Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 10:36am

Post #26 of 37 (1651 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth (ish)

July 7, 1999
(Official press release)
1. ELIJAH WOOD IS FIRST TO JOIN CAST OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN'S "THE LORD OF THE RINGS" FOR NEW LINE CINEMA AND DIRECTOR PETER JACKSON
..."(Los Angeles, July 7, 1999) - Elijah Wood has been cast in the lead role of New Line Cinema's live action, special effects-packed trilogy of films based on J.R.R. Tolkien's internationally renowned fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings, it was jointly announced today by director Peter Jackson, Michael De Luca, President and Chief Operating Officer of New Line Productions, and Mark Ordesky, President of Fine Line Features.
...In joining the cast, Wood has committed to a project of unparalleled size and scope. Production on the highly anticipated serial is expected to begin by early October and principal photography will last more than a year, according to Jackson, who also serves as co-writer and co-producer of the fabled franchise.
...The three Lord of the Rings films, beginning with The Fellowship of the Rings, will be produced consecutively and shot on location in New Zealand. Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Stephen Sinclair have completed their script for Part One: The Fellowship of the Rings and additional casting is currently underway.
..."In casting this critical role, we knew we had to find an actor of great depth of range to take an audience on a journey through three movies," Jackson said. "While we looked at many good actors, it was clear from the moment that we met Elijah that we had found Frodo Baggins. He has an enormous natural ability to draw an audience into a story and the dramatic depth to hold them there."
...Set in a mythic pre-history, The Lord of the Rings tells the saga of a desperate battle against encroaching evil - a perilous quest to save humanity which falls upon the shoulders of young Frodo Baggins (Woods), who has inherited a seemingly innocent magic ring from his elderly cousin Bilbo.
...Frodo soon learns that the ring's original maker, the Dark Lord Sauron, is desperately seeking it - for it is a ring of great evil which will enable Sauron to enslave the people of this land known as Middle-earth. A hurriedly assembled fellowship of wizard, elf, dwarf and men accompany Frodo and his friends on a harrowing mission across Middle-earth in an attempt to destroy the ring by casting it into the volcanic fires in the Crack of Doom. Against them rages the monstrous power of Sauron, whose sinister emissaries ruthlessly pursue Frodo and his companions, while the omnipotent power of the ring attempts to corrupt the Fellowship from within.
...New Line picked-up the rights to Lord of the Rings from Miramax Films last August. Miramax co-chairmen Bob and Harvey Weinstein serve as executive producers of the films along with Saul Zaentz."

Siân Clement
3 Foot 6

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 7 2015, 1:54pm

Post #27 of 37 (1644 views)
Shortcut
I’m with you gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve been somewhat befuddled on the Shire Calendar.
I had thought that “Midyear’s Day” and “Overlithe” were the same day as Overlithe was put in parentheses below Midyear’s Day which (wrongly) meant to me that they were the same day. Crazy

But now with Otaku’s input and reading and re-reading and re-reading again Tolkien’s addendum I think it goes something like this:

30 days in each of 12 months = 360 days.
Add in 1 Yule, 2 Yule, Midyear’s Day, 1 Lithe, and 2 Lithe = 5 days.
360 + 5 = 365 **Yay** The proper amount of days for a normal year! Smile

And “Overlithe” was only during a leap year!

The Overlithe was a day of special holiday, but it did not occur in any of the years important to the history of the Great Ring.

Boy-o boy, I hope I’ve got my mind right! Tongue

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 7 2015, 3:51pm

Post #28 of 37 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Sixteen years ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

So long ago, it seems like a dream...but it is a good dream...and one that was Meant To Be. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 7:26pm

Post #29 of 37 (1630 views)
Shortcut
A dream [In reply to] Can't Post

that is turning into legend. I'm so thrilled we've been a part of it all... the very good dream :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 7:32pm

Post #30 of 37 (1590 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that continues a long look at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of the Flight of the Noldor: The Silmarillion

... "…Fëanor spoke… …and cried bitterly: 'For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest. It may be that I can unlock my jewels, but never again shall I make their like; and if I must break them, I shall break my heart, and I shall be slain; first of all the Eldar in Aman.' ... 'Not the first,' said Mandos, but they did not understand… …again there was silence, while Fëanor brooded in the dark. It seemed to him that he was beset in a ring of enemies, and the words of Melkor returned to him, saying that the Silmarils were not safe, if the Valar would possess them. 'And is he not Vala as are they,' said his thought, 'and does he not understand their hearts? Yea, a thief shall reveal thieves!' Then he cried aloud: 'This thing I will not do of free will. But if the Valar will constrain me, then shall I know indeed that Melkor is of their kindred.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2015, 4:36pm

Post #31 of 37 (1577 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Continuing a book Spoiler that takes a long look at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Then Mandos said [to Feanor]: 'Thou hast spoken.' And Nienna arose and went up onto Ezellohar, and cast back her grey hood, and with her tears washed away the defilements of Ungoliant; and she sang in mourning for the bitterness of the world and the Marring of Arda...
... …even as Nienna mourned, there came messengers from Formenos, and they were Noldor and bore new tidings of evil… …they told how a blind Darkness came northward… …in the midst walked some power for which there was no name, and the Darkness issued from it. But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark… …Melkor had broken the stronghold of Formenos, and taken all the Jewels of the Noldor that were hoarded in that place; and the Silmarils were gone. ... Then Fëanor rose, and lifting up his hand before Manwë he cursed Melkor, naming him Morgoth, the Black Foe of the World; and by that name only was he known to the Eldar ever after. And he cursed also the summons of Manwë and the hour in which he came to Taniquetil, thinking in the madness of his rage and grief that had he been at Formenos his strength would have availed more than to be slain also, as Melkor had purposed. Then Fëanor ran from the Ring of Doom… …into the night; for his father was dearer to him than the Light of Valinor or the peerless works of his hands…"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 10 2015, 2:09pm

Post #32 of 37 (1577 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 10, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf imprisoned in Orthanc
(from the appendices)
..."'Late one evening I came to the gate, like a great arch in the wall of rock; and it was strongly guarded. But the keepers of the gate were on the watch for me and told me that Saruman awaited me. I rode under the arch, and the gate closed silently behind me, and suddenly I was afraid, though I knew no reason for it. But I rode to the foot of Orthanc, and came to the stair of Saruman; and there he met me and led me up to his high chamber. He wore a ring on his finger.' '"So you have come, Gandalf,' he said to me gravely..."
...'"...Yes, I have come," I said. "I have come for your aid, Saruman the White." And that title seemed to anger him.
...'"Have you indeed, Gandalf the Grey!" he scoffed. "For aid? It has seldom been heard of that Gandalf the Grey sought for aid, one so cunning and so wise, wandering about the lands, and concerning himself in every business, whether it belongs to him or not..."

...'"...here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman, the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!" 'I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not so, but were woven of all colours, and if he moved they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered.
...'"I liked white better,' I said.
...'"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."
...'"In which case it is no longer white," said I... '

...'...He came and laid his long hand on my arm... he whispered. "... I have many eyes in my service, and I believe that you know where this precious thing now lies. Is it not so? Or why do the Nine ask for the Shire, and what is your business there?" As he said this a lust which he could not conceal shone suddenly in his eyes.
...'"Saruman," I said, standing away from him, "only one hand at a time can wield the One, and you know that well, so do not trouble to say we! But I would not give it, nay, I would not give even news of it to you, now that I learn your mind. You were head of the Council, but you have unmasked yourself at last. Well, the choices are... ...to submit to Sauron, or to yourself. I will take neither. Have you others to offer?"
...'He was cold now and perilous. "Yes," he said. "I did not expect you to show wisdom, even in your own behalf; but I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, and so saving yourself much trouble and pain. The third choice is to stay here, until the end."
...'"Until what end?"
...'"Until you reveal to me where the One may be found..."
...'They took me and they set me alone on the pinnacle of Orthanc, in the place where Saruman was accustomed to watch the stars. There is no descent save by a narrow stair of many thousand steps, and the valley below seems far away. I looked on it and saw that, whereas it had once been green and fair, it was now filled with pits and forges. Wolves and orcs were housed in Isengard, for Saruman was mustering a great force on his own account, in rivalry of Sauron and not in his service yet... ... I stood alone on an island in the clouds; and I had not chance of escape, and my days were bitter. I was pierced with cold, and I had but little room in which to pace to and fro, brooding on the coming of the Riders to the North.... ...I was in an evil plight. And those of you who know me will agree that I have seldom been in such need, and do not bear such misfortune well. Gandalf the Grey caught like a fly in a spider's treacherous web! Yet even the most subtle spiders may leave a weak thread.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 10 2015, 4:08pm

Post #33 of 37 (1569 views)
Shortcut
That bugs me about Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

That he "did not expect [Gandalf] to show wisdom". Obviously he's become so full of himself, he can no longer discern the true nature of our Grey Wizard.

How the mighty have fallen!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 10 2015, 4:27pm

Post #34 of 37 (1567 views)
Shortcut
The Science of Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
.'"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."

This is an interesting example of Saruman's knowledge of what used to be called natural philosophy. I love that Tolkien realized that characters such as Feanor and Saruman would have had to have had at least some understanding of the natural sciences.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2015, 10:19pm

Post #35 of 37 (1557 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still continuing a book Spoiler that takes a long look at changes for the Noldor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Many there grieved for the anguish of Fëanor, but his loss was not his alone... ...Yavanna wept by the mound, in fear that the Darkness should swallow the last rays of the Light of Valinor for ever. For though the Valar... ...perceived that Melkor had called upon some aid that came from beyond Arda. The Silmarils had passed away, and... ...now the doom of the Noldor drew near.... Meanwhile Morgoth escaping from the pursuit of the Valar came to the wastes of Araman. This land lay northward between the Mountains of the Pelóri and the Great Sea... ...between the shores and the mountains were barren plains, ever colder as the Ice drew nearer. Through this region Morgoth and Ungoliant passed in haste, and so came through the great mists of Oiomúrë to the Helcaraxë, where the strait between Araman and Middle-earth was filled with grinding ice; and he crossed over, and came back at last to the north of the Outer Lands. Together they went on, for Morgoth could not elude Ungoliant... ...her cloud was still about him, and all her eyes were upon him; and they came to those lands that lay north of the Firth of Drengist..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2015, 10:25pm

Post #36 of 37 (1557 views)
Shortcut
*eyebrows shoot up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Good Point! There it is... another layer of Tolkien's stories to watch for and appreciate :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2015, 10:29pm

Post #37 of 37 (1557 views)
Shortcut
He's so deluded [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he has to judge Gandalf as he has to further justify to this betrayal. Fallen, fersher!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.