BOFA and Richard Armitage win Saturn Awards
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Jun 26 2015, 5:21am

Post #1 of 30 (1941 views)
Shortcut
BOFA and Richard Armitage win Saturn Awards Can't Post

BOFA just won for Best Fantasy film and Richard won for Best Supporting Actor! Woohoo!

https://twitter.com/...s/614301193020379136

Silmaril
Rohan

Jun 26 2015, 7:02am

Post #2 of 30 (1807 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

mulubinba
Rivendell

Jun 26 2015, 7:57am

Post #3 of 30 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Well deserved [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well deserved. Congratulations to RA and to everyone concerned with BOFA, cast, crew, WETA, Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 26 2015, 8:39am

Post #4 of 30 (1748 views)
Shortcut
Good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very pleased for Richard Armitage – the award is well deserved.

Thank you for the info.

In Reply To
BOFA just won for Best Fantasy film and Richard won for Best Supporting Actor!

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 26 2015, 9:01am

Post #5 of 30 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh about time at least one of the actors in the Hobbit movies get some recognition! Wasn't it the same with the LotR cast? Hardly any awards given Crazy

Congrats Richard! Well deserved!!Heart

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 9:01am

Post #6 of 30 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well-deserved, I agree. Thanks for the info, Kim! Smile

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jun 26 2015, 10:04am

Post #7 of 30 (1718 views)
Shortcut
He sat on the Hannibal table [In reply to] Can't Post

because he is just about to appear as the Red Dragon in the series. They also won 3 awards for acting and for Best Network Series - and the irony is that NBC has just cancelled the show.

I am so thrilled for RA who seemed doomed always to be nominated but never to win. He really deserves an acting award for his Thorin. And I'm also pleased that Bot5A has been recognised too by the fantasy judges and fans.

Here are some shots of RA in a flower crown given him by the Hannibal team as part of their tradition:

https://twitter.com/...034629365760/photo/1

https://twitter.com/...837701918720/photo/1

And here is a selfie:

https://twitter.com/...708045578240/photo/1

And here is a cute little Periscope interview where he appears to have an American accent. Nooo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inYmWIZM4ic

Thrain II
Lorien

Jun 26 2015, 12:36pm

Post #8 of 30 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree with you! So glad RIchard finally got the recognition!
Thank you Kim for the information!

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 26 2015, 2:16pm

Post #9 of 30 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

They absolutely deserve it! It's great that someone is finally recognizing the movie!

I wish we could of grabbed the awards for Film Music too... I like HS's Battle of the Five Armies soundtrack than HZ's Interstellar soundtrack, but I guess that's just a personal preference, but I feel like HS is missing out on all the awards that he really deserves! There would be no Middle-Earth without him!

That's still great, but I wish we could have had more! But I like that Saturn's there because things like the Academies usually never nominate a fantasy movie or science-fiction movie more than once, unless it is extremely successful.

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 3:14pm

Post #10 of 30 (1562 views)
Shortcut
*SQUEEEEE!!!!!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally agree with everyone else! It's about time - the Hobbit films, cast and crew should have been running for cover from a shower of gold, silver, and crystal statues for the last few years, IMO!

And Richard's gloriously tortured, incandescent, heartbreaking and magnificent badass Thorin is IMO for the ages - oh, well, I know what movies get my money and get re-watched, long, long, after these other "award winning" films aren't even on my radar screen.Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 26 2015, 3:27pm

Post #11 of 30 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Fantasy Films of 2014 [In reply to] Can't Post

At least this was a category in which TH:BotFA could fairly compete. I'm not sure if there were any other worthy contenders beyond Winter's Tale and Horns.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 5:30pm

Post #12 of 30 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Excellent - and well-deserved! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 26 2015, 5:35pm

Post #13 of 30 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Armitage and BOFA deserve it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 6:11pm

Post #14 of 30 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Cool. Thanks Kim! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2015, 8:05pm

Post #15 of 30 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Overdue and well deserved! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

glor
Rohan

Jun 26 2015, 11:44pm

Post #16 of 30 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Well done [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially as Our Thorin was up against Oscar winner, JK Simmons in the supporting actor category.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Kim
Valinor

Jun 27 2015, 12:46am

Post #17 of 30 (1333 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering about that flower crown [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the pics right before I went to bed and figured there was some story behind it, but didn't know the significance. The one where he's "passed out" is hilarious. Laugh

Re: that Periscope video, this American still hears a British accent (except maybe for "Hi").

Kim
Valinor

Jun 27 2015, 12:55am

Post #18 of 30 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Well, those two weren't nominated [In reply to] Can't Post

And Winter's Tale was horrible IMO. Of the list, I'd say there was some good competition, including the Oscar winner Birdman (which I didn't realize was considered a fantasy film, but I didn't see it), but I think BOFA blew those away.

Best Fantasy Film Release:

Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (winner)
Into the Woods
Maleficent
Paddington

ShireHorse
Rohan

Jun 27 2015, 9:53am

Post #19 of 30 (1284 views)
Shortcut
The flower crown [In reply to] Can't Post

goes back a few years to the One Direction fandom and then spread to some others. The Hannibal fans are especially keen and insist that everyone be crowned at some point. Yes, I love that pic where he's 'out' too. I think he might have flown down from NYC where it was 2/3am at this point. But, he might also be a little sleepy-tipsy, LOL. He certainly sounds just a little that way in the Periscope interview.

Everyone disagrees with me about the American accent in that interview and, certainly, in his acceptance speech, he definitely sounds 'Yorkshire' especially when he says 'hands'. He tells an old Hobbit joke but it was probably new to this audience and always makes me laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C38WTa4qyCI

squiggle
Rivendell

Jun 27 2015, 10:53am

Post #20 of 30 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Generally, all the actors were made better characters via relationships with other characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I find in these movies that the actors' characters are often made great by the other characters, so in that way it is an shared award.

The different sides of Thorin, that you get via Balin, Bilbo, Dwalin, Smaug etc is an example of this. Finely balanced ensemble characters in that they are all kind of part of the same whole.

A deserved award Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 27 2015, 12:22pm

Post #21 of 30 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Honestly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen Winter's Tale and was only going by its reputation. Likewise, I didn't know what else was on the list of nominees. I'm not sure that I would consider either Birdman or The Grand Budapest Hotel to be fantasy films. The rest of the competition seemed weak to me.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 27 2015, 5:54pm

Post #22 of 30 (1212 views)
Shortcut
For myself [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as the best fantasy award is concerned, despite my dislike for certain aspects of the last two films, I have to say that for me BofTA is certainly an original film (not a by-the-numbers, here-we-go-again-with-the-fodder-for-the-masses affair like so many films today), and has the most fabulous visual effects, some of which I have never seen the like of before. The entire Smaug sequence, for example, is incredible. That the botched storyline lets the film down is a pity, but I still feel it merits the award.

There is also some very fine acting (especially from Richard Armitage), and that alone is worth the price of a ticket (or a dozen) for me. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 27 2015, 8:09pm

Post #23 of 30 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Collider interview with RA [In reply to] Can't Post

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9xOxMU9LM

Interesting - he was there to pick up the award for BotFA for Peter, and was surprised to be awarded his own!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 8:55pm

Post #24 of 30 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks to you and Shirehorse! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been *sulking*Cool since last night that the awards weren't televised - I mean they didn't need to be, but I really wanted to see RA's acceptance - even if it was just a quick thank-you.

As many fans have tweeted, awards for RA are LONG overdue.MadMadMad

And I hadn't heard his joke before - LOLLaugh. What a handsome, wonderful, charming, elegant man he is. PJ's choice for Thorin IMO has paid off a thousand-fold - PJ and WB couldn't ask for a classier representative of the Hobbit films (not that I don't love the other actors as well - LOL Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan!LaughLaughLaugh)

And I don't know why, I just think it's nice that Richard was with the Hannibal folks and seems to have been embraced by that group so well - but then again, why not?

The real question is - does Richard Armitage actually have any flaws?WinkWinkWink CoolCoolCool
Probably. But I am gonna guess his "flaws" are charming, too.CoolCoolCool

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 27 2015, 9:02pm

Post #25 of 30 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous post IMO! [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as the best fantasy award is concerned, despite my dislike for certain aspects of the last two films, I have to say that for me BofTA is certainly an original film (not a by-the-numbers, here-we-go-again-with-the-fodder-for-the-masses affair like so many films today), and has the most fabulous visual effects, some of which I have never seen the like of before. The entire Smaug sequence, for example, is incredible. That the botched storyline lets the film down is a pity, but I still feel it merits the award.

There is also some very fine acting (especially from Richard Armitage), and that alone is worth the price of a ticket (or a dozen) for me. Smile

I was idly watching the Dain sequence last night, and was thinking that those were-worms are incredibleHeart, the way they are done - and for me unexpected. *Snark* was raised re the "Dune" sandworms a while back - but if you love details - just look at the design of the were-worms and the way their jaws snap together and the way they snap back into the rocks - it's so organic, exactly like benthic sea creatures behave - which tells me a lot of research was doneShocked.

So, oh, yes!!!! And that's the thing, you can watch the Hobbit movies over and over and savor so much!HeartHeartHeart

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.