First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 19 2015, 11:53pm

Post #26 of 34 (368 views)
Shortcut
More context ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmmh.
The context was a chocolate tip too much.
And the fat man blew litteraly in the room, all his inside stuff splashed on walls and faces Wink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 20 2015, 11:12am

Post #27 of 34 (344 views)
Shortcut
Not something I remember… [In reply to] Can't Post

…so can't comment on it, though I suspect it would probably be one of the things I don't like in MP, as opposed to many of the Cleese moments, for example. However, if you are including this as some sort of justification for what PJ has done in the Hobbit, I'm afraid it just isn't a good argument.

The Hobbit is not a comedy (unlike MP), and while some subtle, clever humour could have been appropriate to the film, PJ is just not a good comedy writer, by any stretch of the imagination. His attempts at humour in LotR were equally ineffective (e.g. Gimli), though at least, despite his growing confidence, visible in each film, thankfully they were generally not gross.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 20 2015, 11:13am)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2015, 12:05pm

Post #28 of 34 (337 views)
Shortcut
I should think one has to acknowledge personal taste [In reply to] Can't Post

This is surely better phrased as whether or not the individual viewer finds something funny personally than slipping into generic statements that the material is or is not funny at source?

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 20 2015, 1:27pm

Post #29 of 34 (321 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say it's a matter of taste [In reply to] Can't Post

...but rather a matter of meaning (to be debated).

I don't see Alfrid's antics as a piece of comedy, but as pieces of relief in the midst of cruel battle.
What else would people ask for ? Dwarves killing orcs ? Orcs killing people, Orcs raping Laketown gals ?

Would that be subtle ?

Sure Alfrid was an opportunist, but I don't see in which scene he was gross.

- He asked if Thorin was someone to trust, then Bilbo stepped ahead.
- He suggested the Master to throw out the gold, and he went thrown himself instead
- Ignoring about Bard, he tried to take charge of the town, but was too hated to achieve it
- Bard coming, he proclaimed him King before anyone else

and so on.

For me, his scene where he hides as a woman, then abruptly shows himself angry against Hilda Bianca asking him to battle is not gross, but weird and funny.

(This post was edited by Milieuterrien on Jun 20 2015, 1:34pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 20 2015, 1:52pm

Post #30 of 34 (315 views)
Shortcut
I should think one has to acknowledge the inappropriate use of humour [In reply to] Can't Post

…in a classic work by Tolkien, as displayed by Alfrid among other things, at the very least. It can be conceded, however, that according to a subjective assessment some people may judge Alfrid, toilet humour and similar gross-outs as being hilariously funny.

Since I have no wish to engage in circular arguments, that's the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2015, 4:56pm

Post #31 of 34 (299 views)
Shortcut
A classic populist work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Again I would say that appropriateness is a matter of personal viewpoint. One could happily argue that Tolkien's works are now, and always have been, distinctly populist and as such we think of appropriateness in context.

But yes, I would agree, humour is a very broad spectrum and encompasses those who shriek in scandalised horror at a hem showing a lady's ankle to those who enjoy Frankie Boyle and The Thick of It.

As you say, that is clearly the end of the matter!

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 20 2015, 7:05pm

Post #32 of 34 (284 views)
Shortcut
We could also blame the fatigue [In reply to] Can't Post

of Peter Jackson.

He clearly went far on the fatigue side, jumping in a train, counting on his cups of tea.
Surely his late work has been slightly more reminiscent of his early works than they had in LOTR,
but he had many gaps to fill and had to get on his own.

I understand that may not be your cup of tea, and I believe PJ would have listened to you if he had time to.

We can also notice that apparently Warner never asked him to avoid such trend, though it would have been easy for them. But did Warner want the Hobbit achieve another 'Oscar' status ? I'm convinced that they didn't want that, from the very beginning.

The pressure of time was tremendous on the creative side and may have attacked PJ so hard that he went on a somewhat regressive path. I won't blame him for that, even if a little less audiences will get happy with it.

A man is a man and a relief is a relief.
And there are so many other reasons to admire the achievement...

(This post was edited by Milieuterrien on Jun 20 2015, 7:06pm)

adt100
Rohan

Jun 22 2015, 12:16pm

Post #33 of 34 (239 views)
Shortcut
I don't even think most of the humour was 'inappropriate'... [In reply to] Can't Post

You say it wasn't suitable in a 'classic work by Tolkien', as though this were some lofty tome of deep and 'serious' content that should not have any frivolity injected into it. This isn't war and peace, it's a fun, light hearted children's fantasy book. With respect of the films, I thought Alfrid fitted perfectly into the scenes he was in, and whilst all humour is subjective, in every screening I was at a large part of the audience did seem to fin his scenes funny, myself included.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 22 2015, 2:27pm

Post #34 of 34 (222 views)
Shortcut
Good [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad for you that you appreciate it.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 22 2015, 2:28pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.