The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien's Legendarium versus Astronomical Reality

Arcorann
The Shire

Jun 17 2015, 1:17pm

Post #1 of 9 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Legendarium versus Astronomical Reality Can't Post

I've just published an extended article discussing the astronomy in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, and in particular the errors Tolkien made with respect to lunar phases and solar years.

The introduction reads as follows: "At first glance the attention to chronology and time in Lord of the Rings is quite impressive. Lunar phases seem to be consistent throughout the narrative, calendars have been worked out in detail, even including adjustments for the drift with respect to the solar year. From this basis many have attempted to extend the calendars in the story to the present day, and more than one have claimed to be able to pin down the exact date of the destruction of the Ring. However, with a sufficient level of astronomical knowledge it is quickly seen that many of the assumptions Tolkien made are invalid, which turns matching the chronology with actual history into a complete mess. This article will explain why and attempt to find some ways to remedy this matter. As a "bonus" it also contains a new proposed chronology for The Hobbit."

The original plan was to post this to every forum from which I took info (so that the original posters will see the mistakes I've pointed out to them), but there ended up being too many of them. Hopefully word will get around anyway.

Comments are welcome, of course. I want to make sure that I'm not the latest in a long line of people who've tried to point out mistakes only to make mistakes themselves (as discussed in the article). Also, if anyone has access to the articles that I mentioned I wanted to have a look at, please let me know.

Finally, it should be noted that I put the version as "only" 0.8900 0.8901 for a reason - I will be making revisions to this in the coming days.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 17 2015, 4:44pm

Post #2 of 9 (1758 views)
Shortcut
That is a very interesting essay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, thank you. I did not expect to see some of my own conjectures cited in another work, especially my very speculative ones concerning the lengths and years for the various ages (including those following the Third Age of Middle-earth).

I still stand by my own conclusions for the date of Durin's Day in TA 2941 (22 Winterfilth); however, I am interested to find out if the time of moonrise would create a problem for that. Mainly, I am uncomfortable with veering too far from Prof. Tolkien's text. I will note that Tolkien indicated that the seasons were generally not observed with equal lengths; Summer and Winter tended to be longer than Spring and Autumn. I don't know if this would have been the case with the Dwarven Calendar of Durin's Folk, of which we know little.

In Part 8 it is noted:

It is clear, then, that one needs a pretty significant event to fix this internally, one that would be cataclysmic and world-altering in its magnitude. With this in mind, let's assume that Lalaith was wrong about the Downfall of Númenor not affecting the millennial deficits, and consider how much the length of the year would have to be affected to fix the solstice timings.

Could such a cataclysmic event at the end of the Fourth Age account for the geological and geographical differences between Middle-earth and the modern world? What effect might that have on changes in the Solar Year?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Arcorann
The Shire

Jun 20 2015, 1:30pm

Post #3 of 9 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Re: That is a very interesting essay [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Firstly, thank you. I did not expect to see some of my own conjectures cited in another work, especially my very speculative ones concerning the lengths and years for the various ages (including those following the Third Age of Middle-earth).

I still stand by my own conclusions for the date of Durin's Day in TA 2941 (22 Winterfilth); however, I am interested to find out if the time of moonrise would create a problem for that. Mainly, I am uncomfortable with veering too far from Prof. Tolkien's text. I will note that Tolkien indicated that the seasons were generally not observed with equal lengths; Summer and Winter tended to be longer than Spring and Autumn. I don't know if this would have been the case with the Dwarven Calendar of Durin's Folk, of which we know little.

In Part 8 it is noted:

It is clear, then, that one needs a pretty significant event to fix this internally, one that would be cataclysmic and world-altering in its magnitude. With this in mind, let's assume that Lalaith was wrong about the Downfall of Númenor not affecting the millennial deficits, and consider how much the length of the year would have to be affected to fix the solstice timings.

Could such a cataclysmic event at the end of the Fourth Age account for the geological and geographical differences between Middle-earth and the modern world? What effect might that have on changes in the Solar Year?

Thanks for your comments. I'll address your post by paragraph.

One of my aims with this article was to incorporate as much relevant information as I could find, which is why in my lists you can see a lot of people were cited, whose speculations had varying degrees of robustness. I presume you don't mind being cited next to people with even less evidence for their speculation.

I believe that if Tolkien was able to rewrite large portions of the Hobbit in order to retcon parts that aren't consistent with the Lord of the Rings, I should be able to as well. It's also known that he was planning a full rewrite in the 1960s, as mentioned in the article. Of course, I knew that this opinion would be controversial when I wrote it.

I'd be interested to see a citation re: seasons not being observed with equal lengths, since I don't recall reading anything of the sort.

As for my opinion on whether a cataclysmic event might have occurred at the end of the Fourth Age, let me point to the title of my article: "Tolkien's Legendarium" versus "Astronomical Reality". I was able to use the Downfall as a rather handwavey explanation for the year length inconsistency because it was an established part of the Legendarium. The presence of such an event at the end of the Fourth Age, by contrast, is pure speculation. While a Downfall-level event would be able to cause the effects you described, there isn't any evidence for it either in the legendarium or in reality, so I find it unlikely.

I'm currently writing up some revisions to my article, since I've found some new information I want to incorporate. This will take a few days.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 20 2015, 2:14pm

Post #4 of 9 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Observance of the Seasons in Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd be interested to see a citation re: seasons not being observed with equal lengths, since I don't recall reading anything of the sort.

For this we have to go to The Lord of the Rings, Appendix D "The Calendars."

In Middle-earth the Eldar also observed a short period or solar year, called a coranar or 'sun-round' when considered more or less astronomically., but usually called loa 'growth' (especially in the north-western lands) when the seasonal changes in vegetation were primarily considered, as was usual with Elves generally. The loa was broken up into periods that might be regarded as long months or short seasons...there were six of these 'seasons', of which the Quenya names were tuile, laire, yavie, quelle, hrive, coire, which may be translated 'spring, summer, autumn, fading, winter, stirring'. The Sindarin names were ethuil, laer, iavas, firith, rhiw, echuir. 'Fading' was also called lasse-lanta 'leaf-fall', or in Sindarin narbeleth 'sun-waning'.

Laire and hrive each contained 72 days, and the remainder 54 each. The loa began with yestare, the day immediately before tuile, and ended with mettare, the day immediately after coire. Between yavie and quelle were inserted three enderi or 'middle-days'. This provided a year of 365 days which was supplemented by doubling the enderi (adding 3 days) in every twelfth year.

After a discussion of the Shire Calendar, the text continues:

A few other names may be mentioned that have a reference to time, though not used in precise reckonings. The seasons usually named were tuile spring, laire summer, yavie autumn (or harvest), hrive winter; but these had no exact definitions, and quelle (or lasselanta) was also used for the latter part of autumn and the beginning of winter.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 20 2015, 2:15pm)

Arcorann
The Shire

Jun 25 2015, 6:33am

Post #5 of 9 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Re: seasons [In reply to] Can't Post

The first paragraph describes one specific calendar, in which there were six seasons in total, and in particular two between the end of summer and the beginning of winter. This doesn't apply to the dwarven calendar where winter follows immediately after autumn.

The second paragraph you quoted doesn't really prove anything as to whether the seasons were observed with equal lengths or not. Besides, even when they are observed with equal lengths that doesn't mean that they necessarily have fixed starting points.

At any rate, my analysis derives the end of autumn/start of winter based solely on lunar motion; the fact that it coincides with a convenient definition is simply a consequence of that.

Revised version has been delayed since I've been busy, but I expect to have it out before the end of the month.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 25 2015, 3:08pm

Post #6 of 9 (1599 views)
Shortcut
More about the seasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The first paragraph describes one specific calendar, in which there were six seasons in total, and in particular two between the end of summer and the beginning of winter. This doesn't apply to the dwarven calendar where winter follows immediately after autumn.

We can't say with certainty that some of this wouldn't apply to the dwarven calendar; we don't know enough about it. Still, it is a fair point.

The second paragraph you quoted doesn't really prove anything as to whether the seasons were observed with equal lengths or not. Besides, even when they are observed with equal lengths that doesn't mean that they necessarily have fixed starting points.

I've seen the passage interpreted differently but, when you get down to it, it really is ambiguous isn't it? I think that it has at times been conflated with the previous statement.

At any rate, my analysis derives the end of autumn/start of winter based solely on lunar motion; the fact that it coincides with a convenient definition is simply a consequence of that.

In Appendix D, Tolkien does write that the hobbits of old had ended the year at the finish of Winterfilth (October), beginning both winter and the new year with the start of Blotmath (November)--a tradition that was probably adopted from the Men of the Anduin Vales. We can speculate that the Dwarves of Erebor might have similarly adopted their observances of the seasons from the Men of Rhovanion, as their tradition seems very similar. I would suggest that the Dwarves began their winter with the start of their New Year which would coincide with the last new moon of the harvest season. As such, the start of the dwarven New Year and winter would roughly coincide with the beginning of November.

Arcorann
The Shire

Jul 5 2015, 1:01pm

Post #7 of 9 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Update - version 0.9400 [In reply to] Can't Post

I just pushed a major update to the article, incorporating references to the writings of Sergei Belyakov. His writings are totally in Russian, and as such are essentially unheard of in the English-speaking community, but they contain some intriguing chronological and astronomical information. In particular, I've put in the chronology for the Hobbit that he first proposed in 2003, as well as his conjecture for the dates of the various Ages.

As usual, comments and feedback are welcomed.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 5 2015, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 9 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Day in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for me? My definition of Durin's Day if combined with the lunar ephemeris for 1864 gives exactly one possibility: 8 Blotmath. The new moon would have occurred on the 6th, corresponding to 31 October 1864; on the following day a check using Moontool or similar shows that the moon would not be visible in the region of the Lonely Mountain (central Europe). Thus, 8 Blotmath is the first day on which the moon is visible, and since the moon is nearly two days old it would be visible at sunset. Of course, none of this accounts for any lunar shifting from that year that might take place.

Well, we disagree, but I understand your reasoning. Mainly, we differ on when the Dwarves might have begun the season of Winter. I do think that your date provides sufficient time to allow for the Battle of the Five Armies and its consequences to play out while still giving Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn enough time (about one month) to reach Beorn's house before the beginning of Yuletide. Your solution also suggests that the Dwarves use a different scheme from the Shire-hobbits for counting the days of the week, but this is a reasonable and not unlikely supposition. Essentially, 8 Blotmath represents a date that is later than I am comfortable with only because it seems to give the Dwarves too much time both to find the Secret Door and then wait for the start of their New Year.

I would say that 22 Winterfilth is the earliest probable date for Durin's Day of TA 2941 while 8 Blotmath would be the latest probable date.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 7 2015, 4:12pm

Post #9 of 9 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Reckoning [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tomorrow begins the last week of autumn," said Thorin one day.

It is too bad that we know so little about the Dwarven calendar used by the Folk of Durin. If we knew how they reckoned the seasons, months and weeks then all of our questions might be answered concerning Durin's Day. We are told in The Hobbit that Durin's Day of TA 2941 fell on the day following Thorin's statement above. We already know what were the astronomical conditions of that day. We can only guess, though, what the Dwarves reckoned constituted the end of autumn and the beginning of winter.

I've been speculating that the Dwarves of Erebor, like the Hobbits when they dwelt in the Anduin Vales, borrowed from the traditions and practices of the Men of Rhovanion and considered the beginning of November to be the start of winter. This would be especially convenient as both the Men and the Halflings of the region also reckoned this as the start of the New Year. If this were actually the case, it would all but confirm that 22 October was the Durin's Day of 2941.

On the other hand, it seems equally probable that the Dwarves might have thought of the middle of November as the start of winter, as this falls one and a half months before Yuletide and the Winter Solstice (Mid-winter). This supports your contention that 8 November is a more likely date for Durin's Day of 2941. Also, we don't know how the Dwarves reckoned weeks; 8 November could well have been at the beginning of one of their weeks. There is no reason to think that Thorin, speaking to Bifur, was using the Shire Reckoning.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.