Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its a hot one...so what have YOU been watching this week?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 8 2015, 10:31am

Post #76 of 87 (872 views)
Shortcut
Englishman! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh, I never tire of watching that movie - it's my go-to if I need something light which keeps a smile on my face. (Some may wonder why I have to stifle a giggle if we're singing "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah" in church.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 2:52pm

Post #77 of 87 (866 views)
Shortcut
it's French [In reply to] Can't Post

although the lead is played by Alan Bates.

In college there was a group that put on "films you must see" every Friday. Normally they charged 50 cents for admission, but when they put on "King of Hearts" they PAID everyone 10 cents to come in, because they were so insistent that this was the one film everyone needs to see.

I agree! don't let the fact that it's in French (subtitled) put you off; the dialogue is minimal.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 4:18pm

Post #78 of 87 (855 views)
Shortcut
Okay. I WILL be checking it out. [In reply to] Can't Post

I trust your judgement.

Toss in another side bet of Easy Virtue. A movie can't go wrong if it has Colin Firth in it.Wink

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 4:24pm

Post #79 of 87 (857 views)
Shortcut
I've only seen 4 episodes so far, but let me say...Poldark mild episode 3 spoiler... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very happy to have bought the Blu-Ray. There are several moments and several scenes that are not on the American showing on Masterpiece. They did that on Downton. I HATE when they do that! At least one of these scenes is a Ross and Demelza bonding moment that NEEDED to be included, and I have no idea why they cut it from episode 3. There were others, but this cut is insane. Yes, I may have dozed when I watched MPT on Sunday and simply missed this scene, but I don't think I did. And there were others I'm even more sure of.

If you are enjoying Poldark on Masterpiece, you need to buy the Blu-Ray. It is the UK version, and it is more complete.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 8 2015, 4:29pm

Post #80 of 87 (851 views)
Shortcut
I know exactly the scene you're talking about, Patty, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I absolutely agree. It's a shame that it, along with other bits, was cut. So I encourage anyone who is currently watching Poldark on Masterpiece and enjoying it, buy/rent the British cut. You'll love it even more!

Hernevernen!!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 8 2015, 4:37pm

Post #81 of 87 (846 views)
Shortcut
Ah, so I didn't just sleep through it on Masterpiece. I thought not. [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene not only is a bonding scene, it is a character defining moment for Ross. That cut is insane!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 8 2015, 8:37pm

Post #82 of 87 (821 views)
Shortcut
What is the point of cutting scenes out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that happen a lot? How totally annoying! Is it to fit in more ads or something?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2015, 5:58pm

Post #83 of 87 (798 views)
Shortcut
Re: Poldark/Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, I think we're supposed to be at least a little torn about her character. And I do think she is very much the product of a privileged upbringing, but I also see her as being very aware of what her duties are. She tolerates Francis, who is immature and too easily manipulated by George, but also seems to genuinely adore her son. I just wish they would do away with her lingering wistful looks at Ross. It's already a cliché, and we're only 3 eps in.

Hernevernen!!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2015, 6:08pm

Post #84 of 87 (794 views)
Shortcut
One more thought on Poldark :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've said it before but I do believe we're living in a Golden Age of television. That being said, themes for some of the most popular dramas have become awfully savage lately with torture, flaying, beatings, rape, more rape, apocalyptic events, grief and bereavement -- pretty heavy, hopeless stuff. In contrast, Poldark has a throwback quality to it. There's just something inherently sweet about it. One of my favorite bits from last week's episode was when Ross and Demelza were returning from the wedding. As Demelza skipped and sang up the hill to Nampara, Ross circled around her on his horse, as though they were still dancing together. I just found that charming. Like I said, sweet, and the series as a whole, rather refreshing for it.

Hernevernen!!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 9 2015, 6:30pm

Post #85 of 87 (791 views)
Shortcut
Starling, I have no idea why they do it… [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that the channel that the series was filmed for, just like Downton, is ITV and I believe they have commercials on that channel. When it shows on Masterpiece Theatre here in the United States there are no commercials except a little at the beginning and at the end. . So it's cut differently but I don't know what the rational is

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 12 2015, 12:55am

Post #86 of 87 (761 views)
Shortcut
Agree with all of this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I agree, I think we're supposed to be at least a little torn about her character. And I do think she is very much the product of a privileged upbringing, but I also see her as being very aware of what her duties are. She tolerates Francis, who is immature and too easily manipulated by George, but also seems to genuinely adore her son. I just wish they would do away with her lingering wistful looks at Ross. It's already a cliché, and we're only 3 eps in.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 12 2015, 12:57am

Post #87 of 87 (760 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and something refeshing about starting over, with your own merits [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've said it before but I do believe we're living in a Golden Age of television. That being said, themes for some of the most popular dramas have become awfully savage lately with torture, flaying, beatings, rape, more rape, apocalyptic events, grief and bereavement -- pretty heavy, hopeless stuff. In contrast, Poldark has a throwback quality to it. There's just something inherently sweet about it. One of my favorite bits from last week's episode was when Ross and Demelza were returning from the wedding. As Demelza skipped and sang up the hill to Nampara, Ross circled around her on his horse, as though they were still dancing together. I just found that charming. Like I said, sweet, and the series as a whole, rather refreshing for it.

and your own skills and grit to remake your life. THAT also seems out of fashion, and I can really pull for Ross (and Demelza) in creating a life for themselves.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.