'm watching Boromir's death as we speak and I can't help but sit here and wonder how it can possibly be the same people behind BotfA as FotR. It's just so... They were so amazing with the emotions in LotR. And in BotfA they couldn't even afford Fili a worthy send off? Not even give two brothers a moment? Are you kidding me?! It is so disappointing when you have been waiting years for these movies and then they go and ignore your favorite characters like that. I realize the book is even less, but... wow. These are movies. You see the characters. Usually you want the movie goers to connect and feel something with them. And of course I mean the average movie goers too. Not just the actual fans.

Ahem yeah so anyway I just need something where we get a feeling that someone cares about Fili too. If one of Dwalin's moments does not include blondie I don't know what I'm going to do... Unimpressed

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Jun 28 2015, 10:25pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 29 2015, 12:54am

Post #16 of 23 (2546 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin and Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though it's pure speculation and wishful thinking right now, I can't imagine Dwalin's new Ravenhill stuff not being Fili related. Of course there's the chance that its just an additional 30 seconds of random fighting and orc beheadings that will just leave all of us disappointed.Frown

I'm really hoping that Fili gets a similar treatment to what Merry got in the RotK EE. Although Merry actually had dialogue and things to do in RotK, a lot of his best moments were cut out, and at the time I felt like he was somewhat sidelined compared to the other characters. But then the EE came out and gave us that great scene with him and Aragorn, the moment where he offers his sword to Theoden, and his little speech with Eowyn (which is one of my favorite scenes in the whole trilogy). His arc felt much more complete after those were added.

Of course Fili was sidelined to a ridiculous degree compared to Merry, but I still think there's some hope that his arc will be at least somewhat restored in a similar way. We know he had other scenes that were shot. Now PJ just needs to actually let us see them. And I think he will.

Maybe...Crazy

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Jun 29 2015, 12:57am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 29 2015, 4:52am

Post #17 of 23 (2510 views)
Shortcut
You mean another "subtle" reference to LoTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

in Reply To
Looking at PJ's preferences it'd probably be more like...

Fili: Everything alright brother?

Kili: Why does it hurt so much? Is this love? What is life?

Fili: Pull yourself together, we dwarves don't go chasing after elves. Isn't that right Oin?

Oin: Aye, I hope my brother's son Gimli never falls for an elf *looks at camera*

LOL!Tongue

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jun 29 2015, 2:00pm

Post #18 of 23 (2421 views)
Shortcut
Faramir an Eowyn too [In reply to] Can't Post

In ROTK TE their love story was completely sidelined. And I am talking of a love story which Tolkien dedicates some of his most beautiful pages to, not a brief mention. We merely find them side by side and smiling at Aragorn and Arwen's marriage. Their encounter at the Houses of Healing was cut: I was a bit bothered at the time, but I was sure that it would be included in the EE.
Now I am not sure of anything, unfortunately.
I would like to add that it was one of my favourite episodes in the whole trilogy...Blush

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 29 2015, 2:04pm

Post #19 of 23 (2417 views)
Shortcut
Donīt forget [In reply to] Can't Post

the worst cut of all Saruman.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 30 2015, 6:42am

Post #20 of 23 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I came out of RotK loving the film but disappointed by the loss of Faramir and Eowyn's story. That's one reason why I'm far less critical of BotFA than a lot of people here. Seems to me nothing has really changed. Peter Jackson is always more ambitious for his films than the cinema timing will allow, but in the long run it doesn't matter because he he has more freedom in the EEs.

As before, so now, I love the film though there are things I really missed seeing - and when the EE comes along I'll love it even more. Right across the whole six films the EE scenes include many of my favourites.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2015, 6:22pm

Post #21 of 23 (2174 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep hoping that if they ever come out with those Super Extended Editions of the whole Saga we've all fantasized about, that they'll add in whatever Hobbit scenes they left out too. Especially that one.

Extra Thranduil is never unnecessary, PJ.Unimpressed

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jul 3 2015, 1:21pm

Post #22 of 23 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Extension? [In reply to] Can't Post

If anything, the last thing this trilogy needs is an extension.
It needs some trimming down, along with some scenes replaced by EE scenes.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jul 8 2015, 5:32pm

Post #23 of 23 (1823 views)
Shortcut
No more Tauriel and Kili please! [In reply to] Can't Post

They have had enough screentime as is, same with Kili IMO. I would like to see more Fili though.

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Jul 8 2015, 5:32pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.