The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tauriel and Bolg

boldog
Rohan

Jun 20 2015, 3:20am

Post #1 of 6 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel and Bolg Can't Post

Something that a friend observed during their fight scene has confused me for a while. When Bolg is lifting her up by the throat, he makes a gesture with his tongue. Now the way I saw it was simply showing how much of a monster Bolg really is. Makes sense because he is an Orc.
Now my friend came up with another theory. He reckons that Bolg was making like a sexual gesture towards her. Now considering the situation, Could it be possible that if Bolg had overpowered Tauriel he could have maybe raped her?
Now I know this sounds terrible and im 100% certain this wasnt the intended case.
But since my friend told me this, it kind of confused me and got me thinking about how Orcs view women.
Do they just kill them without any second thought like everyone else, or would they possibly have sexual thoughts too?

Sorry for a really disturbing thread I just needed to get this thought off my chest Crazy

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

(This post was edited by boldog on Jun 20 2015, 3:21am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 20 2015, 4:31am

Post #2 of 6 (1608 views)
Shortcut
I thought he was thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hm, tasty! Nice snack." Not sure that's a sexual thing or not, really never thought about Orcs that way.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 20 2015, 7:43am

Post #3 of 6 (1564 views)
Shortcut
No, he wouldn't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..that gesture was more like "Hmmm... wonder what elf blood tastes like." I think he does something similar when he fights Legolas, but I might be making that up. And if you remember, Lurtz licks his sword/ does something similar, licking the blood from his sword/knife when he's fighting Aragorn.

The private life of orcs is another question altogether, but in the context of the Hobbit, and the whole film sequence it's safe to dismiss what your friend said. Orcs are vile, cruel and have an unfortunate taste for blood which they use to taunt their opponents - and that's all the gesture means.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jun 20 2015, 7:49am

Post #4 of 6 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, Celebrian was "tormented" by orcs, and had to leave middle-earth from it, and that's probably the most evidence you'll get - it just depends on interpretation.

Arandir
Gondor

Jun 20 2015, 8:08am

Post #5 of 6 (1554 views)
Shortcut
This reminds me of a similar incident in DoS ... [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I did think that Bolg's tongue-licking gesture at Tauriel was a cross between sexual tension and a tasty snack.

Same thing appears to be the case with the scene in DoS when Thranduil is interrogating the orc.

When Tauriel rebukes the orc and is sent off by Thranduil, he sort of shakes violently, with a lustful expression on his face as he looks at her.

http://www.youtube.com/...v=gz3I7HCsMOU&t=1m9s

It can be interpreted in many ways of course, but it seems to be another instance between sexual desire and pure hatred.

Maybe it's looking too much into things, but I've always wondered whether this was intentional or not Unimpressed

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jun 20 2015, 8:16am)

Lindelorne

Jun 28 2015, 10:22pm

Post #6 of 6 (1113 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that too... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he looked quite creepy the way he was looking at Tauriel.

Isn't one of the origins given for orcs that they are former elves tortured and twisted into foul creatures of evil? If that's the case it would kinda make sense they would view female elves as being sexually attractive as well as a delicious snack.

Then again another origin is meant to involve being created from sentient slime right? Or have I misremembered that?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.