The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Questions about dragon sickness:

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 26 2015, 6:36pm

Post #1 of 3 (718 views)
Shortcut
Questions about dragon sickness: Can't Post

1 - A person affected by the dragon sickness would love Sauron and the darkness instead of Aulė and Durin?

2 - a Man or Elf can be affected by the sickness?

3 - Thorin wanted to kill Bilbo on the wall? Or just hurt him?

4 - Why Sick Thorin don't wanted to fight?

Thank you.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 26 2015, 7:24pm

Post #2 of 3 (691 views)
Shortcut
Jackson's Dragon-sickness [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, Peter Jackson's version of dragon-sickness is more expansive than Tolkien's. Pofessor Tolkien wrote that a hoard over which a dragon had long lain carried a strong lure for those prone to greed. Jackson just seemed to use the term as a general description of excessive greed.

1. Having dragon-sickness would not automatically put one in league with Sauron. However, it would indicate a corruption of the spirit.

2. I think that anyone who put a great deal of value on material wealth would be subject to dragon-sickness regardless of race.

3. Thorin fully intended to send Bilbo hurtling down upon the rocks below. He was literally insane with rage.

4. What? Fight? And leave the treasure unguarded? Down, down, down! Go, go, go! Mine, mine, mine! I'm rich! I'm wealthy! I'm socially secure!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 10:17pm

Post #3 of 3 (641 views)
Shortcut
Dragon sickness is possessiveness out of control [In reply to] Can't Post

The enchanted hoard could affect anyone. In the book the Master takes some of the treasure given to his people, runs off with it and dies in the wilderness. And elves certainly aren't immune to the lure of treasure.

A person affected by dragon sickness would have no allegiance to anyone but himself and the gold. It's not about choosing good or evil, light or dark, Sauron or Aule, it's about treasure.

Thorin would have killed Bilbo. He wasn't thinking at that monent about Bilbo or what they'd been through together. He wasn't thinking at all - he'd just been robbed of his most valuable treasure, the thing he desired most.

Fight? Risk being defeated and letting someone else get their hands on the treasure?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.