First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2015, 9:47pm

Post #26 of 42 (837 views)
Shortcut
Did you get any snow in your part of Christchurch? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or did it stay further inland?

A difficulty we had was that one of Spark's cables was broken in Whanganui and the company had to wait for flooding to go down before it could be repaired. At work, we were without internet and email for two and a half days - it felt like the 1980s again!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 26 2015, 9:51pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 9:58pm

Post #27 of 42 (834 views)
Shortcut
Only a little bit, thankfully [In reply to] Can't Post

But the frosts over the last few days were very nasty, especially after it poured with rain all night and then went straight to a heavy frost. Every single road was covered in black ice, and the drive to work was horrible. There were 25 accidents within a couple of hours, including a fatal one.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2015, 10:15pm

Post #28 of 42 (832 views)
Shortcut
I read about that. I'm glad you stayed safe [In reply to] Can't Post

'cause those roads sounded treacherous.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Jun 27 2015, 1:36am

Post #29 of 42 (822 views)
Shortcut
It's gonna be a scorcher! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're supposed to get up in the 90s this weekend (that's ~32 for you Celsius minded folk). That's quite toasty for these parts - may go to a movie to take advantage of the air conditioning (most of us don't have A/C in our homes and tend to melt in any temps above the mid-80s). I'll just help myself to a strawberry lemonade while I enjoy the sunshine. Cool

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 27 2015, 4:13am

Post #30 of 42 (813 views)
Shortcut
A well-earned rest! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy your peaceful weekend, Ataahua.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2015, 5:03am

Post #31 of 42 (818 views)
Shortcut
The Eagle has landed! [In reply to] Can't Post

My son passed his Eagle Board of Review! I am beyond happy for him and so so proud of him! If there were words...

I spoke to two of the people on his board. They were impressed by his project and spent extra time just chatting with him because they wanted to get to know him better. His AP Psychology teacher wrote one of his letters of recommendation. It's his policy not to write letters unless he really feels that he knows the student. It's also his policy to send a copy of the letter to the student. My son shared it with me and I know he was pleased. I cried. Along with the man who won Teacher of the Year, this second teacher has made a significant effect on my son's life. What an amazing thing it is to have two teachers who took the time to really get to know him. They inspired him, helped him, kicked his ass a couple times... I am so grateful to these men. If there were a way to award medals for teaching above and beyond... these two men deserve it in spades.

The third man that helped him was one of the scoutmasters. He is an Eagle and his own son got his Eagle when he was 16. He is now 25 and comes back to the troop to help out. The dad never left the troop. He is what I call a true Scouter - someone who lives the Scout Law and Promise as a matter of course in his life.

We have been very fortunate to have these three men in our lives. Smile

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

Jun 27 2015, 2:46pm

Post #32 of 42 (795 views)
Shortcut
I remember when my nephew made Eagle [In reply to] Can't Post

it is an impressive achievement. Congratulations to your son!

He struggled later because he is gay and yet still loves the Boy Scouts organization. Fortunately they seem to be on the verge of changing their policies. Perhaps yesterday's decision by the Supreme Court will help!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2015, 3:25pm

Post #33 of 42 (792 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we fight the good fight from within the organization on that issue on behalf of many we know.

But now is not that time. Now we celebrate!

S'mores all around!

_

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Jun 27 2015, 3:28pm)

sherlock
Gondor

Jun 28 2015, 1:20pm

Post #34 of 42 (773 views)
Shortcut
My granddaughter has been [In reply to] Can't Post

Visiting from Florida the last two weeks. We've been having a blast. I took her to the airport yesterday & they boarded the plane & then had to wait almost three hours to take off due to the weather. It was pouring rain and foggy. Poor thing! She's home safe and I'm sad.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2015, 4:06pm

Post #35 of 42 (758 views)
Shortcut
I watched that clip of his flying "lesson" [In reply to] Can't Post

the one with all the stunts maneuvers. Oh my gosh... Yes, a learner's permit is nothing on the the cortisol scale compared to that. He'll be a great driver though. I'm sure of that!

Hope you had a nice Sunday with both the guys home!

_

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 30 2015, 1:59am

Post #36 of 42 (748 views)
Shortcut
We did have a nice day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a novelty too, all three of us home. Funny that video prompts so many people to ask, that's a simulator right? Nooooo that's the REAL coastline doing 360's there...! (For everyone else, we got our son a flight with Air Combat USA, where they fly Marchettis equipped with laser 'tags' to simulate dogfighting. No bullets or missiles but the flying is real!)

I'm a bit lost without a massive landscaping project though. Unimpressed I did go back and snag the other three saddish looking columnar apples that I saw...so I have 4 (very small) trees to site now. But some spots are opening with stuff I am sending you so they might pop in there. Yeah. That'll work. Wink

And congrats to Son on the Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!Cool

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jun 30 2015, 2:00am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2015, 11:55am

Post #37 of 42 (735 views)
Shortcut
A new kitchen!? [In reply to] Can't Post

How great will it be to do your baking in a HUGE kitchen!? Most excellent :) I hope you have fun in your destruction and rebuilding!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2015, 12:03pm

Post #38 of 42 (733 views)
Shortcut
The weather is definitely in charge [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes you just have to hunker down and HANG ON! I'm glad you "weathered" these storms, but it's scary nonetheless!

I hope you've had a great weekend and that fair weather is visiting you now :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2015, 12:05pm

Post #39 of 42 (734 views)
Shortcut
Hot Hot Hot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yeah... that's a bit on the HEATED SIDE! I think going to the movies is a great rememdy :) I hope you had a GREAT time!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2015, 12:08pm

Post #40 of 42 (735 views)
Shortcut
Great Mentors, Great Student :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Angels come into our lives when we least expect it and need it most! HOW AWESOME that your Son (and you) should be surrounded by this wonderful group of people. Your Scout worked hard for this, and thanks to all this support (especially yours) his effort has been rewarded with not only the medals/step up the ladder, but the admiration of those he admires. What better praise could there be?

Congratulations :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 30 2015, 12:12pm

Post #41 of 42 (735 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* I hear ya, sherlock! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the hard part of our g'kiddie's visits. When they're leaving and gone. My 16 yo g'daughter is coming the first of August for a couple of weeks, and I'm already girding myself for the rollercoaster of emotions.

I'm so glad your g'daughter and you had such a wonderful time. Times neither of you will every forget :)

*warm hug*

She's so lucky to have you as her grandma!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 30 2015, 12:13pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2015, 1:43pm

Post #42 of 42 (726 views)
Shortcut
Aw, thanks gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's him.

I look at him and see glimpses of my Grandpa. I see it in both my sons. If there is a genetic component for kindness (and goofiness) then they got it from him. Neither of them met him; in fact, grandparents are kinda thin on the ground in our family. Extended family is too. I sometimes envy the close families that have lots of relative either close by or able to travel. They are the cheerleaders that kids need above and beyond their parents. Finding these few good men who wanted to be part of his life has made a world of difference. It took until late middle/high school but wow! then he just took off!

I can breathe now at least. Until Girl Scout camp starts next week, that is... Laugh

_

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.