Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
We actually got most of what we asked for...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Begather

Jun 30 2015, 9:13am

Post #26 of 28 (992 views)
Shortcut
Do not agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would certainly have been a lot easier to achieve. But then, which single tone?

I do not agree with you that it would be easier to achieve.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 30 2015, 2:56pm

Post #27 of 28 (962 views)
Shortcut
Don't you? I think it might, purely in terms of producing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a coherent film adaptation and without any consideration of audience expectations. Say, for example, they had stuck strictly to the book with all the whimsical, fairytale elements intact .... Or a complete reworking, taking the outlines of the story but casting it in a more serious mode without the lightness and whimsy. My thinking was that either of those would be easier because there would be no balance to strike (though either one would have alienated a section of the audience).

But I'm interested. What difficulties do you see in a single-toned adaptation?

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 30 2015, 6:09pm

Post #28 of 28 (946 views)
Shortcut
Courage he needed courage [In reply to] Can't Post

I think technically to take the spine of the book, the appendices and your own films and to offer a single tone would have been easy to do achieve.Tolkien provided most of the answers he gave backstory for key characters and reference points for all those whom are met on the journey. Most importantly they could have worked on the Hobbit knowing that over the winter of 1938/39 charged with writing a sequel the professor very quickly discarded and rejected the tone of the original and moved toward some thing much finer more grave more sombre like his great love "The History of The Gnomes" .

What it required was a single mindedness and courage to ignore the naysayers and fans with their wish lists based on a book written for Tolkiens very young family and just do it.

I do not doubt for one moment he could have done it because he showed he could. The central character of the book, the most demanding of all of the elements to re imagine retained all his bourgeois petty pretensions AND he handled the hindsight knowledge of the ring perfectly. He brought back the quintessential english tommy changed for ever and uncomfortable with his own kind, but a hero elsewhere, back with complete credibility.

If you can get that right and please all of the various needs of the audience I am certain with courage focus and a conviction about what your doing the rest of it could have been equally right.

Ironically the things tonally which were most wrong, outside of the troll incident, were his own inventions. I just wish P & F had been more assertive with him as they were over that ridiculous self cameo sequence in Lake Town which they shouted "cut" on.

The other question is what is tone how would you describe Scene 88, the Stone Giants, The Barrels, The Forges, JCB Trolls and the Legolas insertions - bread and circuses or to use a modern reference obligatory tent poll moments.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.