The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Poldark (= Aidan Turner), Anyone?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2015, 2:17pm

Post #1 of 12 (765 views)
Shortcut
Poldark (= Aidan Turner), Anyone? Can't Post

Just returned from a trip so I'm a bit late with this thread, but not too late, I hope, if anyone else has been watching Kili go full-on dark & broody romantic.

This new adaption of Winston Graham's beloved series is more melodramatic in its treatment than I expected which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's being compared a lot to Downton Abbey which is unfortunate because I see them as apples and oranges. Or, as one critic succinctly put it, Poldark is more Brontė than Austen.

But Aidan is instantly charismatic, the production values are great and the scenery breath-taking. I'm really liking Demelza,Verity and even George perhaps because he seems less cartoonishly evil than his uncle. My biggest disappointment as far as casting is that of Jud and Prudy. Phil Davis is a great character actor but somehow he's just not working for me. And I wish the story didn't feel so frantic. Too often it seems as though the narrative of many shows and movies are not really concerned with marking the passage of time.

My initial impression is mostly pleased. Aidan acquits himself well and I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.

Anyone else watching? Please have your say here! Smile

Hernevernen!!

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Jun 24 2015, 2:19pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 24 2015, 3:41pm

Post #2 of 12 (715 views)
Shortcut
Yes to Aidan! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I liked the first episode as well, and also liked Verity alot. Of course I know what's going to happen, but I almost wish he and Verity weren't cousins, LOL! It is a very fast pace, it's funny because the only other show I was interested in is "Hannibal" (because of Richard, of courseEvilHeart), and my big complaint about that one is that it's too SLOW! Maybe I'll try reading the books someday, I've read most of Austen's books and even read "North and South" after watching Richard's mini-series.

About Phil, I thought it was interesting that his character rounded up the tenants to help defend Ross against the angry mob. Prudy doesn't act like she cares much about anyone, hmmmm.

But clearly, Aidan can do full-on brooding if he wants to!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 24 2015, 6:19pm

Post #3 of 12 (707 views)
Shortcut
There was some discussion about it in the movie thread [In reply to] Can't Post

here, in case you missed it.

I really enjoyed this series and I have no idea why it would be compared to that dullsville Downton Abbey.
By the way, if you like seeing Aidan Turner being all brooding, I hope you have seen Desperate Romantics. You get to see rather a lot of him in that. Cool

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jun 24 2015, 10:55pm

Post #4 of 12 (684 views)
Shortcut
Thank you much, Birdie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will go have a gander. As to Desp Rom, I've heard of it but have no idea if there's anywhere I could watch it. Will definitely add it to my Must Check Out video lust. I mean list. Evil

Hernevernen!!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 25 2015, 12:30am

Post #5 of 12 (676 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched and enjoyed it. I haven't read the book or seen the previous version so it's all new to me (except for some spoilers that I accidentally read online), but looks pretty good so far and I'm looking forward to more. The first episode was obviously setting up lots of future drama, so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out, although I hope it doesn't go too "soap opera". Looking forward to it, though.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 25 2015, 2:54am

Post #6 of 12 (671 views)
Shortcut
My first Poldark [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read the book nor seen previous productions, so this one is totally new to me. I think Aiden Turner is adequate, but I don't find him particularly memorable in this role. He broods well, but he did better brooding as Mitchell in Being Human, methinks. Also way too many scenes of galloping along the countryside near the ocean or otherwise. I thought the most interesting character in this first episode was the new husband (I can't remember any of the names of the characters, which says something I guess). All that said, I found it entertaining enough to want to watch the second episode next week. Then we'll see if I find it interesting enough to continue on.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Patty
Immortal

Jun 26 2015, 6:28am

Post #7 of 12 (620 views)
Shortcut
Now, now... [In reply to] Can't Post

Downton Abbey was not dullsville . But you are right, I have no idea why they would be comparing the two. Definitely apples and oranges. I think the media just always want to stir things up.

I was really happy with the first episode. I hope it continues in this fantastic away. I tried re-watching the first Poldark, which I loved, but this time I could not get past when he belittles Wilberforce for, in his words, weeping so much for the black slaves and not paying attention to his own people in the prisons. Yes, prison conditions were abominable . But as in comparing apples to oranges, both were terrible things and Wilberforce was born to do what he did for that cause. Perhaps it was the timing, I tried watching it just a little bit before the slayings in Charleston happened. When it got to that point, I couldn't watch it anymore. I have happily moved on to the new version.

Permanent address: Into the West

sherlock
Gondor

Jun 28 2015, 1:26pm

Post #8 of 12 (584 views)
Shortcut
I am watching [In reply to] Can't Post

& enjoying it. He was my favorite dwarf.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jun 29 2015, 2:42pm

Post #9 of 12 (556 views)
Shortcut
I have watched the whole series on BBC [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep on watching, it's worth it!
And prepare lots of tissues towards the end: luckily we'll get a second (and more) season

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 6 2015, 2:18pm

Post #10 of 12 (488 views)
Shortcut
So, how 'bout that episode last night! [In reply to] Can't Post

A few months back I asked which show would be more romantic between "Outlander" and "Poldark." After last night's episode, I'm going with "Poldark." I mean, that scene where Ross helped Demelza out of her dress, WHEW!Wink

And FINALLY a shirtless Aidan - yep, very fine episode!!!Cool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Patty
Immortal

Jul 6 2015, 3:34pm

Post #11 of 12 (481 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely fine indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although my money is still on Outlander. I have been in love with Jamie Fraser for over 20 years.

So far I think I may actually be starting to like this new version better than the old one. As I said above, there are just some things in the old one that pushed me over the edge. But this one has the advantage of Aiden Turner being mighty fine indeed. Robin Ellis was adventuresome in his day, but I think the new more brooding version has him beat.

Thanks for the picture!

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Jul 6 2015, 3:34pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 6 2015, 8:25pm

Post #12 of 12 (471 views)
Shortcut
You definitely need to watch Desperate Romantics [In reply to] Can't Post

You will see even more of Aidan Turner in that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.