The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What theme is that???

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 25 2015, 1:13am

Post #1 of 11 (860 views)
Shortcut
What theme is that??? Can't Post

I love all music from this fantastic trilogy called The Hobbit. But there's a song I really don't know what represents.

Here's it:

BOTFA - The Return Journey 03:09 - 03:25

AUJ - My Dear Frodo - 00:01 - 00:30

AUJ - A Good Omen - 00:32 - 00:47

Oh, yes, and this theme sounds a bit like "Sons of Durin Theme"

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

(This post was edited by DainPig on Jun 25 2015, 1:14am)

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 25 2015, 1:31am

Post #2 of 11 (829 views)
Shortcut
I don't hear it in The Return Journey? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe it was originally composed for the Eagles or Erebor, The Return Journey section you're pointing out is Gandalf's Theme. I believe this theme only shows up in An Unexpected Journey, it was replaced in the Carrock Scene by a solo I believe.

Off-topic: I just saw on the side of the video: Dominc Monaghan was playing in the Orchestra for Howard Shore/Conrad Pope?

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Jun 25 2015, 1:35am)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jun 25 2015, 11:51am

Post #3 of 11 (712 views)
Shortcut
Not sure about BOTFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Those AUJ pieces you list are an early version of the House of Durin theme. Doug Adams has commented before about it, saying something along the lines of it being a hybrid of the House of Durin and the History of the Ring themes. It's pretty brilliant if you ask me, combining two of the main themes for each trilogy in the very opening of the first film (as a kind of overture of the whole saga).

I'm not sure about the BOTFA music. To me I always thought it was a play on the Ring material, but it could well be a hybrid of multiple ideas. Shore likes to combine aspects of different themes towards of the end of each saga (see Doug's book 'Music of the Lord of the Rings Films', it's fascinating!).

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jun 25 2015, 11:52am

Post #4 of 11 (711 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Off-topic: I just saw on the side of the video: Dominc Monaghan was playing in the Orchestra for Howard Shore/Conrad Pope?

Which video? I'm intrigued by what this could be.

Also are you listening to the tracks on Youtube? The time stamps are different there to the actual tracks because the people who post them speed up or slow down the music.

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jun 25 2015, 11:54am)

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 25 2015, 12:21pm

Post #5 of 11 (696 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't sure which one he was talking about, I'm going to go grab my soundtrack, but unfortunately I don't have the AUJ Special Edition. I was going to ask, is this the Original Soundtrack or the Special Edition?

Also Pip and Merry showed up in a video for one of the movies. I'm going to check again, I think it was from The Desolation of Smaug.

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Jun 25 2015, 12:23pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jun 25 2015, 12:24pm

Post #6 of 11 (688 views)
Shortcut

For the AUJ Tracks it doesn't matter if you listen to the standard of extended (I don' think).

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jun 25 2015, 12:26pm

Post #7 of 11 (686 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Also Pip and Merry showed up in a video for one of the movies. I'm going to check again, I think it was from The Desolation of Smaug.

Ah yes, that was in the production video about the scoring. It was a clip from before FOTR was released, in the NZ scoring sessions for the Moria sequence. The two actors came along to it, and it was long before Conrad Pope was involved (some 12 years later).

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Jun 25 2015, 12:26pm)

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 25 2015, 12:28pm

Post #8 of 11 (684 views)
Shortcut
It might be a mix... [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminds me of one of the themes in AUJ, then it goes briefly into the One Ring theme, and then into Dale. I think this plays at the border of the Shire?

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jun 25 2015, 12:42pm

Post #9 of 11 (675 views)
Shortcut
Dale? [In reply to] Can't Post

What are you referring to as the Dale theme? Could you share time stamps for other pieces its in, or scenes it's used in.

What you're calling the Dale theme is probably something I call something else (there isn't a specific location theme for Dale apparently).

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 25 2015, 12:58pm

Post #10 of 11 (668 views)
Shortcut
Not the Dale Theme... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's at the end of the parts he gave us, I mean that it sounds like the theme that plays for the Laketown Survivors that's somewhat solemn, I don't think it's that specific theme though. It sounds somewhat similar to it.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jun 25 2015, 5:03pm

Post #11 of 11 (582 views)
Shortcut
I think it's the one that's been called "Bard the Hero" on JWFan // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.