The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another June baby here!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 22 2015, 1:26pm

Post #1 of 12 (295 views)
Shortcut
Another June baby here! Can't Post

Today I intend to celebrate my birthday with special magnificence---the first half of this year was pretty stressful. But I've come through, whew Crazy

For my mathom I'm re-posting one I did many years ago, soon after the first trilogy came out.

Yes, today is my birthday. I'll draw a veil over just which birthday it is. Suffice it to say I'm one of the older people here---and it's very comforting to know there are others of my age here as well. The upside of being older is that I've known LotR for the majority of my life, which is all the richer for it. That LotR brought me to TORn is just one more enrichment!

So for your reading pleasure (or disgust, as the case may be), I present the stages of joy, or, an LotR book-lover's journey in learning to love the movies.

Shock/Denial: Gandalf, nooooo! We left none alive. He fell. My sons are spent! Frodo, nooooo!

No Bombadil. Arwen instead of Glorfindel. Warg attack. Faramir takes Frodo to Osgiliath. Arwen is dying. Frodo tells Sam to go home. Flaming Denethor. Radioactive scrubbing bubbles. No Houses of Healing. No scouring.

Anger: Now *that* was not courteous! He's a villain, Mr. Frodo! I will not bow to this ranger of the north.

PJ has walked into my house and taken my copies of LotR and thrown them on the floor and stomped on them with his big hobbit feet! How could he do this to me?

Bargaining: You need someone of intelligence on this mission, quest, thing. The closer you are to danger, the further you are from harm. Ride with me.

Well, you know, the book-Faramir did take the hobbits captive, and of course Theoden is going to be a little confused after what he went through, and some aspects of the story just wouldn't have worked for a movie audience, and I'll just put on my rose-colored glasses and hum lalalala when Gandalf whacks Denethor with his staff.

Depression: I wish the ring had never come to me. The fires of Isengard will spread. Go in or go back.

Why doesn't everyone agree with me? They're making cracks about nuclear Galadriel and I *liked* that scene, and I thought Aragorn's cliff dive was a cheap trick but other people *liked* that scene. And some of those nitpickers are *right* -- Elrond is a bit sour and Faramir is weaker and Sam would never have left Frodo.

My brain hurts.

Acceptance: I will take it. I'm glad I'm here with you at the end of all things.

Leave the analyzer behind and become the fan you were meant to be.

Ya know, PJ did a great job with the sets - Rivendell, Moria, Edoras, Minas Tirith - and the costumes are amazing, and the actors are excellent. Those New Zealand landscapes are perfect. To choose only two of many scenes from the book, the Ride of the Rohirrim and the Balrog are wonderfully realized. And PJ added some really good scenes, such as Boromir's death and Arwen's vision of her future. The music is breathtaking, Gollum is a CGI triumph, and, and.... It's my heart that hurts. But I will not say, do not cry, for not all tears are an evil.

Today, little Tornsibs, life is good!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 22 2015, 5:54pm

Post #2 of 12 (254 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for the lovely mathom. Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 22 2015, 7:37pm

Post #3 of 12 (241 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

..from (ssh) another of the older people...

I love your mathom. Made me smile, and understand, and smile, and .....

Happy Birthday! May your presents be as meaningful as your mathoms Smile

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2015, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 12 (234 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday, my solstice neighbour! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy your magnificent celebration - a well-earned one.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 22 2015, 10:30pm

Post #5 of 12 (233 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

That mathom was fun, and brought back the old days. Yep, I had many of those same thoughts. On the balance, the movies were more good than bad. But what really made the journey worthwhile was the people I met here. You're one I'm very glad to have met!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 23 2015, 12:26am

Post #6 of 12 (226 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday Lily!!!!!!!!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2015, 1:57am

Post #7 of 12 (223 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully you've gotten all the awfulness out of the way in the first half of the year and will get all the fun in the second half!

Thanks for the mathom, too. For my part, I was so horrified when I heard about the movies that nothing they changed held a candle to the awful possibilities I had once feared, and I came out rejoicing, no anger or bargaining stages required. There's occasionally some advantage in being a pessimist! Wink

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 23 2015, 2:50am

Post #8 of 12 (222 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of the day, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not of the first part of this year, of course - but those surgeries are over and done with, and now you can gradually move on. Smile

I do appreciate these "stages of grief" - somehow, it sounds like much of the stuff over on the Hobbit board! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 23 2015, 3:12am

Post #9 of 12 (214 views)
Shortcut
*snert* That's darned funny Dernwyn! Good thing I wasn't drinking milk. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I do appreciate these "stages of grief" - somehow, it sounds like much of the stuff over on the Hobbit board! Laugh

Kim
Valinor

Jun 23 2015, 3:24am

Post #10 of 12 (211 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit that I never had to go through the stages of grief for any of the M-e movies - for me, they were all a joy to watch from the beginning. But I'm glad you found your way through to Acceptance! Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 23 2015, 12:19pm

Post #11 of 12 (197 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday, Lily! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 26 2015, 4:59pm

Post #12 of 12 (156 views)
Shortcut
Happy Happy Belated Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you had an excellent Birthday! It sounds so awesome! And I'm so delighted that you're enjoying reading without any problems :)

HUGGLES!

sample

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.