Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I can't make a marathon of The Hobbit in portuguese followed by a LOTR marathon

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 25 2015, 8:09pm

Post #1 of 7 (848 views)
Shortcut
I can't make a marathon of The Hobbit in portuguese followed by a LOTR marathon Can't Post

I'm actually a brazilian (this explain ma bad english) , and I have a problem to make a marathon of The Hobbit trilogy on ma country.

The voice actors of The Lord of the Rings trilogy (O Senhor dos Anéis) are not the same of The Hobbit (O Hobbit), so, it would sounds a bit strange to hear different people making the same character in a six movie marathon

Gandalf, Elrond, Gollum and All the characters who appear in LOTR has different voices.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

(This post was edited by DainPig on Jun 25 2015, 8:11pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 25 2015, 8:12pm

Post #2 of 7 (810 views)
Shortcut
^__^ [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the reasons I'm relieved they rarely do voice overs in Norway Smile Firstly because I prefer the original, but really it's mainly only children's movies they use voice overs in. I can totally understand why that would be frustrating for you.

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 25 2015, 8:19pm

Post #3 of 7 (807 views)
Shortcut
I prefer subtitled, yea... [In reply to] Can't Post

but some people enjoy more of dubbing

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 25 2015, 10:18pm

Post #4 of 7 (754 views)
Shortcut
Well hi there, Dain! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered what Country you lived in! Sorry, that must be frustrating - some of those actors have such distinctive voices (McKellan, Weaving, Armitage, etc.) I've watched the Swedish "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" movies with subtitles, but I don't know that voiceovers would have been any better. I kept up with them plenty well enough.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 25 2015, 10:41pm

Post #5 of 7 (738 views)
Shortcut
comparing the voices of Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcKSHb9VMk

The Hobbit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2pS_jaonyk

TheHutt
Gondor

Jun 26 2015, 7:53am

Post #6 of 7 (673 views)
Shortcut
In the German dub... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the German dub they managed to keep all the voices from LOTR in The Hobbit - except for Gandalf's actor who died in the meantime, unfortunately.

But all the others: Frodo, Old Bilbo, Legolas, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond - were kept. Even Pippin's German voice singing the trailer song.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jun 27 2015, 8:48pm

Post #7 of 7 (556 views)
Shortcut
Voice as part of the performance [In reply to] Can't Post

While I'm sorry to hear about the OP's problem and can see how it would be disconcerting to have different voices for the same actors, this is the deciding factor for me, when it comes to dubbing vs. subtitles:

some of those actors have such distinctive voices (McKellan, Weaving, Armitage, etc.)

I think the actors' and actresses' voices are an essential part of their performance and therefore their character (and many of them are just so RIGHT Heart for the character - Thorin, Balin, Thranduil, Galdalf...!). Some actors have used considerable amount of time to find just the right pitch of voice for the character, the suitable accent, whether they speak fast or slow or with a slur etc., the way they may emphasize some words or maybe some sounds, etc. I can't believe that most of the actors doing voiceovers would have gone to such trouble, especially when it's quite likely that they participate in several movies' worth of voiceovers in the time it took the original actors to make one film - i.e. they have less time to get "inside" the character and convey that through voice, even when they wanted to do so.

I'm just spoiled in this regard, I guess, because in Finland dubbing is just never done for movies (except for kids' films because, naturally, children are not expected to be able to read subtitles). I would never want to hear the voices of Thorin, Gandalf or Gollum etc. replaced by some mediocre Finnish actors. Shocked Even if films were dubbed here I would rather see them with subtitles, every time.

Sorry if I got carried away... But I would suggest to OP that if they would consider seeing the films with subtitles, it would remove the problem...? Of course, I suppose that some who have gotten used to dubbing would prefer it.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jun 27 2015, 8:52pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.