is just 43? Unsure what?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jun 27 2015, 3:11am

Post #2 of 13 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize Richard and Dean were only five years apart. For the most part the actors seem to match up pretty well to their characters age-wise.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 27 2015, 5:52am

Post #3 of 13 (1350 views)
Shortcut
^_^ [In reply to] Can't Post

Mark Hadlow is almost 60... 60 going 12 LaughHeart

Still blows my mind that Dean is 38 CrazySly

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 27 2015, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 13 (1250 views)
Shortcut
It worked... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I didn't realize Richard and Dean were only five years apart.

Especially considering they portray an uncle and his nephew. At the same time Lee Pace is younger than Orlando Bloom yet he still portrayed his father in the films. Crazy Oh well...it still worked out.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 10:34pm

Post #5 of 13 (1194 views)
Shortcut
But an uncle can be younger than his nephew.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... often happens in large families (though I know Thorin wasn't).

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 27 2015, 11:18pm

Post #6 of 13 (1188 views)
Shortcut
You can't go by the actor's ages! [In reply to] Can't Post

We all know that PJ lopped about 30 years off Thorin's age, and made him younger than Dwalin, so really that fits. (That's interesting about Dean, he sure looks younger than 38!) And it looks like they made Oin the oldest, I don't remember any mention in the book of his age, so that's also workable. The BIG controversy is actually which Dwarf is youngest, since Adam Brown seemed to think Ori was the youngest, and was called the youngest by the Goblin King. Yet I'm pretty sure that the book says Fili & Kili are the youngest, although even the book can't seem to decide which of those two is younger.

Anyway, since according to the book we know next to nothing about the majority of the Dwarves, then it's really no problem if quite a few of them are older than Thorin.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 27 2015, 11:57pm

Post #7 of 13 (1174 views)
Shortcut
It always... [In reply to] Can't Post

... bothered me that they seemed to make Ori the youngest in the movies Crazy Not sure why though. I quite like Ori afterall. It's just... dude runs around with a slingshot in fights Laugh Would have prefered if he was older and maybe more useful. Laugh

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 28 2015, 12:44am

Post #8 of 13 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Most definitely... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually come from a very large family...I'm one of 26 grandchildren. (That does not include great grands and great-great grands). My mother is one year older than the eldest grandchild. As for a scenario where an uncle or aunt is younger than a niece or nephew? We don't have that - at least not yet - but my son who is a great grandchild is three years younger than a great-great grandchild. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. So yeah, large families are fun. Complex at times...but fun.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 28 2015, 5:26am

Post #9 of 13 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Let's talk about Ori's slingshot for a moment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... I quite like Ori afterall. It's just... dude runs around with a slingshot in fights Laugh

My sentiments exactly. I absolutely adore Ori Heart and his slingshot fits his character well. I couldn't imagine his signature weapon being something along the lines of a sword or an axe. Though he does wield a war-hammer - or something of the sort - in the goblin tunnels, and while I have not been able to tell what he uses in the BOFA I'm pretty sure it's not a slingshot.

I think when it comes to weaponry, aside from Bilbo, Ori probably has the least experience of the Company. Yet he and Bilbo both survive the BOFA while the three Durins who are suppose to be great warriors did not. CrazyUnsure Though there was more involved in the deaths of the Durin's than simply the weapons they wielded...but that's for another thread. Still there is a slight irony - based on his experience - that Ori would survive. Guess that proofs one should never disregard the kid with the slingshotLaugh...hence David and Goliath.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jun 28 2015, 7:09am

Post #10 of 13 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Oddly enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

In BotFA, according to the Weta Chronicles book he is wielding a giant Axe and is probably one of the most heavily armored of the Dwarves in their fancy regalia. They said they wanted him to look a little "lost" in all of the armor. They also subtly reduced his stomach and increased his shoulder size to show that he has strengthened over the course of the journey.

They did have an idea that Ori would find a new Slingshot, made for a Dwarven Prince sometime n the past at Erebor, but they thought since everyone else was getting large, powerful weapons, he should as well.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 28 2015, 12:38pm

Post #11 of 13 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Another "oddly" [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I recall, it was Richard Armitage who suggested that Ori wield a slingshot, and Richard Taylor who then pulled out one he'd used as a kid to use for the design.

Oversize six-year-olds at play!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 28 2015, 1:30pm

Post #12 of 13 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It always bothered me that they seemed to make Ori the youngest in the movies Crazy Not sure why though. I quite like Ori afterall. It's just... dude runs around with a slingshot in fights Laugh Would have prefered if he was older and maybe more useful. Laugh

There was an out included in the TH:DoS Visual Companion for your first objection about Ori's age. It suggested that Kili might have actually been physically younger but Ori might have come across as the youngest due to his inexperience and lack of maturity.

Frankly, I also thought that the slingshot was stupid. Ori could have at least had a more traditional (and effective) sling. It worked for the Biblical David.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jun 28 2015, 9:01pm

Post #13 of 13 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Book ages [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, the LOTR Appendices give the ages for all of the Dwarves of Durin's folk. Balin, Dwalin, Oin, and Gloin were all between 160 and 180 during the events of the Hobbit, which seems to be late middle-aged or so.

You're right that the unrelated Dwarves' ages are pure supposition on the filmmakers' part.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.