Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Anyone looking forward to the Ben Hur remake?

boldog
Rohan

Jun 26 2015, 9:15am

Post #1 of 8 (517 views)
Shortcut
Anyone looking forward to the Ben Hur remake? Can't Post

It started filming in February and is set to be released February next year. It stars Jack Huston as Judah Ben Hur
Rodrigo Santoro, a.k.a Xerxes is playing as Jesus.
Morgan Freeman is playing as sheik Ildirim, though I reckon John Rhys Davis would have been a much better option for the role.

Any one else keen for this? I know I sure am!!Smile

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

Morthoron
Gondor

Jun 26 2015, 1:19pm

Post #2 of 8 (494 views)
Shortcut
This is one of those times... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I wonder why a remake of a film is necessary at all. The 1959 version is a truly great piece of cinema and has one the most astounding stunt sequence of all time (the chariot race). Would you remake Lawrence of Arabia or The Godfather? Plus, the film is being directed by the same guy who directed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Does not instill much faith in the production.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 26 2015, 9:13pm

Post #3 of 8 (463 views)
Shortcut
Ditto Morthoron [In reply to] Can't Post

No way can they (or will they) come close to the ’59 Heston version.

But, if they pour enough $ into it I’m sure it’ll make money.
It's all about the do-re-me isn't it?

Quintus Arrius: "What is your name, Forty-One?"
Judah Ben-Hur: "Judah Ben-Hur."

Image result for heston ben hur

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2015, 10:29pm

Post #4 of 8 (451 views)
Shortcut
This. So much. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an absolute masterpiece.

The effort would be better spent getting younger audiences to see the 1959 film.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

squire
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 1:35am

Post #5 of 8 (441 views)
Shortcut
From what I've heard [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people in 1959 thought the remake was inferior to the magnificent (though silent) 'Ben-Hur' of 1925/1931.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 27 2015, 2:36am

Post #6 of 8 (434 views)
Shortcut
I agree with what everyone has posted [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Hollywood is singularly lacking in imagination (and more than occasionally good script writers) so tries to cash in on previously successful movies. My feeling is that they will be heavy on the CGI and special effects to the expense of everything else. I saw Ben Hur with Heston when it came out, and don't relish the idea of a re-make. Nor would I like a remake of other classic films, such as Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, The African Queen, Casablanca, The Godfather, Bridge on the River Kwai, etc.

Why the heck can't they make movies now that will become classics, stand the test of time? Hmm?

I remember one time I was watching Judy Garland's daughter, Liza Minnelli, on TV and someone asked her to sing Over the Rainbow. She replied, "It's been sung." That pretty much said it all.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jun 27 2015, 2:59am

Post #7 of 8 (428 views)
Shortcut
BTW, I trust that those of you with Blu-ray players... [In reply to] Can't Post

...have made a point to pick up the Blu-ray of Ben-Hur that was released back in 2011. If not, for the love of God, GET IT.

It's simply glorious. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jun 27 2015, 3:00am)

Morthoron
Gondor

Jun 27 2015, 2:51pm

Post #8 of 8 (393 views)
Shortcut
I have both... [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people in 1959 thought the remake was inferior to the magnificent (though silent) 'Ben-Hur' of 1925/1931.

And they are both great in their own way (the stunts are equally awe-inspiring). However, there were legitimate reasons Ben Hur was remade for the audiences of 1959: the original was silent and in black & white. No one at the time (and very few even now) had the patience or interest to watch silent films. A remake now doesn't really add anything to the discussion, particularly since much of it will obviously be overlaid in CGI (both scenery and stunts), and art movie houses still show the two earlier film versions on the wide screen.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.