The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Percy seeing Bard trying to kill Smaug

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 20 2015, 11:08pm

Post #1 of 16 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Percy seeing Bard trying to kill Smaug Can't Post

In BOTFA we have a scene, on the shores of the long lake, where Percy appears and say something like that: "I saw him! He hit the dragon using a black arrow!" Then everybody come to touch Bard, the Dragonslayer.

I really hope there's a small scene on the EE where we can see Percy leaving Esgaroth and seeing, at the top of the tower, Bard with Bain killing Smaug with the black arrow!

Please Peter Jackson Evil!

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2015, 11:16pm

Post #2 of 16 (1019 views)
Shortcut
I'd like that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't necessarily need to see him witness the final kill. But it'd be cool to at least have a shot or two of Percy seeing Bard jumping across the rooftops to at least establish that he was keeping an eye on Bard. And we know that there will be some more stuff with Bard in the beginning of the EE. Adding Percy wouldn't be necessary, but I think it'd be a nice touch.

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 21 2015, 12:35am

Post #3 of 16 (976 views)
Shortcut
Many things on the movies wouldn't be necessary [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We don't necessarily need to see him witness the final kill. But it'd be cool to at least have a shot or two of Percy seeing Bard jumping across the rooftops to at least establish that he was keeping an eye on Bard. And we know that there will be some more stuff with Bard in the beginning of the EE. Adding Percy wouldn't be necessary, but I think it'd be a nice touch.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2015, 1:06am

Post #4 of 16 (963 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly what the extended editions are for.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 21 2015, 6:44am

Post #5 of 16 (897 views)
Shortcut
The dragon walk towards Bard wasn't hidden [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug was speaking loud to be heard by Bard from hundred yards of distance

"You ! Bowman !"

Percy did certainly know that Bard had kept a black arrow, that only a black arrow could pierce dragon scales, and that in the end Smaug died.
So he didn't even need to see the killing to get to conclusions.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 21 2015, 2:53pm

Post #6 of 16 (809 views)
Shortcut
What Percy knew... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Percy did certainly know that Bard had kept a black arrow, that only a black arrow could pierce dragon scales, and that in the end Smaug died.
So he didn't even need to see the killing to get to conclusions.

Did he? Bard's own family didn't know that he had the Black Arrow until he revealed it to them and the company, so why should we think that Percy had any knowledge of it? It seems more likely to me that he witnessed Bard take his shot.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 21 2015, 5:17pm

Post #7 of 16 (766 views)
Shortcut
Bard's family are children [In reply to] Can't Post

So they are not supposed to be associated with his 'secret' activities, only to protect them because the Master's police could ask them.

Percy seems more to be in the trust of Bard, and Bard couldn't be the only one to know about the Black Arrow, for he could have been killed anytime.
If Bard's son didn't know about it, so at least someone else did have to.

Bard said to his son "You didn't have to know". He didn't say : "Nobody had to know"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 21 2015, 8:53pm

Post #8 of 16 (702 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, maybe not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might be more inclined to agree if there was some actual evidence instead of just conjecture.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 21 2015, 8:59pm

Post #9 of 16 (693 views)
Shortcut
You just asked [In reply to] Can't Post

"so why should we think that Percy had any knowledge of it?"

My answer is a conjecture, cause it didn't have to be a certitude.
'Maybe' is sometimes enough. That is open-minding.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 22 2015, 4:25am

Post #10 of 16 (630 views)
Shortcut
Yes. It is possible that Percy knew of the Black Arrow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your previous post was not a conjecture, though. You stated that it was a certainty that Percy knew about the arrow, which is false. He may have, but there is no evidence or proof that that was the case.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 22 2015, 4:50am

Post #11 of 16 (626 views)
Shortcut
Given the plot, [In reply to] Can't Post

and the relationship held between Bard and Percy, it's a 'who else ?' question

The most important clues are that Percy stated that Bard used a 'black arrow' to pierce the dragon, and nobody (except Bard's son) was close enough to see what kind of arrow has been used by Bard.
So, Percy was most certainly in the confidence about the hidden arrow, since Bard's son wasn't

We're almost certain that neither Laketown police did know about the remaining arrow, nor the Master and his better spy Alfrid. Knowing Smaug was coming, they would have called for the arrow, and given it for a try to something else than Bard.
Which would have been the end of the town as Smaug (we'll see in EE) destroyed the windlance as soon as he arrived.

(This post was edited by Milieuterrien on Jun 22 2015, 4:51am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 22 2015, 4:56am

Post #12 of 16 (624 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Black Arrow was about four times the size of a normal long bow arrow; in reality it would more accurately be described as a ballista bolt. It would be easy to distinguish it from a regular arrow.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 22 2015, 5:06am

Post #13 of 16 (619 views)
Shortcut
Maybe but if so, [In reply to] Can't Post

What would have Percy distinguish it from a regular ballistic arrow ?

I guess the windlance arsenal was not void of that kind of arrows, don't you ?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 22 2015, 5:56am

Post #14 of 16 (609 views)
Shortcut
Since you seem to want to keep this going... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the Black Arrows for the Windlance had a very distinctive appearance. The Windlance might have been mounted on the roof of the Master's Great Hall more for prestige than for anything else. We have no clear indication that any new bolts were made for it (although the point is probably moot since the device is apparently one of the first things that Smaug destroys). In any case, any ballista bolts made by the Men of Lake-town might not be of fine enough quality to be able to kill a fully-grown dragon. The Black Arrows seem to have been crafted by the dwarven smiths of Erebor.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 22 2015, 6:15am

Post #15 of 16 (603 views)
Shortcut
I don't specially need to keep this going [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not suggesting, to keep it going, that something else than the proximity of the Dragon justifies the windlance : prestige ? Which prestige ? Is anti-aircraft warfare a matter of prestige ?
Nor I'm suggesting that a black windlance arrow seen from far away during night time and fire time has an appearance 'very distinctive' than a regular windlance arrow...

On the other hand, I think we could agree that Percy may have thought that only a black arrow, dwarvish-made, and not a regular one, could kill the dragon.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 22 2015, 6:26am

Post #16 of 16 (601 views)
Shortcut
Granted... [In reply to] Can't Post

Any new ammunition produced for the Windlance probably wouldn't have resembled the Black Arrows too closely because of their rather unique design. However, as you say, Smaug's attack was at night (under a magically-appearing full moon, considering that the moon was just past new just hours previously). And, once you get past the details, the basic features of such a bolt would be fairly standard (head, thick shaft, feathering, etc.).

What it comes down to is that Percy claims to have witnessed Bard taking down Smaug and I find no reason to doubt his word. Or to think that he had any prior knowledge of the bolt.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 22 2015, 6:27am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.