Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Grateful, thankful for The Hobbit movies!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jun 18 2015, 1:02pm

Post #1 of 33 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Grateful, thankful for The Hobbit movies!! Can't Post

Remember when it looked like The Hobbit would never happen? I remember thinking "please please please get these movies made while Ian McKellen is still able to play Gandalf! Please get these films made while Hugo Weaving and Cate and Christopher are still around..."

And now we have three wonderful Hobbit movies that stand next to LOTR, created by the same team and starring many of the same cast members.

In light of Christopher Lee's death, I am even more thankful that we got the movies we got. You guys...fans can complain and grumble and argue about how THEY would've made the movies...but the reality is nobody but Peter Jackson had that privilege. And I think he did a most wonderful job.
Every time I watch one of the Blu Rays, I smile. What a gift....what an amazing gift PJ gave to us. In 2011 we had three Middle Earth movies. Now, just four years later, we have six epic Middle Earth films. They do work together as one epic, or they work as six great chapters.

I am not looking for any argument on this thread. There are plenty of other threads to complain if you so desire. I am grateful for The Hobbbit! If you are too...let's hear you. :)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 18 2015, 1:15pm

Post #2 of 33 (1451 views)
Shortcut
That's good [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that someone finds the films perfect.Angelic

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jun 18 2015, 1:39pm

Post #3 of 33 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Sigh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never said "perfect".

To my knowledge there has never been a movie that is perfect. If you expect perfection, that's what leads to disappointment!

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 18 2015, 1:50pm

Post #4 of 33 (1424 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather have no cake than bad cake // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jun 18 2015, 2:04pm

Post #5 of 33 (1419 views)
Shortcut
the movies are good [In reply to] Can't Post

is just I would liked to see the story of bilbo more focused, but if you are not expecting that the movies are GREAAT

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 18 2015, 2:22pm

Post #6 of 33 (1411 views)
Shortcut
*Smile* I remember not caring that much [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho I've posted that before...but life was being a pain around the time I found out that Peter Jackson was making the Hobbit movies, so I thought he was just taking a break planning to "make some kiddie movie", e.g. a director stepping out of his comfort zone, or something.

Every time I watch one of the Blu Rays, I smile. What a gift....what an amazing gift PJ gave to us.

Oh - yes. At least for me, watching the Hobbit films...I've always loved the iconic meeting of Gandalf and Bilbo from the book, and there was OMG SIR IAN MCKELLAN!!!!!!!!! as Gandalf!!! and this "young Bilbo" - an actor I didn't know much about - with this "perfect perplexed look" - being older than 5 years I don't often wriggle in delight but right then and there - OMG, I was just GONE into Middle Earth.TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Then the "perfect dwarves" start showing up, Dwalin, Balin, Fili, Kili....and the leader of our company, the jaw-dropping Thorin Oakenshield....."far to the East, over ranges and rivers....."HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

So I ended up with the Hobbit films as my personal favorite films of all timeHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart and owning multiple copies and books and collectibles and spending an inordinate amount of time on the 'net trolling for images and articles and learning about swordmaking and armor and all kinds of cool stuff....

And while LOTR maybe not be my favorite, favorite, there are scenes I think I will always thrill to, and I don't even think any remake will be able to do better - just the scene of the Black Rider's horse rearing in Bree "They were once men...great kings of men...." and Eowyn standing looking into the distance, and the lighting of the beacons, and the Balrog and the Nazgul leaving Mordor and Wormtongue hissing "but you are alone" and Theoden "and who would come? No, my lord Aragorn - we are alone"

*Grins* time for some replays this weekend - provided - sigh - we don't get thunderstorms that mess with the power, argh!Unimpressed

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 18 2015, 2:59pm

Post #7 of 33 (1392 views)
Shortcut
There are many thrilling things in FotR in particular [In reply to] Can't Post

The Black Riders in FotR were one of the best things in all the films. They are so menacing and brilliantly imagined. Just seeing that Black Rider silhouetted in the moonlight and other scenes like that, and hearing the music, which was so perfectly paired with the scenes, was worth the price of a ticket. These Nazgul were vastly better than their later versions, including those on the CGI beasts, which were not menacing at all.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 18 2015, 3:08pm

Post #8 of 33 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Yes to this.... with bells on! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the films, imperfections and all: the whole glorious, ambitious, imaginative, mind-blowing package. They make me smile, they help me escape from a world of tax forms and sorting out the recycling bins and doing the laundry. They're a walking picture book, with words and music, and the characters are like old friends.

And as if that weren't enough, there's the other story to wander through as well - the story behind the films. The skills, the planning, the ups and downs - the personalities involved who, though they aren't friends in any real sense, they have opened this window on their working lives all these years and they feel familiar.

Fact is, I wouldn't have made the movies, I wouldn't where to start (or what to do next). But I'm profoundly grateful to the people who have, and stand in awe of their achievement. I'm sorry it's (almost) over, but so grateful I was here to see it happen, and can go on enjoying it.

Thanks for this thread!

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 18 2015, 3:34pm

Post #9 of 33 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Refreshing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's refreshing to see a positive post about the movies Smile

I love the movies too, but BotfA is painful to watch because of how much better it could have been. Because I know they can do better than that. But I absolutely love AUJ and DoS Heart

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 18 2015, 5:26pm

Post #10 of 33 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, the lighting of the beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

and that magical scene in FoTR after they leave Rivendell, and the music swells as Gandalf steps between two stones, followed by Legolas, Gimli, etc. - yeah, gets me every time!

THANK YOU PETER!!!Smile

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 18 2015, 5:35pm

Post #11 of 33 (1319 views)
Shortcut
I am grateful, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

As an American I didn't know who Martin or Richard were, well really none of the dwarves, and they were all SOOO good!!! I think AUJ is probably as close to perfect as you can get, and I'm SOOOO glad they didn't recast Gandalf - it was Ian McKellan or NOBODY, as far as I'm concerned. I would not have seen the movies if they'd recast Gandalf, no way!

And of course, lots of beautiful New Zealand landscape, reminding me of how much I wanted to go to NZ when the LoTR movies first came out. Back then it was "Yeah, that would be cool someday," but NOW it's closer to reality - YAY!!! I have yet to do a 6-movie marathon, but will probably happen sometime this summer, oh yes, precious!

See, it's really not all about Thorin, but I must confess there is one thing that I'm most grateful for:

Being introduced to the incredibly talented Richard ArmitageEvilHeartHeartHeart

THANK YOU PETER JACKSON!!!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jun 18 2015, 5:47pm

Post #12 of 33 (1315 views)
Shortcut
To another place... [In reply to] Can't Post

These movies...all six of these movies...transport me. They take me to Middle Earth, to places comfortable and frightening, to characters kind and terrible.

I'm tired of the nit-picking, the negative reactions. I see nothing in these films but joy. No, they're not perfect. NOTHING IS PERFECT. That's called life.

I went to LOTR in the theater, not having read the books. I remember going into Return of the King with GREAT trepidation. Sam was one of my favorites and I was convinced he was going to die saving Frodo!

I remember watching the drama unfold as The Hobbit inched closer to production. The studio...the change in directors...the labor union...Peter's illness...it went ON AND ON.

Look, I'm a school teacher. And I've made movies with my students. They are nothing...NOTHING...close to what PJ and his team have accomplished.

See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw_r_T2Mhmg

So maybe I know just a little teeny tiny bit about making a movie. Again, I am not comparing myself to PJ. But this one hour video took blood, sweat and tears. I can barely imagine what it took PJ and his wonderful team to create these six epics...and more recently these three Hobbit epics. And that's exactly what they are: epics.

The music, the scenery, the acting...AHH! I could go on and on (and just might).

I love The Hobbit! And if you don't, that's OK. But please don't tell me that I am somehow "wrong" for loving these movies. I wouldn't tell you that YOU are wrong.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2015, 7:02pm

Post #13 of 33 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

These movies add joy to my life. They transport me to a land of wonder and beauty. They make me want to be a hero.

Many thanks to Peter Jackson and Co.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 18 2015, 7:28pm

Post #14 of 33 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only for the joy and excitement they themselves have brought me, but also for leading me to Tolkien and here, to this fine place. As corny as it may sound, these films have truly changed my life. Smile

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 19 2015, 12:02am

Post #15 of 33 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Not having read the books at the time [In reply to] Can't Post

I am totally with you, Jeffrodo. I love all six of the movies. I first watched the LOTR trilogy at home on DVD several years after they were in the theaters. I'd never read the books either. When you said this:

In Reply To
Sam was one of my favorites and I was convinced he was going to die saving Frodo!

It reminds me so much how I was when watching the films for the first time! That was so true, it was so nerve-wracking! I think folks who already were familiar with the story had no idea how suspenseful it was to movie-firsters like us, not knowing how the story turned out, not knowing if one or more of the characters were about to die at any moment. I remember right up until the moment when Frodo was hanging over the lava in Mt Doom, I still thought he was going to die. I was holding my breath!

Since then I have the books, and they and the films and the music have a place in my life and heart that are completely unique. Sadly, with the passing of Andrew Lesnie and Christopher Lee, I feel now that an age has passed. It is only my opinion, but I feel there will be no more films. So, we have the books, we have the films, we have the music. I treasure them. When you say you are happy and grateful, I know just what you mean :-).

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 19 2015, 2:07am

Post #16 of 33 (1118 views)
Shortcut
i dunno... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd would say the majority of the threads here are in praise of the movies.

Kim
Valinor

Jun 19 2015, 2:44am

Post #17 of 33 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I went into AUJ hoping for the same fun experience I had with the LOTR movies, but I ended up with so much more. I couldn't imagine the Hobbit movies without Ian McKellan as Gandalf, and RA and MF were fantastic in their roles. The other dwarves, Bard, Thranduil, Radagast were all so fun to see brought to life. All six movies are within arms reach at all times, ready to pop in so I can visit that other world and characters whenever I want. I am also grateful to AUJ for being the catalyst to bring me here - my first online community. TORn has spoiled me for any other sites. Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 19 2015, 12:31pm

Post #18 of 33 (1043 views)
Shortcut
"An Epic Motion Picture Trilogy Coming Soon From New Line Cinema" [In reply to] Can't Post

As if it was yesterday...a Small gold seal on the cover of LOTR
In a Book Store, Christmas 1999.

Changed everything
since your friend here, had
more or less given up Hope there would EVER
be a GREAT BIG Film adaption of my favorite childhood books.

Same Brother got me the paperbacks for Christmas 1966.
Same Brother got me the One Volume Edition for Christmas 1999.

WAS Worried @ first, it would be lame like the other attempts to
bring it to the Screen in 1970's 80's etc...

THEN something Remarkable Happened?

As Bomby began finding out more of
Who, What, When, Where & HOW
it was coming together in
New Zealand !
Of all places?

Something just seemed RIGHT
Something just seemed PERFECT

Someone Bomby didn't know was directing
Someone Bomby didn't know was playing many of the Leads..

Friends of your Friend here,.. got pretty sick of
Bom's Obsession...
BUT once they finally did see them, they came
Back
Blown away...& Thanked me, Like
Bomby had something to with it.?.?. {*snicker*,*snicker*}

NOW, in 2015, we finally come to the End of our Adventure..
BUT

"Once Tolkien takes hold, he NEVER lets go."

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 19 2015, 12:34pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 19 2015, 3:32pm

Post #19 of 33 (1015 views)
Shortcut
You can be grateful and critical at the same time. [In reply to] Can't Post

And as flawed as they are, I still enjoyed them, and I can't help being a little sad that they're over.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jun 19 2015, 4:00pm

Post #20 of 33 (1004 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, absolutely! I started this thread because I wanted to express my overall love of these movies. I am not blind though and certainly admit they have some problems. I just wanted to keep things positive. Like many of you, I have issues with:

1.) The overuse of CGI. I wish The Hobbit more closely "matched" the look of LOTR and had that same realistic, "lost history" vibe. It does to a degree, but not to the extent I would've preferred. I would've preferred "bigatures" instead of CG sets. I would've preferred actual Orcs in make-up and not a CG army. OK, moving on...

2.) The "non Tolkien" style humor and silliness. The Goblin King's "song" is one of the those moments I just hate. It's too contemporary and takes me out of the moving. The burping, snot, etc....yeah, not my favorite. OK, moving on...

3.) The romance between Tauriel and Kili...just didn't work. Too forced, too obvious...it just fell apart. OK, moving on...

That's about it. I had no issues with Legolas or Tauriel (as a character), the three film split (LOVED that actually!), the emphasis on Thorin...I'm good with all that. I love these movies and I can be critical of them. But I'd rather just focus on what I love about them and not what I would've changed. :)

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 20 2015, 1:27pm

Post #21 of 33 (897 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think what made people mad was The Hobbit was more controversial, there were many different ways to take on it. It is still amazing, and if you look into the detail you will realize all of these things.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 20 2015, 1:44pm

Post #22 of 33 (893 views)
Shortcut
Why a romance would have to 'work' ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course the romance between Kili and Tauriel didn't work, because neither the dwarf nor the she-elf believed in such a relationship at the first place.

They were like a cat and a dog put together and just asking themselves why they should struggle.
Kili met Tauriel as well as he would have met other elves in Rivendell
Tauriel wanted to see the outside world and not only her kin

Something grew between them because of circumstances.
Dwarves are known to fall in love only once in all their lifetime. Kili kept asking himself if she was the one
and he told her only when he was dying 'for good'.

On her side, she only discovers that love may become nothing else than suffering the loss of the beloved

So that is not a 'working love' in the usual meaning, but does it have to ?

(This post was edited by Milieuterrien on Jun 20 2015, 1:45pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 20 2015, 2:11pm

Post #23 of 33 (881 views)
Shortcut
For me The Hobbit did everything I predicted it might... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me The Hobbit did everything I predicted it might do and hoped that it wouldn't. The unnecessary comic relief, the over the top action, the over-abundance of LotR references.

Before the movies came out I thought they might do this and hoped that they wouldn't. Not only did they do all of these, but they ramped it up to 11, there is zero subtlety in these movies. I don't see that as being controversially inventive, I see it as Hollywood being predictably terrible.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 21 2015, 12:29am

Post #24 of 33 (840 views)
Shortcut
you're not the only one with this prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25, and it seems that 'The Hobbit' will be the same kind of film."--Christopher Tolkien

Bofur01
Lorien

Jun 21 2015, 6:22am

Post #25 of 33 (803 views)
Shortcut
That's clearly not the same prediction... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cat was saying it'd be just like Lord of the Rings.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.