The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"To Kill an Alfrid"

KRRouse
The Shire

Jun 20 2015, 1:36am

Post #1 of 9 (915 views)
Shortcut
"To Kill an Alfrid" Can't Post

An op-ed discussing Alfrid's death in the upcoming BOT5A Extended Edition and how it affects his overall role in the movies.

http://whatsnewwithkru.blogspot.com/.../to-kill-alfrid.html

--

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jun 20 2015, 2:32am

Post #2 of 9 (867 views)
Shortcut
Problem is... [In reply to] Can't Post

This lady assumes that all of the stuff that's been discussed in a specific EE speculation video is 100% going to make it into the EE. To my knowledge there has been no "scene list" for the EE, if there were I'd expect there'd be a topic devoted to it.

It may be that Alfrid's death was removed because it no longer fit with the role that they gave him, or Peter Jackson may have changed his mind. We cannot be sure on this one yet.

(This post was edited by Pandallo on Jun 20 2015, 2:33am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 20 2015, 6:17am

Post #3 of 9 (805 views)
Shortcut
Bomby...did read through your Blog [In reply to] Can't Post

Very detailed work..
yet some assumptions will just have to wait.

Many of us have seen the Parallels
between Alfrid & Grima..YET?

Related..D'OH..no..
TOO Far-fetched.

This is definitely worth a re-READ
Tomorrow..to explore your
Other parts of this.. Wish list

"Thang you".. for posting your work..
your Buddy, Bomby
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 20 2015, 8:33am

Post #4 of 9 (783 views)
Shortcut
I think it was a great idea [In reply to] Can't Post

... to have Alfrid quitting the scene without dieing.
The missing of his death was as moral-shaking as all his presence.

Still there, somewhere, still ennoying.
Like a flee or a mosquito somewhere in the room unseen but there.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 20 2015, 8:48am

Post #5 of 9 (777 views)
Shortcut
I concur [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus, there is more than enough of him in the third film as it is.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Jun 20 2015, 8:48am)

squiggle
Rivendell

Jun 21 2015, 1:38am

Post #6 of 9 (610 views)
Shortcut
I trust the ee team with Alfrid [In reply to] Can't Post

How ever they do it, it's a pretty good chance it will fit within the overall film great.

Alfrid's role in DOS was a big part in what created the great town square oratorys section, which is the best scene of that type i know in movies, & in DOS in general, he was a central component in what made the story of Laketown click.

The DOS ee made up so much ground from the theatrical, the most out of any in the series i'd say, it's really superb, so what ever options they go with for Alfrid, i think will work within the context of the greater movie.

Personally, i would like some more of Alfrid in the BOTF, or at least some additional resolution, as just from the theatrical he does just seem to be dangling in it abit, but we all know how ees can have a different look. Tongue

(This post was edited by squiggle on Jun 21 2015, 1:39am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 21 2015, 1:47am

Post #7 of 9 (603 views)
Shortcut
I don't want any more Alfrid [In reply to] Can't Post

under any circumstance, there's already too much of him. The biggest problem with a shot of his death scene is that he was almost killed in Dale, but was saved by Bard. So in a way his "death scene" already happened, it was just interrupted temporarily. He's gone, that's all I care about. There are many more things on that list that I'm more interested in, like the alleged confrontation between Thranduil & Gloin - now THAT would be interesting!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Jun 21 2015, 2:40am

Post #8 of 9 (591 views)
Shortcut
Wait a minute... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did this list of "scenes to expect in the EE" come from? I haven't seen anything about it outside of that blog post.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jun 21 2015, 3:39am

Post #9 of 9 (580 views)
Shortcut
EE Speculation video [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a popular EE speculation video on YouTube which is quite fascinating, but none of it has been confirmed to be in the actual EE. It's a culmination of interviews, voice clips, and info. from other material (the Weta books, for instance) and compiling everything into what we *might* see.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.