Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Mural at Avo's: copies of some Hildebrandt LotR

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 12:53am

Post #1 of 9 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Mural at Avo's: copies of some Hildebrandt LotR Can't Post

I was at the restaurant called Avogadro's Number last weekend for Freedom to Marry Day, and I took a few photos of the old murals from the 1970s. Most of them are painted over with new murals (including, alas, the one of Goldberry), but there were a few images I recognized, especially on one outside wall:
Bilbo
Gollum
And this one, that I don't recognize as Hildebrandt, but is clearly Merry and Pippin on the wall of Isengard, with a couple of LotR-ish looking characters in the foreground:
Merry and Pippin
Here's another view of that latest one:
Merry and Pippin

And there's this one, that isn't obviously LotR, but looks related
Dwarves

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

drogo
Lorien

Mar 9 2007, 1:53am

Post #2 of 9 (857 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see the Brothers [In reply to] Can't Post

in another medium! Thanks for sharing.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2007, 2:07am

Post #3 of 9 (852 views)
Shortcut
Where is that restaurant located? [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry if I seem dense.

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 1:42pm

Post #4 of 9 (869 views)
Shortcut
In Fort Collins, Colorado. Here's their website: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.avogadros.com/

You're not dense at all, I just didn't say. I'd mentioned it a while back, but of course no one can read all the posts all the time. It was a favorite spot to go out after folkdancing when I was in college. The first murals were psychedelic. They were soon painted over with these dreamlike scenes including several that incorporated characters from the Hildebrandt calendars. But there were also tigers and that fellow who looks Chinese and giant hibiscus flowers and so on. They've expanded in the past few years, and I think the place where Goldberry was is now a doorway. There are new murals in the new rooms; I think they might be by the same artist. You can see some of her work on their website. She did murals in other buildings around town as well.

The wizard in the tower is supposed to be Avogadro himself. He has a scroll with the real Avogadro's number written on it. That mural used to be inside, but in the remodeling the wall found itself on the outside of the building.

Every year Avo's hosts the Freedom to Marry Day rally. After the march, people gather at Avo's for wedding cake and live music.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 9 2007, 4:28pm

Post #5 of 9 (826 views)
Shortcut
Is that Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

on the other side of the "fire" from Bilbo? And it reminds me so much of the painting of Bilbo sitting by the fire as the Dwarves play their instruments.

I think I like that place...

(In high school we used to make jokes about "Avocado's Number"!) Blush

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 5:00pm

Post #6 of 9 (853 views)
Shortcut
*mouth drops open* I don't normally care for [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot of the Hildebrandt's work... but this is astounding! Wow! Now I've gotta commit graffiti on my house somewhere!! *twitch*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 9:34pm

Post #7 of 9 (831 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't quite look like Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

The mural is a mix of references, like that Chinese guy next to the ruins of Isengard, and next to him (but not in my photo) are some people that look like Vikings forging a sword.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2007, 10:33pm

Post #8 of 9 (836 views)
Shortcut
I just say that [In reply to] Can't Post

because I have been away from the boards for two and a half years and missed a lot of conversations. I find myself saying those words a lot. I feel dense sometimes because I always seem to be missing a piece of whatever the topic is... and I find that it eases the question a little to put the onus on myself. Wink
I don't really believe that I am dense, most of the time.

I love this restaurant that you shared with us. It makes me want to go to Colorado to visit it..and your awesome mountains too.

We, in Hawaii, have some awesome mountains, as well, though very different in nature and mostly very green, and with very vertical cliffs... and few roads go up into them. But spectacularly beautiful, particularly Kauai.

Did the Hildebrandt Bros. actually paint images on the walls of Avogadros? Thanks for the link.

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2007, 11:01pm

Post #9 of 9 (862 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't the Hildebrandts. [In reply to] Can't Post

It may have been Susan Daily, who painted some of the more recent murals. In any case, the Hildebrandt stuff was pure plagiarism, in the best sense of the word.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.