Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Does anyone know about this unauthorized biography?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 25 2015, 6:55pm

Post #1 of 6 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone know about this unauthorized biography? Can't Post

J.R.R. TOLKIEN: CODEMAKER, SPY-MASTER, HERO 1ST/1ST, SIGNED AND NUMBERED- 100 SPECIAL COPIES

http://shop.festivalartandbooks.com/...ial-copies-521-p.asp

Is it fanciful, unsubstantiated?

http://www.amazon.com/...graphy/dp/151183711X

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jun 25 2015, 6:56pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 25 2015, 9:06pm

Post #2 of 6 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, much ado about nothing?? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://periannath.com/...greatly-exaggerated/

http://www.aiyailuvatar.org/...ark-codebreaker.html
"He ultimately declined a job at Bletchley."

squire
Half-elven

Jun 25 2015, 9:49pm

Post #3 of 6 (1646 views)
Shortcut
It looks like fun: meta-fantasy, as it were [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien was a fantasist, so I guess it's inevitable that some fans will fantasize about him.

Lewis and Currie have a somewhat shady or substandard reputation as Tolkien scholars, I believe. The two books of theirs that I've read, "Uncharted Realms..." and "Forsaken Realm..." had some good ideas and observations, in my opinion, but there was a lot more thin, half-baked, and generally wrong stuff as well.

For example, note that the cover art of the new Tolkien was a Spy book is listed as Ruth Lacon. That is actually Elizabeth Currie, the co-editor, who uses Lacon as a pseudonym when she produces her artwork - I don't know why. I believe it's quite probable that they wrote the book but published it under the name of a pseudonymous author with themselves, somewhat ridiculously, as 'consultants'.

I love the concept of JRRT as 007. We could have a lot of fun with that, but it wouldn't be the first time.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

(This post was edited by squire on Jun 25 2015, 9:52pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 25 2015, 9:54pm

Post #4 of 6 (1634 views)
Shortcut
I suspected as much. [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2015, 5:20pm

Post #5 of 6 (1596 views)
Shortcut
It's the other way round - [In reply to] Can't Post

Ms Lacon writes under the pseudonym of Elizabeth Currie.

As for the book, yes - the name 'Elansea' is 'L and C', that is, 'Lewis and Currie'. The book is published by 'Elansea', too. So, the signed book will contain three signatures, from two people.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jun 26 2015, 5:25pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jun 26 2015, 6:26pm

Post #6 of 6 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I always think of you as fairly well connected in the UK Tolkien Society. Do you have any idea why L & C would publish this under an absurd pseudonym, if they have a real professional belief in their revisionist biography of Tolkien? As it stands, this whole thing reminds me of the kind of tabloid headlines you see in supermarket checkout lines ("Queen ordered Camilla's murder", "Blair a paid agent of the Reds", "Kim Jong Il revealed as alien life form", etc.).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.