The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Curse of the Orcs on the Hill

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 27 2015, 9:59am

Post #1 of 4 (1144 views)
Shortcut
The Curse of the Orcs on the Hill Can't Post

Remember the two Orcs standing on a hill in The Battle of Five Armies trailer, looking out over the entire army?

Unless in the Extended Cut, that shot seems to have been left on the cutting floor.

Remember also the shot of the Orcs standing on a hill in The Fellowship of the Ring trailer, looking out over the entire army (presumably invading Eriador)?

That shot was also left on the cutting floor and has been destined to the 'Deleted shots' list.

Nothing more to add. Just wanted to highlight the striking similarity of composition, and perhaps the oddness that PJ would come up with such interesting shots and never making their way into the final film.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 27 2015, 11:08am

Post #2 of 4 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Some of the concepts are the same exact shots in FoTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's one that looks exactly like the gathering of the orcs in FoTR (I believe it's in the EE?), that looks is almost exactly the same as a concept art in BoTFA, except it is in daylight. I'm not sure if you can find it on Weta's site, but I know for sure it is in the BoTFA Book on Visuals and Costumes. Maybe they really enjoyed these shots and wanted to reuse them? Or maybe they were trying to build up a connection? I was about to say Erebor was in Eriador, but that's wrong it's in Rhonovian.

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Jun 27 2015, 11:13am)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jul 3 2015, 9:34am

Post #3 of 4 (677 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...those are the same two orcs and the poor fellas are always getting left behind.

"Damn it, Urznag! The squad's already left! We're gonna miss the war! Again!!!"

"I told you we should have taken that left turn at Rhosgobel!"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2015, 11:02pm

Post #4 of 4 (649 views)
Shortcut
Shirkers. [In reply to] Can't Post

They've just found a way to always look important and involved without ever actually being anywhere near the action.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.