The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Scariest moment in the books/movies

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 26 2015, 1:45am

Post #1 of 15 (2031 views)
Shortcut
Scariest moment in the books/movies Can't Post

This one was definitely the scariest for me! Undead Dwarves!

Well, in all seriousness, I'd have to say Gollum's Scene at the Beginning of RoTK, it isn't my favorite prologue, but it makes me look carefully at my bestfriend on his birthday...

In the books, hmm... I have to say Turin killing Beleg, I'm not sure if that's really scary or just dramatic.

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Jun 26 2015, 1:46am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 8:56am

Post #2 of 15 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Anything and everything to do with the Black Riders [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, it's a tie between the following two scenes:

It was already nearly as hot as it had been the day before; but clouds were beginning to come up from the West. It looked likely to turn to rain. The hobbits scrambled down a steep green bank and plunged into the thick trees below. Their course had been chosen to leave Woodhall to their left, and to cut slanting through the woods that clustered along the eastern side of the hills, until they reached the flats beyond. Then they could make straight for the Ferry over country that was open, except for a few ditches and fences. Frodo reckoned they had eighteen miles to go in a straight line.

He soon found that the thicket was closer and more tangled than it had appeared. There were no paths in the undergrowth, and they did not get on very fast. When they had struggled to the bottom of the bank, they found a stream running down from the hills behind in a deeply dug bed with steep slippery sides overhung with brambles. Most inconveniently it cut across the line they had chosen. They could not jump over it, nor indeed get across it at all without getting wet, scratched, and muddy. They halted, wondering what to do. 'First check!' said Pippin, smiling grimly.

Sam Gamgee looked back. Through an opening in the trees he caught a glimpse of the top of the green bank from which they had climbed down.

'Look!' he said, clutching Frodo by the arm. They all looked, and on the edge high above them they saw against the sky a horse standing. Beside it stooped a black figure.

- A Short Cut to Mushrooms, FOTR

and

As they prepared for sleep in the inn at Bree, darkness lay on Buckland; a mist strayed in the dells and along the river-bank. The house at Crickhollow stood silent. Fatty Bolger opened the door cautiously and peered out. A feeling of fear had been growing on him all day, and he was unable to rest or go to bed: there was a brooding threat in the breathless night-air. As he stared out into the gloom, a black shadow moved under the trees; the gate seemed to open of its own accord and close again without a sound. Terror seized him. He shrank back, and for a moment he stood trembling in the hall. Then he shut and locked the door.

The night deepened. There came the soft sound of horses led with stealth along the lane. Outside the gate they stopped, and three black figures entered, like shades of night creeping across the ground. One went to the door, one to the corner of the house on either side; and there they stood, as still as the shadows of stones, while night went slowly on. The house and the quiet trees seemed to be waiting breathlessly.

- A Knife in the Dark, FOTR

In the films, these two are the first to come to mind:

*shudders*

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 26 2015, 12:54pm

Post #3 of 15 (1946 views)
Shortcut
A scary scene . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the lip of the little dell, on the side away from the hill, they felt, rather than saw, a shadow rise, one shadow or more than one. They trained their eyes, and the shadows seemed to grow. Soon there could be no doubt: three or four tall black figures were standing there on the slope, looking down on them. So black were they that they seemed like black holes in the deep shade behind them. Frodo thought that he heard a faint hiss as of venomous breath and felt a thin piercing chill. Then the shapes slowly advanced.

Image result for five black riders

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 26 2015, 6:15pm

Post #4 of 15 (1930 views)
Shortcut
One of the scariest/most suspenseful moments for me [In reply to] Can't Post

was when Merry resolved that Eowyn should not die alone and began creeping up on the Witchking. One little hobbit with a knife, going up against one of the mightiest powers in Middle-earth, hoping desperately that he can move up behind him before he turns his head, sees him, and offhandedly smites him into nothingness.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2015, 12:25pm

Post #5 of 15 (1904 views)
Shortcut
In the movies - the Balrog wins by a mile! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Ever since FOTR came out the Balrog has been my Monster Standard for measuring all other monsters and scary creatures. That incredible furnace that we see and hear when he opens his mouth is absolutely hair-raising.

In the books the first thing that comes to mind is poor Fatty Bolger alone at Frodo's new house and then running for his life through the dark fields. Poor terrified little hobbit.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

cats16
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 10:35pm

Post #6 of 15 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the books, I agree 100% with BlackFox.

Movies? Unquestionably creepy Bilbo (no, not Daniel's version of that phrase) in Rivendell right before the fellowship leaves. Ugh, still gives me goosebumps today!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kim
Valinor

Jun 28 2015, 1:21am

Post #7 of 15 (1868 views)
Shortcut
One word: Shelob [In reply to] Can't Post

To this day, I can not watch that scene.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 28 2015, 8:57am

Post #8 of 15 (1841 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that's it for me! // [In reply to] Can't Post

tgshaw
The Shire

Jun 28 2015, 4:38pm

Post #9 of 15 (1830 views)
Shortcut
scariest moments [In reply to] Can't Post

In the movies, it has to be after Frodo has escaped from Shelob's lair (he thinks), and she's creeping up behind him. I always loved that scene when watching it in the theater because the audience was so with Frodo you could hear a pin drop.
More difficult to choose a single one from the book, but I think I'd pick the crawling hand in the barrow.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2015, 6:25am

Post #10 of 15 (1793 views)
Shortcut
In the book [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the scene in Moria when they are trying to sleep in the small dark antechamber with the seemingly bottomless pit in the middle. I know they are not really in danger at this point, but it creeps me out every time I read it. ShockedCrazy

As for the films, it's when the Hobbits are being chased by the Black Riders while still in the Shire. I love (well, maybe love isn't the right word Tongue) the Nazgul on horseback. The cinematography and sound effects are fantastic! And the idea that they encounter danger in what they believed to be safe territory ramps up the fear factor.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 29 2015, 6:32am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2015, 6:36am

Post #11 of 15 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Hello, tgshaw! Welcome aboard:) // [In reply to] Can't Post

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 29 2015, 9:10pm

Post #12 of 15 (1745 views)
Shortcut
The most tense moment in the book was ruined in the movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mouth of Sauron. It's unfortunate (although forgiveable) that the movie version didn't carry that sense of utter failure and fear that the book had at that moment of seeing Frodo's shirt and not knowing what's happened.

I always found Gollum scary in The Hobbit and I think the movie did a really good job of capturing that atmosphere when we first see him killing that goblin.

I remember feeling really uncomfortable in the cinema during the Minas Morgul scene, when the Witch King lets out that long screech.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 29 2015, 9:11pm)

dreamflower
Lorien

Jul 1 2015, 2:08pm

Post #13 of 15 (1685 views)
Shortcut
You got mine first! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

[In reply to]
In the movies, it has to be after Frodo has escaped from Shelob's lair (he thinks), and she's creeping up behind him. I always loved that scene when watching it in the theater because the audience was so with Frodo you could hear a pin drop.
More difficult to choose a single one from the book, but I think I'd pick the crawling hand in the barrow.

You picked both of mine for LotR! I always know that Shelob moment is coming, and yet it still makes me jump!

For TH, I'd say The entire "Riddles in the Dark" sequence in both the movie and the book. Again, a scene that creeps me out no matter how often I read/see it. *shudder* Gollum is truly creepy. I always think of Gandalf telling Frodo that Gollum crept through windows and took babies from their cradles...

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 2 2015, 8:55pm

Post #14 of 15 (1653 views)
Shortcut
This is going to sound funny [In reply to] Can't Post

In the movie FoTR, when Gandalf is trapped on that tower, and the camera drops straight down into the pit like you're bungy-jumping. My stomach lurches every time. I think bungy-jumping would be the most terrifying thing in the world, I'll NEVER do it!

But overall, I can't think of any scenes that were "scary." Creepy, perhaps, like the bugs crawling all over Merry when they first hid from the Black Rider, but can't recall any other "scary" scenes. Different strokes, I guess.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 9 2015, 4:47pm

Post #15 of 15 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Everyone has mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

most of my scariest moments in both the books and the films... but I have to say that when Frodo (in the movie) is hanging by one hand over the boiling lava and the long drop down... the look on his face as he looks up at Sam as if saying he's tired and finished... and Sam pleads with him not to let go... I was so scared... and I KNEW what was supposed to happen, but I was totally caught up in it.

Gandalf fighting the Balrog as they dropped through Moira... then the long shot as they fell through the ceiling of the underground lake... FANTASTIC! And when the Fellowship was on the Stairs of Khazad-dum! OMG!!! and they slowing began to fall away... Wow!

In the books... When Frodo is facing Faramir in the cave and finally tells all... what is Faramir going to do!?

Gandalf facing the Balrog in the book and the film... incredible!!

Actually, there are way too many moments that get me going... I have to stop. I'm supposed to be able to function here at work, afterall!!!! *heart still racing!*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.