The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What would have happened to Gollum?

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jun 24 2015, 11:35pm

Post #1 of 6 (1230 views)
Shortcut
What would have happened to Gollum? Can't Post

What would have happened to Gollum if the Ring had been destroyed and he still lived? I think about this every time I get to that point in the book. would he have felt free? turned good? remembered his past life? or would he have gotten angry and try to kill Frodo & Sam?

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Jun 24 2015, 11:41pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jun 25 2015, 12:27am

Post #2 of 6 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's answer was grimmer than any of those ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

On the road up Mount Doom, remember, Sam threatens to kill Gollum who has just attacked Frodo. Gollum pleads for, essentially, just a little more time to live, for he knows now what Frodo's mission is:
‘Don’t kill us,’ he wept. ‘Don’t hurt us with nassty cruel steel! Let us live, yes, live just a little longer. Lost lost! We’re lost. And when Precious goes we’ll die, yes, die into the dust.’ He clawed up the ashes of the path with his long fleshless fingers. ‘Dusst!’ he hissed. -- LotR VI.3
As I read this, the idea is that Gollum's life has been prolonged ("stretched") long past his allotted span. He is something like over 500 years old. When the One is destroyed, this passage implies that he will basically become his true mortal age and, of course, die immediately thereby.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 25 2015, 3:22pm

Post #3 of 6 (1180 views)
Shortcut
When was Gollum ever good? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sméagol doesn't seem to have been very good even before he murdered poor Déagol for the Ring. And even if Gollum wasn't immediately reduced to dust with the destruction of the Ring, I don't think that he would have lived long.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 25 2015, 5:59pm

Post #4 of 6 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Remember Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [In reply to] Can't Post

when he was trying to pick the real grail and chose... poorly? It's not pretty when you age centuries in seconds.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jun 25 2015, 10:17pm

Post #5 of 6 (1150 views)
Shortcut
well I Guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess we are all in agreement then lol!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 26 2015, 1:13pm

Post #6 of 6 (1108 views)
Shortcut
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust . [In reply to] Can't Post

Smeagol was a spoiled brat from the beginning.

Must have been in his DNA…
Or his Gramma never took the switch to his rump.
Spare the rod, spoil the Hobbit. (Oh, yes! Back in the day Hobbit elders DID use corporal punishment.) Pirate

Think he would have lived a long life anyway as a drug dealer and professional whiner.

“Give us that my preciousss! We wants it!”
Frown

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.