The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
For booklovers

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2015, 12:49pm

Post #1 of 7 (380 views)
Shortcut
For booklovers Can't Post

This is a really nice 3 1/2 minute video of a beautiful leather-bound hand-made book being made. I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.facebook.com/...53712577550/?fref=nf

I took a book binding course once and still have some of my experiments. We even learned how to make our own marbled paper, which was cool. Anyone else love the look of special books?

Arabian Nights and Grimm's Fairy Tales

blank journal book with case

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

(This post was edited by Elarie on Jun 17 2015, 12:49pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 17 2015, 11:13pm

Post #2 of 7 (321 views)
Shortcut
I've often thought [In reply to] Can't Post

if I ever retire and have time on my hands, I'd love to learn how to bind books in the old way, using leather covers & endpapers & all.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Jun 17 2015, 11:27pm

Post #3 of 7 (318 views)
Shortcut
check these out [In reply to] Can't Post

http://bookriot.tumblr.com/...t-by-isobelle-ouzman

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2015, 11:46pm

Post #4 of 7 (312 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just amazingly intricate and beautiful.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 18 2015, 1:14am

Post #5 of 7 (305 views)
Shortcut
Oooh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a precision art, yet so satisfying! I love watching this kind of artistry. Thank you!

(I wonder what they're using for thread - when I repair signatures (my office has "Book Hospital" above the door), I use unwaxed dental floss! Laugh)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 20 2015, 3:25pm

Post #6 of 7 (265 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, very nice! I do some bookbinding too. [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite one was a leather cover I put onto a battered paperback book called "The Book of Weird" (well worth buying for a fantasy fan, by the way.). Here are a couple of photos: photo 1, photo 2

I also make journals with sewn signatures, but I use plain cardboard covers so I can insert them into reusable covers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 21 2015, 12:31am

Post #7 of 7 (241 views)
Shortcut
That is SO cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gorgeous - I am just super impressed. What a treasure.

I don't mind reading e-books, but I can't imagine ever giving up beautiful, tangible REAL books! In fact, I saw a really funny post on Facebook yesterday of a photo someone took of her mother using her Kindle as a bookmark in a book. LOL - I think there's some sort of unintentional ironic social commentary happening there! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.